Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

jonnner wrote: »
    Just picked up numbers for me and friend. Forgot to change our bibs from green to orange (me) and blue (friend).
    Are we stuck in the green area now?

I'd say that's a yes. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

eliwallach wrote: »
    I'd say that's a yes. :cool:

I just tried to switch from green to orange and got told off by the rudest woman ever at the expo help desk. Wouldn't even look at me when I asked and answered unless I could prove I was an elite there was no chance! Really couldn't see the need for such nastiness for what I thought was a reasonable question!

Traffic is still bedlam! Give yourself lots of time. All carparks full.

Yep, you can show your smartphone to collect number and there's nobody asking for ID or letters or any of that!

Great buzz there (dampened a bit by the horrible lady) and great to have it done! No going back now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

I usually park on lansdowne lane if heading to the rds. Its a small street of shelbourne road, handy if your coming from the northside direction and a few free spaces on it.

Managed to get one today easy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Was there a tester mat for your chip? My mate says there was but I was there about an hour after him and didn't see it! Seemingly it was at the top of the stairs before you collect your bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I've been looking at the weather models and would say there's a reasonable chance it'll be just about ok.
    Heavy rain early Monday morning but dying out and possibly even dry by the start, though a better chance of dry by 10 am.
    Wind force 5 or 6 which will be a bit breezy in the open spaces but barely noticeable in a built up area in a big group of runners.
    And it'll be behind us half the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

snailsong wrote: »
    I've been looking at the weather models and would say there's a reasonable chance it'll be just about ok.
    Heavy rain early Monday morning but dying out and possibly even dry by the start, though a better chance of dry by 10 am.
    Wind force 5 or 6 which will be a bit breezy in the open spaces but barely noticeable in a built up area in a big group of runners.
    And it'll be behind us half the way!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

kkcatlou wrote: »
    I just tried to switch from green to orange and got told off by the rudest woman ever at the expo help desk. Wouldn't even look at me when I asked and answered unless I could prove I was an elite there was no chance! Really couldn't see the need for such nastiness for what I thought was a reasonable question!

Yep, you can show your smartphone to collect number and there's nobody asking for ID or letters or any of that!

Great buzz there (dampened a bit by the horrible lady) and great to have it done! No going back now...

One of the runners in my club must have met that person only.

Managed to get one for first wave after talking to one man who didn't it no problem

Trampas wrote: »
    One of the runners in my club must have met that person only.

Managed to get one for first wave after talking to one man who didn't it no problem

Ah FFS, just my luck. <snip> the same "lady" I was praising for finally sending me on my acceptance slip! What did you say to manage to switch? Or do you just look like an elite?

Anyone think there's any chance of switching on Monday morning? Not too bothered myself but it'll make things a lot easier for people who are supporting both me and my boyfriend and hope to see us on the course and at the finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ah FFS, just my luck. Looked her up in the book and her name is XXXX...the same "lady" I was praising for finally sending me on my acceptance slip! What did you say to manage to switch? Or do you just look like an elite?

Anyone think there's any chance of switching on Monday morning? Not too bothered myself but it'll make things a lot easier for people who are supporting both me and my boyfriend and hope to see us on the course and at the finish!

Care to give your own name publicly, since you are naming and shaming unpaid volunteers? If the fault was yours for signing up to the wrong wave, its bang out of order to publicly name volunteers as you have, just because they won't accommodate your wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Anyone know of cheap affordable or even free parking on the day of the race in Dublin City Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Maryk8

Have to agree. I know of this volunteer and she has given her time at many events over a long number of years. I worked at the Expo last year and it is a long and tiring weekend. They are all under pressure and do a great job.

Hoping the weather holds out for us on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

mick kk wrote: »
    Anyone know of cheap affordable or even free parking on the day of the race in Dublin City Centre?

onstreet parking is free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Ah FFS, just my luck. <snip>

Not really a very good reason to switch corrals. Unless you are going to run under the time suggested for the wave you shouldn't be in it. What kind of time are you targeting to be in the first wave?

Oops69 wrote: »
    Ok I'll be first to mention what everyone is dreading , t

Nobody is actually dreading this. Zero chance of it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Care to give your own name publicly, since you are naming and shaming unpaid volunteers? If the fault was yours for signing up to the wrong wave, its bang out of order to publicly name volunteers as you have, just because they won't accommodate your wishes.

