Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cian_r wrote: »
    Will the DCM be split into start waves based on our original finish time estimates? Does anyone know if its possible to change which wave you are in? perhaps at the expo prior to the race?

Yes and yes, ask at the information stand at the expo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    There should be a bunch of us trying for 3.15 alright !
    Mr.W.

How about 3:45? Anyone interested in forming a little group?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭boccy23

Hi All

Looking for some advice here. I have been training consistently since May for DCM and all has gone well or at least had until the last two LSRs. I have consistently upped the mileage while following the Asics plan and have no issues at 13, 15 or 17 miles. But last week and this week I had planned to do 20 miles.

In both of these at 18 miles I have tanked. I assume this was the dreaded wall. Legs go to jelly and had to walk/run the last bit. On Sunday this was in the Athlone 3/4 when I got the final hills.

For these LSRs I was doing a pace of 6:30/Km. My aim initially was a 4:15 pace on marathon day. But the doubts are now setting over where to aim on the day.

During training I have not used gels. I have relied on glucose tabs and a mix of honey/ salt in water. As I say, this plan worked fine all the way until beyond 18 miles.

So based on this, what should I do in 3 weeks time? Use gels and keep 4:15 or 4:20 in mind.

Just for reference the 5 miles this year was 40:50, 10 miles was 85 mins and the half was 1:58 (tough day!).

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Maybe I'm going blind but when will we be used with our numbers etc, sorry this is my first Marathon.

Thanks

You collect your number at the Expo on the saturday and Sunday before the marathon
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/faq/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Thanks and just see http://www.dublinmarathonexpo.com/

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 arrabalero

boccy23 wrote: »
    Hi All

Looking for some advice here. I have been training consistently since May for DCM and all has gone well or at least had until the last two LSRs. I have consistently upped the mileage while following the Asics plan and have no issues at 13, 15 or 17 miles. But last week and this week I had planned to do 20 miles.

In both of these at 18 miles I have tanked. I assume this was the dreaded wall. Legs go to jelly and had to walk/run the last bit. On Sunday this was in the Athlone 3/4 when I got the final hills.

For these LSRs I was doing a pace of 6:30/Km. My aim initially was a 4:15 pace on marathon day. But the doubts are now setting over where to aim on the day.

During training I have not used gels. I have relied on glucose tabs and a mix of honey/ salt in water. As I say, this plan worked fine all the way until beyond 18 miles.

So based on this, what should I do in 3 weeks time? Use gels and keep 4:15 or 4:20 in mind.

Just for reference the 5 miles this year was 40:50, 10 miles was 85 mins and the half was 1:58 (tough day!).

Hey there. I read your post and had to sign in in the forum. I´ll be running my first marathon in Dublin and we have very very similar numbers and similar problems.
    I also did a 1/2 in 1:59 so I guess we are both trusting in BIB effect on the big day....I can´t run at 5:40/km in a regular training but on racing days things are different and we find an extra strenght somewhere.
    On Sunday tried a 32Km run but hit the wall big time and had to stop at 30. 6:20 speed. Not too bad for a practice. Still, I will stick to plan and will try 4:15 on the big day at a 6:00/km pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

arrabalero wrote: »
    On Sunday tried a 32Km run but hit the wall big time and had to stop at 30. 6:20 speed. Still, I will stick to plan and will try 4:15 on the big day at a 6:00/km pace.

Just read those two sentences again and maybe re-think your race day strategy.

Just read those two sentences again and realise just how clearly you're heading straight for a massive crash and some very slow and very painful miles at the end of the marathon.

Hehe. Yes it sounds badly. Still there are other factors to consider...elevation gain was tougher than the one at Dublin, with the last 10k permanently up...and specially temperature...21degrees with the sun hitting on you back is also worse weather than I am expecting. In Ireland (Im running in Madrid)
    I may reconsider pace to 6:05 after the last runs i will do before the race, but still will be close to 4:15 time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Like the Dragons, I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. Hope u are back running soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that the pain in the side of my leg will be prevented by the new shoes,

Ok, my new supportive shoes have stopped the pain in the left hip but my right knee is ruined after Athlone. As far as I can tell, I've sprained my medial collateral ligament and can't walk without a limp now. For what it's worth, Athlone went according to plan pace wise with a 3:07 finish when I'd planned for roughly 3:10.

I could be out of DCM now.

Doesn't sound good Fraggle. A pity. It was always going to be tough for you with your long run pace though. A case of too much, too fast, too soon I fear. An earlier start to the training next time will make a huge difference.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Doesn't sound good Fraggle. A pity. It was always going to be tough for you with your long run pace though. A case of too much, too fast, too soon I fear. An earlier start to the training next time will make a huge difference.

I haven't given up yet. A few more days rest and some NSAIDs could make all the difference. I'm going to see if cycling still works for maintaining fitness and do a load of stretches. I've beaten two ileo sacral sprains this year already so I can beat this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that....clinging on myself. I think I'll basically be doing a jog with a large number of people in a few weeks time.

