Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Original Rossi

kit3 wrote: »
    At the risk of causing widespread panic, has everyone actually checked the link to their acceptance slip ? I just did and found that it doesn't work. Have sent an email - won't panic just yet ....

In other news, two out of three kids down with tummy bug that has been lingering for a few days, kiddie no 3 complaining of sore throat, ear aches etc (and two of them landed in the bed last night). Don't think they'll understand if I avoid them for the week but ......

It happened me last year, the kids had the vomiting bug a week before the race. I felt fine the Saturday at the expo, a little nervous as it was going to be my first marathon. Sunday afternoon came along and i felt a little funny but put it down to nerves then it hit me. BOOM!! I spent the whole Sunday night in the bathroom.... Even at three in the morning i was saying to myself i might be able to run it...There was no way, i was gutted. So my advise would be move out for a week.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

dechol wrote: »
    Yes it wasn't when I signed up. It was about a week before marathon and was on home page of DCM website.

Anyone got more info on the trackers? Can't find anything on the marathon site.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

PauloMN wrote: »
    Anyone got more info on the trackers? Can't find anything on the marathon site.

Do you mean: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87107034&postcount=491

I'm getting a lift in and out for the race. Any recommendations on where to park?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

brutes1 wrote: »
    What would be the best spots to watch the race for someone on foot /light jogging around , how much could i take in/how far out could i get - thinking of ballsbridge towards end ? and South circular midway ? , with the aim of seeing start , and finish area by time winners coming through. Non Dub here so any advice welcome ..!
    You could watch the start from Leeson Street, head up to South Circular Road/Dolphin's Barn (Mile 11.3), then out to Milltown (mile 19), before heading back the direct route to the finish. Total distance: 10kms. Map.

You could also sign-up to the Dublin bikes scheme, and cycle between various points (not on the course) which would allow you to get further afield, like into Phoenix Park, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

TRR wrote: »
    move out!

Two chances ! The OH is starting to complain now and that probably means the dreaded manflu at the very least :eek: immune system generally withstands most of these bugs but it certainly does nothing for the nerves !

It happened me last year, the kids had the vomiting bug a week before the race. I felt fine the Saturday at the expo, a little nervous as it was going to be my first marathon. Sunday afternoon came along and i felt a little funny but put it down to nerves then it hit me. BOOM!! I spent the whole Sunday night in the bathroom.... Even at three in the morning i was saying to myself i might be able to run it...There was no way, i was gutted. So my advise would be move out for a week.....

That was really bad luck - you must have been gutted. Hope you got to do another marathon soon after to put the training to good use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Two chances ! The OH is starting to comain now and that probably means the dreaded manflu at the very least :eek: immune system generally withstands most of these bugs but it certainly does nothing for the nerves !

Www.divorcelaywers4u.ie

You know it's the right thing to do

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

M.J.M.C wrote: »

Thanks, I'm set-up on that one, but someone else mentioned another one from last year that was €6, came active about a week before DCM 2012 - seemed to give a lot more granularity than the other one (which only tracks on 10k, 13m and 20m as far as I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

have man-flu at the moment, everyone else in the house has been through it already, the way i see it its better to have it now than later in the week ! hopefully it buggers off quick enough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

At the risk of causing widespread panic, has everyone actually checked the link to their acceptance slip ? I just did and found that it doesn't work. Have sent an email - won't panic just yet ....

In other news, two out of three kids down with tummy bug that has been lingering for a few days, kiddie no 3 complaining of sore throat, ear aches etc (and two of them landed in the bed last night). Don't think they'll understand if I avoid them for the week but ......

Hi, 2 out of 3 kids sick here too with high temp, headache etc and a renewed fondness for my bed! Im praying its short lived!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Hi, 2 out of 3 skids sick here too with high temp, headache etc and a renewed fondness for my bed! Im praying its short lived!

