Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Finished the Kingston Garmin 24 miler today, that's my last long run before DCM done.

Can't wait for DCM now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

The article up on Fit magazine's page today says the pacers are every 15 minutes. Which is right, 10 or 15, I wonder?

Suppose we'll find out at the Expo!

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/magazine/article/hit-your-target-with-a-pace-setter

Actually, just noticed they've said it's wrong & they'll change it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

HelenAnne wrote: »
    The article up on Fit magazine's page today says the pacers are every 15 minutes. Which is right, 10 or 15, I wonder?

Suppose we'll find out at the Expo!

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/magazine/article/hit-your-target-with-a-pace-setter

It's deffo 10 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

pistol_75 wrote: »
    It's deffo 10 mins

Thank you! And they've also just said it's wrong & they'll change it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Thank you! And they've also just said it's wrong & they'll change it!

Yeah, that was me that told them it was wrong. Being one of the pacers I should know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah, that was me that told them it was wrong. Being one of the pacers I should know ;)

And a good one. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Anybody still waiting on email confirming number and barcode etc? I got mine but a friend is still waiting on his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

TRR wrote: »
    Anybody still waiting on email confirming number and barcode etc? I got mine but a friend is still waiting on his.

I didn't know anything about this. So I should be getting an email from DCM? Must check my spam...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Thanks for this - would have missed email !

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Ososlo wrote: »
    I didn't know anything about this. So I should be getting an email from DCM? Must check my spam...

Yep, I got mine on Friday but it's the type of email that could easily get marked as spam...

The email is from confirmation@eventmaster.ie if that's any help, it gives you a link to your acceptance slip that you need to bring to the expo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Haven't got it yet. When did you get yours??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Yep, I got mine on Friday but it's the type of email that could easily get marked as spam...

The email is from confirmation@eventmaster.ie if that's any help, it gives you a link to your acceptance slip that you need to bring to the expo

cheers for that. Nope checked emails/spam/junk and nada. Maybe I forgot to actually enter:eek::eek::eek:
    Wouldn't that be hilarious:D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

cheers for that. Nope checked emails/spam/junk and nada. Maybe I forgot to actually enter:eek::eek::eek:

:eek: :)

I'm not sure what order they send them out in, but I was in very early (December 31st!) plus they have thousands to send so I'm sure it'll take time to get them all out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You can check if you're entered here:
    http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLIN-2013#b=na&v=ptrack

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

:eek: :)

I'm not sure what order they send them out in, but I was in very early (December 31st!) plus they have thousands to send so I'm sure it'll take time to get them all out!

Damned New Years resolutions eh.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Still haven't shaken this flu/virus thingy fully - only 1 run now since Galway Half (28th Sept) :eek::mad::eek::mad:

Might have to consider pulling out altogether at this stage - will try a light jog this evening and see how it goes.

Really disappointed tbh - put a big effort in to get into semi-reasonable shape this year and it's all gone t1ts up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Still haven't shaken this flu/virus thingy fully - only 1 run now since Galway Half (28th Sept) :eek::mad::eek::mad:

Might have to consider pulling out altogether at this stage - will try a light jog this evening and see how it goes.

Really disappointed tbh - put a big effort in to get into sem-reasonable shape this year and it's all gone t1ts up

Still two weeks. Run it if you've cleared the flu, just adjust your expectations. The closer we get to the date, the less I'm bothered about the finish time.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Still two weeks. Run it if you've cleared the flu, just adjust your expectations. The closer we get to the date, the less I'm bothered about the finish time.

Actually feel remarkably better since I posted that message earlier on....just wanted a bit of a whinge and moan in a forum where people understand ;)
    (Mrs. Cartman and everyone else in my social network are no so forgiving :))

Yeah...I've been constantly recalibrating my goals over the months. Went from wondering if I'd be able to make the start line to possible outside shot at a PB.

Still (even now) tempted to head out with the 3:30 pacing group and see what happens but would probably be better off maybe jogging around with the 3:45 group

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Still (even now) tempted to head out with the 3:30 pacing group and see what happens but would probably be better off maybe jogging around with the 3:45 group

It might help your decisionmaking to know that there is no 3.45 group :)
    Pacers are at 3.40 and 3.50

RayCun wrote: »
    It might help your decisionmaking to know that there is no 3.45 group :)
    Pacers are at 3.40 and 3.50

I'll aim to position myself midway between the 2 groups so :D

Will probably start with the 3:30 crowd and work my way back thru the groups like an eejit

• Advertisement

Will probably start with the 3:30 crowd and work my way back thru the groups like an eejit

That's the hard way to do it. Why not start between 3.40 and 3.50 and look forward to ambling past the 3.40 guys as they pant their way through Clonskeagh?

