Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Give me a shout when you are in the RDS. To be honest, it'll probably be a two horse race.

Jaysus talk about secrets!

McCarthy?

What abouts the mens race? Indo article talked up Sweeney? What about Hehir?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Jaysus talk about secrets!

McCarthy?

What abouts the mens race? Indo article talked up Sweeney? What about Hehir?

At least someone has done their homework :)
    Sweeney and Hehir will be a good race. However, there could also be a non Irish winner from Moldova. Thomas Frazer is also running and could go well, depending on his recovery from Berlin. Clonliffe Harriers have a strong team with that Moldovan chap, plus Gary O'Hanlon and Micheal MacDiarmada.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

@ hard worker..... How did overall numbers finish up? Increase on last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Gavlor wrote: »
    @ hard worker..... How did overall numbers finish up? Increase on last year?

I read somewhere there was a record entry of around 14,500 people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

tunguska wrote: »
    Yeah absolutely I'll be down there saturday afternoon.

He wants you in drag monday

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

yr.no predicting heavy rain (fine), but 10 m/s wind (not fine).
    Some practical advise on drafting working together in groups: http://www.runningwritings.com/2012/07/brief-thoughts-front-running-is-one.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

He wants you in drag monday

Dunno about drag but I do have a Droog costume I've been wanting to try out.

http://web.njit.edu/~ml7/clockworkorange/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

XC weather is not looking too bad. Fingers crossed.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

With the rain in mind, does anyone know somehwere in Dublin that I could pick up a cheap visor? Something that I could throw away if unneeded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

RubyK wrote: »
    XC weather is not looking too bad. Fingers crossed.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Dublin

I like this one - is it usually reliable ? there's a big difference between this and yr.no and, unfortunately for us, yr.no is usually reliable. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

kit3 wrote: »
    I like this one - is it usually reliable ? there's a big difference between this and yr.no and, unfortunately for us, yr.no is usually reliable. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

The storm could still make turn for the worst, Sunday morning we should know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

kit3 wrote: »

Yep, find xcweather.co.uk pretty reliable. It better not let me down this time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Guys,

At how any points along the course will there be large timing counters? Half way I assume. Anywhere else? (my garmin is dodgy and may cut out halfway during the race)

statss wrote: »
    Guys,

At how any points along the course will there be large timing counters? Half way I assume. Anywhere else? (my garmin is dodgy and may cut out halfway during the race)

get a cheap stopwatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Guys,

10K & 20 Mile from what I remember. Both Gun time obviously so handy to note what is on the clock when you pass the start as well. Hopefully your garmin will be fine.

Silly question maybe ladies & gents but just so I know will there be toilets along the course I presume yeah? Where would they generally be stationed if so just so I know if an emergency arises... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Silly question maybe ladies & gents but just so I know will there be toilets along the course I presume yeah? Where would they generally be stationed if so just so I know if an emergency arises... :o

Yep , at water stations

right after the water stations

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Anyone know whether the expo opens tomorow at 10 or 12 ? The dublin marathon website says 12 and the dublin expo site says 10.

Thanks !

• Advertisement

Cheers, first timer here so just so I know :)

I've been avoiding the gels as when I done one of my LSRs I got a fierce pain in my stomach 5km off my my target so won't be taking them. I'm hoping a bit of fruit will get me through the whole thing. Anyone in a similar position have anything else to recommend?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Salty Dog wrote: »
    Anyone know whether the expo opens tomorow at 10 or 12 ? The dublin marathon website says 12 and the dublin expo site says 10.

Thanks !

Expo opens at 10, you can start picking up your number from 12

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Cheers, first timer here so just so I know :)

I've been avoiding the gels as when I done one of my LSRs I got a fierce pain in my stomach 5km off my my target so won't be taking them. I'm hoping a bit of fruit will get me through the whole thing. Anyone in a similar position have anything else to recommend?
    I recommend you dont try anything you havent already tested. :) If fruit is what you have been using, keep doing that. Youll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Thanks a mill !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Guys,

10km point in the Park, halfway at Walkinstown and the 20 mile mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Why can't you pick up your number until 12? Had hoped to be there and back at that stage for son's hurling match

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Willie42 wrote: »
    Why can't you pick up your number until 12? Had hoped to be there and back at that stage for son's hurling match

It's 12 -6 both days for collecting numbers on the acceptance slip. Not sure the reason.

Expo hours are 10-6 Saturday and 11-6 Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    10km point in the Park, halfway at Walkinstown and the 20 mile mark.

They had clocks on the UCD flyover as well last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RubyK wrote: »
    Yep, find xcweather.co.uk pretty reliable. It better not let me down this time :D

Think xcweather is computer generated, so it doesn't take into account of certain situations. But by sunday it will know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Willie42 wrote: »
    Probably because there's only so many hours they can reasonably get the volunteers to man the various collection stations at the expo. Can you not go the other day?

Advertisement