Have been completeyly wiped out with a virus/flu the last week :(

Still feel like dogsh1t today so not sure when I'll be back on the road.

Have had a topsy turvy year with training anyway but this is deffo something I could have done without

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

potential foot ligament trouble following long run at the weekend, hoping its just from too long on feet, in 2 minds whether to run tonight/tomorrow to find out or to rest til the weekend, but not looking good either

Anyone could post or link to a nice Dublin Marathon elevation chart? I found a very basic one but would like an accurate one. (In meters, if possible, i dont handle feet too well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

is it too late to change ur wave/time allocation...

ultraman1 wrote: »
    is it too late to change ur wave/time allocation...

I think you can do this at the expo when collecting your number.

arrabalero wrote: »
    Anyone could post or link to a nice Dublin Marathon elevation chart? I found a very basic one but would like an accurate one. (In meters, if possible, i dont handle feet too well)

http://connect.garmin.com/page/activity/activity.faces?activityId=17172626&actionMethod=page%2Factivity%2Factivity.xhtml%3AuserSwitcher.switchSystem&cid=13896727

• Advertisement

2 quick unrelated questions:

1) Currently getting over a nasty virus/flu which has meant that I've only ran once in the last 10 days and missed my last planned LSR (35k) last weekend.

Assuming I get over it in the next couple of days - should I still attempt to do the LSR this weekend or try something more conservative (or wrap myself up in cotton wool)?

2) Does anyone know what the process is for collecting someone else's number for DCM? Seems to be some mixed messages on Facebook about signed written consents but haven't heard of this before :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Cartman78 wrote: »
    2 quick unrelated questions:

1) Currently getting over a nasty virus/flu which has meant that I've only ran once in the last 10 days and missed my last planned LSR (35k) last weekend.

Assuming I get over it in the next couple of days - should I still attempt to do the LSR this weekend or try something more conservative (or wrap myself up in cotton wool)?

2) Does anyone know what the process is for collecting someone else's number for DCM? Seems to be some mixed messages on Facebook about signed written consents but haven't heard of this before :confused:

1)I'd say maybe do 28-30km if you are feeling fully recovered. 35km might be just too much at this stage. Of course it's dependent on the quality of the rest of your training up til now.

2) I got this message from their info email address yesterday:
    If you give your acceptance e mail with photo id and a letter of consent someone else can pick it up for you with their photo ID
    Written consent is just a one or two liner signed by you to say you authorise the person holding the letter to pick up your number.

Cheers Belcarra -

Still not 100% after the virus tbh - might err on the side of caution. I think my main goal at this stage will be making it to the start line and finishing in a semi-respectable time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Cheers Belcarra -

Still not 100% after the virus tbh - might err on the side of caution. I think my main goal at this stage will be making it to the start line and finishing in a semi-respectable time :o

Difficult enough as it is to deal with missing the last long run, id be worried that the immune system may not yet be 100% and after stressing yourself on a long run this weekend you may end up in a worse condition next week. Just my humble tuppence worth....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Never make up a missed workout. If you missed a short amount of training (say, up to 5 days) then just jump right back into the schedule as if nothing had happened and do not try and add additional workouts.

If you're still trying to recover form whatever affected you then absolutely definitely and unquestionably (was that clear enough?) do not try and cramp in extra training.

Thanks for the replies guys.....

I guess the barely audible sensible runner in my head was saying the same thing (ie. don't blow several months of training on doing a long run whilst half-sick/half-recovered) so probably needed to hear from someone else too ;)

Thanks for the replies guys.....

I guess the barely audible sensible runner in my head was saying the same thing (ie. don't blow several months of training on doing a long run whilst half-sick/half-recovered) so probably needed to hear from someone else too ;)

I suppose I should have listened to a voice in my head that said doing a long run with a sore knee was a bad idea and now I've been limping all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah before connemarathon this year I ended up missing about 2 weeks of training due to illness (bout 3 weeks before to 1 week before), and was presently surprised by how well I performed on the day. Probably only bout 5mns slower than I had hoped.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah before connemarathon this year I ended up missing about 2 weeks of training due to illness (bout 3 weeks before to 1 week before), and was presently surprised by how well I performed on the day. Probably only bout 5mns slower than I had hoped.

That's good to hear. I think I'll focus on rehabilitating my knee and not worry about missing a few runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Got a mad pain in the side of my knee after doing the 10mile Frank Duffy run. Told it was my ITB. Gutted. Took a week off and got back training but with short runs. After a 5 mile run, it hurt like hell. Pain was gone though after about an hour. Cut back training again, seen a physio and he gave me hip strengthing exercises. I just wanted to run but did as I was told. Came to the half marathon and I bottled it as I was still in a little pain. I was gutted but felt I couldn't risk the half marathon over the full one. Back training in full swing now and did a 15 miler last weekend and no pain and felt great. I was so happy I wanted to go back out for another run :) Roll on the DCM. Sorry for a long story, just wanted to tell someone :o

Advertisement