Volunteer or not. Still no reason to be rude.
    If your going to be rude and unhelpful dont volunteer as will give a bad impression to visitors.

Volunteer or not. Still no reason to be rude.
    If your going to be rude and unhelpful dont volunteer as will give a bad impression to visitors.

I would imagine it gets quite tiring listening to silly questions and ridiculous requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

drquirky wrote: »
    I would imagine it gets quite tiring listening to silly questions and ridiculous requests.

+1 I know that lady and she is one of the main reasons the marathon even happens, an she is not paid a penny. It's pretty normal that someone quizzes you on why you are moving up a band. Like if you sign up for 4:30 and all of a sudden decide to run 3hrs, someone is going to raise a few eyebrows. KKcatlou what did you tell the lady you plan on running?

Just picked up numbers for me and friend. Forgot to change our bibs from green to orange (me) and blue (friend).
    Are we stuck in the green area now?

There will be no problem for your friend to move back to blue on the day but they won't let you move up to Orange without a sticker. What time are you planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

menoscemo wrote: »
    There will be no problem for your friend to move back to blue on the day but they won't let you move up to Orange without a sticker. What time are you planning?

That's good that friend can move back.
    I was planning somewhere between 3:35 and 3:45 depending on how I feel. Even if I could get to front of green wave for the start it won't be much of an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

There was some lovely official merchandise at the expo today,will there be an opportunity to buy some on Monday or is there a website where it can be bought?
    Only had enough on me today for some bodyglide and a couple of gels.:(

• Advertisement

That's good that friend can move back.
    I was planning somewhere between 3:35 and 3:45 depending on how I feel. Even if I could get to front of green wave for the start it won't be much of an inconvenience.

Nope; in fact the sub 3:50 pacers will be at the front of Green. You should run the first few miles with them and then push on...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DonKing

Do the 4:10 pacers intend to position themselves towards the back of the green(2nd) wave?

Thanks

DonKing wrote: »
    Do the 4:10 pacers intend to position themselves towards the back of the green(2nd) wave?

Thanks

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

drquirky wrote: »
    Nobody is actually dreading this. Zero chance of it happening.
    That's great ....sorry for asking , forgot you were on taper, bad timing , peak madness right about now !

Oops69 wrote: »
    That's great ....sorry for asking , forgot you were on taper, bad timing , peak madness right about now !

Na taper finished, my marathon was a couple of weeks ago- just kinda think your post was trolling.

+1 I know that lady and she is one of the main reasons the marathon even happens, an she is not paid a penny. It's pretty normal that someone quizzes you on why you are moving up a band. Like if you sign up for 4:30 and all of a sudden decide to run 3hrs, someone is going to raise a few eyebrows. KKcatlou what did you tell the lady you plan on running?

Sorry, I shouldn't have said her name. Please remove it for me if you can mod.

I was just a bit fuming at the way I was spoken to. I had no chance to even discuss with her my hoped finishing time or anything like that. I just walked away feeling like a child!

I'm hoping to finish between 3.45 and 3.50 so yeah as I said starting in wave 2 isn't a big deal to me and I would have been happy with a reasonable explanation, not being snapped at.

Just because you give your time for free doesn't give you the right to be rude!

Anyway, I got over it pretty quickly, and like everybody else am looking forward to a great race (come hail, wind & rain) Monday! :-)

Sorry, I shouldn't have said her name. Please remove it for me if you can mod.

I was just a bit fuming at the way I was spoken to. I had no chance to even discuss with her my hoped finishing time or anything like that. I just walked away feeling like a child!

I'm hoping to finish between 3.45 and 3.50 so yeah as I said starting in wave 2 isn't a big deal to me and I would have been happy with a reasonable explanation, not being snapped at.

Just because you give your time for free doesn't give you the right to be rude!

Anyway, I got over it pretty quickly, and like everybody else am looking forward to a great race (come hail, wind & rain) Monday! :-)

You are almost certainly better off in wave 2 then anyway since 3:50 pacers will be at the front if wave 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Still not an excuse to be rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck everybody.

Enjoy the hourly butterflies in the stomach tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

sorry if it's been asked before but is bag-drop secure (for money/phone etc) and is there somewhere sheltered to change into clothes after bag pick up or do we change out in the rain? thanks.

Advertisement