Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Can anyone recommend a hotel? Will be probably taking the train on Sunday morning and going home either Monday or Tuesday evening.

Was looking at Jurys which is a 1 KM walk away. It's my first marathon so not sure how the legs will be at that stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a hotel? Will be probably taking the train on Sunday morning and going home either Monday or Tuesday evening.

Was looking at Jurys which is a 1 KM walk away. It's my first marathon so not sure how the legs will be at that stage!

Mespil, Alexander, Davenport all v close to start/finish...

Also a little further but still walkable... The Schoolhouse, Jurys, The Lansdowne, Herbert Park ...

Then, a taxi ride on sore legs to Bewleys Ballsbridge, Four Seasons or back toward the city centre The Westin, Jurys Christchurch or there are a few just over the Liffey on DNS such as Jurys Inn, Clarion IFSC, Gibson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I've never run with a pacer group before. Are they very busy? For water stops for example, is it tougher to get a bottle of water without having to queue up or stop. I'm hoping to be around the 3:30 or 3:40 group.

Also, is it a standard pace all the way round or are there pacers who will either try to bank some time or go for negative splits?

Yes they can be busy, but no it's usually not a problem. 2 years ago I felt the Crumlin road was very congested to the point of being dangerous, but they gave us much more of that road last year and the problem was solved.

Water stops are generally fine and runners in a pace groups are always happy to share drinks (potential hygienic issues get ignored once you're knackered and thirsty :D)

Pace is as even as possible. And the aim is get home up to half a minute early.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Speaking of water stops, the water that will be given out - will it be like the half marathon?
    Small bottles, or will it be cups. The bottles are handy to hold onto for a few miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Speaking of water stops, the water that will be given out - will it be like the half marathon?
    Small bottles, or will it be cups. The bottles are handy to hold onto for a few miles
    defo bottles

• Advertisement

Thanks Ososlo
    First Marathon and the thoughts of those cups I was starting to worry ha! Grab one and half of it spills.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks Ososlo
    First Marathon and the thoughts of those cups I was starting to worry ha! Grab one and half of it spills.

Thanks again.
    just in case you're not aware, there's also Lucozade Sport orange flavoured 500ml bottles handed out too. Pop up top. And Spar sports drink too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Ososlo wrote: »
    just in case you're not aware, there's also Lucozade Sport orange flavoured 500ml bottles handed out too. Pop up top. And Spar sports drink too.

If you think about drinking the spar drink you should try it first. It ain't the best, fizzy and reacts with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Lucozade Sport vs Spar sports drink. Tough choice there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ososlo wrote: »

Pretty sure they will have Lucozade sport instead of Spar drink this year.
    I doubt they would have both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

rom wrote: »
    If you think about drinking the spar drink you should try it first. It ain't the best, fizzy and reacts with people.

I could be remembering wrong but Im pretty sure the drinks given out along the course are all still and not fizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

tunguska wrote: »
    I could be remembering wrong but Im pretty sure the drinks given out along the course are all still and not fizzy.

they were flat alright - tasted as sharp as vinegar, but were definitely flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Mespil, Alexander, Davenport all v close to start/finish...

Also a little further but still walkable... The Schoolhouse, Jurys, The Lansdowne, Herbert Par

Then, a taxi ride on sore legs to Bewleys Ballsbridge, Four Seasons or back toward the city centre The Westin, Jurys Christchurch or there are a few just over the Liffey on DNS such as Jurys Inn, Clarion IFSC, Gibson

Hi sorry to jump in, is the Hampton near the start/finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

SamforMayo wrote: »

About a 10m walk. Maybe 15 mins allowing for the restrictions around the start area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

murphd77 wrote: »
    About a 10m walk. Maybe 15 mins allowing for the restrictions around the start area.

Thanks for that, it might be an hours walking depending on how the 26.2 miles go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

SamforMayo wrote: »
    I live behind the Hampton, bout 15-20mns to the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

...and so it begins...

276094.png
    (yes, I fully appreciate the pointlessness of this exercise, but it's tradition!).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anything..... anything..... ANYTHING but f**kin' WIND!!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

...and so it begins...

276094.png
    (yes, I fully appreciate the pointlessness of this exercise, but it's tradition!).

A man of your experience should know better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

...and so it begins...

Come back in 10 days. Long term forecast is only good for a giggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

PauloMN wrote: »
    Anything..... anything..... ANYTHING but f**kin' WIND!!!! :pac:

Yeah....wind sucks...errm...blows

Thinking of the weather on the day, I'm reading people saying to wear something disposable / something you can throw away on the day.
    If its a cold/windy morning do people wear something for a few km's and throw it to the side of the road or what?

pistol_75 wrote: »
    A man of your experience should know better :rolleyes:

It's tradition damnit, tradition! Weather watching is the only thing that keeps me sane, during the taper-worm craziness that is the last 12 days before the marathon.
    M.J.M.C wrote:
    Thinking of the weather on the day, I'm reading people saying to wear something disposable / something you can throw away on the day.
    If its a cold/windy morning do people wear something for a few km's and throw it to the side of the road or what?
    Yep. Black bin-liner for the start line and if really cold, a disposable top/gloves, that you discard when you warm up sufficiently. Don't take anything that you value and will need to carry for the entire race. Penneys and Heatons are good for cheap disposable layers, or find that old smelly top from your running wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Sounds OK if it stays at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

1 - wear old, disposable clothes over your race gear (and/or a bin bag), and throw them to the side of the road before the race starts
    2 - wear a hat and gloves that you can take off as you run

Don't start running in clothes that you can't easily take off as you run :)

RayCun wrote: »
    1 - wear old, disposable clothes over your race gear (and/or a bin bag), and throw them to the side of the road before the race starts
    2 - wear a hat and gloves that you can take off as you run

3 - When you get to the Mankini - stop taking clothes off.

Oh and:
    4- make sure you pin your race number to a layer that you plan to keep, not a layer that you plan to dispose of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just to let ye know, pennys has 2 pair of gloves for 1.50, hats for 2.00, fleece tops for 6.00 and warm tracksuit bottoms for 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RayCun wrote: »

I knew there would come a time when my Party Boy sweat pants would be of some use :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Come back in 10 days. Long term forecast is only good for a giggle.

We need to do a little experiment, I'm going to bookmark this page and see how far off/on the mark KC's weather forecast is. If we get a decent day we will high five him. If we get a wet day we have somebody to direct our fury at :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Just to let ye know, pennys has 2 pair of gloves for 1.50, hats for 2.00, fleece tops for 6.00 and warm tracksuit bottoms for 9.

Christ i'd be like Blackie Connors :D

Advertisement