That's the hard way to do it. Why not start between 3.40 and 3.50 and look forward to ambling past the 3.40 guys as they pant their way through Clonskeagh?

Yeah..that's the obvious and sensible thing to do alright.

Anyway, hopefully I'm back to normal sometime soon. My 'A' goal at the minute is to make the start line (and the finish line) in reasonable health. Anything beyond that would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've never run with a pacer group before. Are they very busy? For water stops for example, is it tougher to get a bottle of water without having to queue up or stop. I'm hoping to be around the 3:30 or 3:40 group.

Also, is it a standard pace all the way round or are there pacers who will either try to bank some time or go for negative splits?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I've never run with a pacer group before. Are they very busy? For water stops for example, is it tougher to get a bottle of water without having to queue up or stop. I'm hoping to be around the 3:30 or 3:40 group.

Also, is it a standard pace all the way round or are there pacers who will either try to bank some time or go for negative splits?

Same pace all the way around, maybe a few seconds slower or faster on the hills but nothing you'd notice.

The 3.30 and 4.00 groups I ran with were pretty big. Getting water wasn't a problem, but it could feel crowded on some of the narrower/earlier sections. Remember that you don't have to be right beside the pacers to use them, you can be 10m back and keep an eye on their flags, move up closer when the pack thins out.

Same pace all the way around, maybe a few seconds slower or faster on the hills but nothing you'd notice.

The 3.30 and 4.00 groups I ran with were pretty big. Getting water wasn't a problem, but it could feel crowded on some of the narrower/earlier sections. Remember that you don't have to be right beside the pacers to use them, you can be 10m back and keep an eye on their flags, move up closer when the pack thins out.

(Me again - hogging the thread today)

Only have limited experiece with pacing groups tbh - but seems like most people aim to have the baloon bouncing off their head to keep in touch :) Also found that some people switch off completely so extra concentration needed to avoid trips/bumps/jostling/schmozzles.

Deffo good advice to hang back from the group/herd and give yourself a bit of space

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Really disappointed tbh - put a big effort in to get into semi-reasonable shape this year and it's all gone t1ts up

I was in a similar position last year, got a chest infection the day after the Charleville half on Sept 23rd and had to rest for nearly 3 weeks, I got in a few runs in the last 2 weeks, the longest of which was 10 miles the weekend before. I was concerned because my last 20 miler was on Sept 16th. However I broke by PB by 17 minutes on the day.

I'm much the same this year. I got a cold the day after my last 20 miler (35k actually) on Sept 8th. Took a week off, got 2 more decent weeks in (a 16 mile in each) and came down with a sinus infection. Took another week off, felt ok then ran for 5 days, including an 11 mile last Wednesday. However I had to accept that I wasn't 100% and had to take a few more days off. If need be I'll do nothing until race day. The main thing is getting there in good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Remember that you don't have to be right beside the pacers to use them, you can be 10m back and keep an eye on their flags, move up closer when the pack thins out.
    10?! Unless you want to strike up a conversation, 100m is close enough

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

vinny1313 wrote: »
    I was in a similar position last year, got a chest infection the day after the Charleville half on Sept 23rd and had to rest for nearly 3 weeks, I got in a few runs in the last 2 weeks, the longest of which was 10 miles the weekend before. I was concerned because my last 20 miler was on Sept 16th. However I broke by PB by 17 minutes on the day.

I'm much the same this year. I got a cold the day after my last 20 miler (35k actually) on Sept 8th. Took a week off, got 2 more decent weeks in (a 16 mile in each) and came down with a sinus infection. Took another week off, felt ok then ran for 5 days, including an 11 mile last Wednesday. However I had to accept that I wasn't 100% and had to take a few more days off. If need be I'll do nothing until race day. The main thing is getting there in good health.

Cheers Vinny - that's given me some encouragement anyway. Would be more than happy to get within 17 mins (plus or minus) of my PB.

Taking a glass half full approach....at least being sick has prevented me from overtraining and getting injured and spunking a load of money on physio :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

No head-bouncing balloons either.... Pacers will have flags attached to backpacks....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

digger2d2 wrote: »
    No head-bouncing balloons either.... Pacers will have flags attached to backpacks....

...that's it. I'm out.

Advertisement