Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    4 months of training jeopardised by 6 hours of beering??

Sounds reasonable to me!!

A few beers tonight will do no harm at all. I think you are overestimating the effects of a few beers. Hardly going to jeopardise 4 months training :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    A few beers tonight will do no harm at all. I think you are overestimating the effects of a few beers. Hardly going to jeopardise 4 months training :rolleyes:

I underestimate the effects of a few beers! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    I underestimate the effects of a few beers! :pac:

The key phrase here is 'a few'. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The first Dublin marathon in 1980. Back when men were men. They didn't care for ponchos, sure the winner ran in his boxers.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/1025/482668-1st-dublin-marathon-in-1980/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

If sharing vaseline no double dipping

A pothole in Ireland. Never

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Gavlor wrote: »
    4 months of training jeopardised by 6 hours of beering??

Sounds reasonable to me!!

Don't do the beers, not worth the risk.
    I had to run London this year with a cracked rib after stupidly agreeing to go on a stag weekend the week before, and so have turned down the chance to ride a bike round a velodrome the week before London next year for fear of falling off...or worse still, getting a fetish for lycra.

Be nice to yourself over the days before the marathon and don't do anything silly, be that training, eating too much cake, or doing daft activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It was a bit tongue in cheek.... but how come nobody ever says that when I mention booze?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

The key phrase here is 'a few'. ;)

2 or 3...absolutely fine but that means 2 or 3- any more and just not worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

drquirky wrote: »
    2 or 3...absolutely fine but that means 2 or 3- any more and just not worth it...

Sure Krusty generally goes on an afternoon drinking session the day before a marathon and it does him no harm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    Sure Krusty generally goes on an afternoon drinking session the day before a marathon and it does him no harm :)
    Haha! I'm quite the opposite you cheeky beggar! Not a drop has passed my lips for the last three weeks, and over the last five weeks, I've broken my self-induced misery twice, for two unavoidable social occasions, for which I gave myself a pre-planned green card! But yes, I will likely have a beer on Sunday evening, to chill and relax. If it's good enough for Eamonn Coghlan, it's good enough for me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Haha! I'm quite the opposite you cheeky beggar! Not a drop has passed my lips for the last three weeks, and over the last five weeks, I've broken my self-induced misery twice, for two unavoidable social occasions, for which I gave myself a pre-planned green card! But yes, I will likely have a beer on Sunday evening, to chill and relax. If it's good enough for Eamonn Coghlan, it's good enough for me. :)

I ran the Waterside Half Marathon in Derry with a raging hangover! Hit my target time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

robinph wrote: »
    Don't do the beers, not worth the risk.
    I had to run London this year with a cracked rib after stupidly agreeing to go on a stag weekend the week before, and so have turned down the chance to ride a bike round a velodrome the week before London next year for fear of falling off...or worse still, getting a fetish for lycra.

Be nice to yourself over the days before the marathon and don't do anything silly, be that training, eating too much cake, or doing daft activities.

Did the stag last year the weekend before DCM and luckily did me no harm.

I'll head out late and come home early before the real drinking starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Who are the main Irish male competitors? Hehir, Sweeney? Who else will be up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Shedite27 wrote: »
    With the rain in mind, does anyone know somehwere in Dublin that I could pick up a cheap visor? Something that I could throw away if unneeded?

I have a helmet you can borrow

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Ponchos? Bin liners are your only man for hanging around at the start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Who are the main Irish male competitors? Hehir, Sweeney? Who else will be up there?

Sergio, tom frazer, eddie mcginley also evans the welsh champion

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Heading to the expo on Sunday afternoon to pick up number.
    Where's a good place to park the car?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mr.wiggle wrote: »

Thanks.
    Head to the back roads behind the RDS (around by the embassies) and walk the 10 minutes to the Expo. Parking anywhere near the front of the RDS will be chaotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Starting to look a bit better!

MONDAY ... Strong winds will probably abate for a time during the early morning hours except near the south coast possibly, but then will redevelop from the west to northwest by morning across most regions with gusts to perhaps 70-90 km/hr. Except for some rain across the south coast early morning, skies could clear briefly in the morning, then further showers are likely in the windy conditions later. Morning lows 6-8 C except 10-12 C southeast, and afternoon highs 9-12 C but feeling quite cold in strong winds. Risk of hail showers in west and north by afternoon, longer dry spells and sunny intervals in south and east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

mr.wiggle wrote: »

Thanks.

loads of free parking on the road through herbert park of a Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

statss wrote: »
    loads of free parking on the road through herbert park of a Sunday.

Might be hard pressed to get parking there today. Completely full at 11am today. Very heavy traffic around RDS at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Ok I'll be first to mention what everyone is dreading , the possibility of this event being cancelled for safety reasons if its too wet and windy on Monday , don't think the medical services will be able to cope with potentially hundreds of hyopthermic runners , what do people think are the chances ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh traffic was very bad about 12 o clock. Imagine its a lot worse now with the bad weather. I dumped my car about a km away n walked up. Great atmosphere at the expo and well organised. Really looking forward to the race now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oops69 wrote: »
    Ok I'll be first to mention what everyone is dreading , the possibility of this event being cancelled for safety reasons if its too wet and windy on Monday , don't think the medical services will be able to cope with potentially hundreds of hyopthermic runners , what do people think are the chances ?

Zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Oops69 wrote: »

Won't happen, it's a bit of wind and rain, not the apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

It's going to be windy and wet yes but nothing close to the extent that would lead to a cancellation. As it's my first marathon and time isn't a primary factor for me, I'm strangely excited about battling the elements.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is there paid parking at the RDS like other years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Does anyone know can the acceptance slip be accepted/scanned on smartphone, as opposed to on paper at the expo?

Yes I done this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Just picked up numbers for me and friend. Forgot to change our bibs from green to orange (me) and blue (friend).
    Are we stuck in the green area now?

Advertisement