It's a minefield alright ! Sitting on the bed holding a hand as I browse and trying not to breathe too much ! Hope you get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Latest update from MT, the boards weather guru:

NEXT WEEKEND OUTLOOK ... Rain should begin to ease Saturday morning and there could be some brighter spells by afternoon with highs 12-14 C, fresh westerly breezes developing, then Sunday will be a partly to mostly cloudy day with a few showers in fresh backing southwesterly winds, highs 12-14 C. Monday (28th) could see stronger winds (GFS and ECM models have very strong winds, with gusts over 100 km/hr possible so we'll be keeping a close eye on how this develops closer to the time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Jaysus. MT knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Yikes! I don't mind if it's cold or wet but please don't let it be windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Gavlor wrote: »
    Latest update from MT, the boards weather guru:

NEXT WEEKEND OUTLOOK ... Rain should begin to ease Saturday morning and there could be some brighter spells by afternoon with highs 12-14 C, fresh westerly breezes developing, then Sunday will be a partly to mostly cloudy day with a few showers in fresh backing southwesterly winds, highs 12-14 C. Monday (28th) could see stronger winds (GFS and ECM models have very strong winds, with gusts over 100 km/hr possible so we'll be keeping a close eye on how this develops closer to the time)

Jazus... if that's the case for Monday then the pacers will earn there keep.

Still more tempted by yr.no's report:

277110.png

That would give is a gentle head-wind up Chesterfield Aveneue, but otherwise, we'd largely be unaffected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

In Yr.No we trust (for the moment anyway).

I keep thinking we are due a bad day in Dublin one of these years. Hopefully the really crappy stuff is getting out of the way this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

277110.png

That would give is a gentle head-wind up Chesterfield Aveneue, but otherwise, we'd largely be unaffected.

Are you going to do this every morning, in the full knowledge that the forecast changes every day? :rolleyes:

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I keep thinking we are due a bad day in Dublin one of these years.

There was atrocious weather in 2005 ... yeah, I see what you mean by we're due another bad day :D

• Advertisement

Are you going to do this every morning, in the full knowledge that the forecast changes every day? :rolleyes:
    Yes, ya grumpy boll1x!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm not even going to think about the weather - Que sera, sera etc!

Just wondering, though, from other years, do people know what major routes will be closed. Since we Northsiders have been basically coralled into our own side of the city with no Darts etc, I'm trying to help my family plan where to go and watch. My sister and my baby nephew (who has a special green Raheny-supporters jacket that he wants to get use out of!) and my mum were going to get the dart over from the Northside and watch me from outside Starbucks on Shelbourne Road. But that's out now! If they drove across the East Link, where would be the easiest place for them to get to? I'd love a bit of support after 20 miles ...

thanks!

Jazus... if that's the case for Monday then the pacers will earn there keep.

Woohoo! It's going to be great fun when those wings start lifting us into the air :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

If they're driving over the East Link, the best bet is still probably Starbucks. From East Link, turn right at the roundabout, drive up Sean Moore road, then a right, followed by a quick left and up towards Bath Avenue. Starbucks is about a 10-minute walk from there. Usually plenty of parking on Bath Ave but may be different for the marathon.

Else find parking anywhere on Sandymount road, it's still around a 15 min walk to Starbucks.

Just watching a video from last years DCM and there's pacers for 3:45

I thought the pacers were every 10minutes around that time no? 3:40 / 3:50 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Just watching a video from last years DCM and there's pacers for 3:45

I thought the pacers were every 10minutes around that time no? 3:40 / 3:50 etc

Every 10 mins this year. Last year they were every 15.

blockic wrote: »
    Every 10 mins this year. Last year they were every 15.

Ahhh ok cool, thanks for clearing that up for me

277110.png

The latest from yr.no shows an increase in the wind - 9 m/s from 6.00 - 12.00 and 6 m/s from 12.00-6.00.

Plenty of time to change yet though. Apologies - not tech-savvy enough to put the chart up here but someone else might be able to !

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Time to start sacrificing small furry creatures and doing rain-dances backwards. Get to it people!

• Advertisement

cianc wrote: »
    Time to start sacrificing small furry creatures and doing rain-dances backwards. Get to it people!

Bound to pull something with the backwards rain dancing - no need to worry about the wind then :eek:

Advertisement