Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

congrats to Maria, delighted for her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Gavlor wrote: »
    Disaster, cruising to a 2.58 only for my hamstring to explode on mile 23. Pulled up and thought my day was done only by some miracle got going again to put everything into for avg 6.28 pace last 3 miles. Tracker time says 3.00.04 so it looks like I missed out again

I can't believe it. Such rotten luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Disaster, cruising to a 2.58 only for my hamstring to explode on mile 23. Pulled up and thought my day was done only by some miracle got going again to put everything into for avg 6.28 pace last 3 miles. Tracker time says 3.00.04 so it looks like I missed out again

Don't know what to say to you mate. Sickened for you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Hard luck Gavlor. At least you can try again. I heard a story of someone who was on for a sub 3 in Belfast only the route to be changed for a bomb scare during the race and they had to run an extra mile. They missed a sub 3 and would have got it on the original route. They never did get that sub 3. You have a chance to go out and get it next time and it will feel great when you do get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Gav I'm absolutely gutted for you after all your hard work. Been waiting for an update all morning. I'm sure you're disappointed, but it's still a super time and injury is just one of those things you can't plan for. Enjoy your PB and have a celebratory pint for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thanks guys, at this stage I'm looking on it as a positive that I didn't DNF. My leg is in bits now but I'm glad I gave it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Belcarra on for 3:56 still. That'll be two sub 4hr marathons in 25 hours on two continents if he can keep pace.

4:00:34, I'd say he was working hard to keep it under the 4 but still fantastic result. Forgot to say that he raced a marathon PB two weeks ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Thanks guys, at this stage I'm looking on it as a positive that I didn't DNF. My leg is in bits now but I'm glad I gave it a shot

I pulled up around 15 with my ITB! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Tough day at the office for me. Finished at 4:28, could have easily packed it in at half way. Will probably do it again next year. Nice to meet the 3:40 pacers and the numerous boards.ie members throughout (Ruu). "Go on Boards, go Ruairi, keep it going, son. go 746". Love the people of Dublin! Thanks to all involved, great day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Congratulations to all participants. Proud of you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

Did anyone notice the undisclosed timing scanner in Terenure? Organisers obviously take lots of precautions to catch out anyone taking shortcuts. A terrible thing that this is necessary but apparently past experience suggests it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

how were conditions out there today folks? Was the wind bad? Well done to all runners.

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    I pulled up around 15 with my ITB! :(

****e :(

how were conditions out there today folks? Was the wind bad? Well done to all runners.

Near perfect conditions, bit blustery in a couple of parts but nothing major

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Quite happy with my day. Had a 3.39 PB previously and had hoped to knock a few seconds off that but had less than ideal preparations. Ended up sitting with the 3:30 group to the half, but struggled on the way home. Finished in 3.41 - no PB but a lovely experience all the same.

Weather was grand, few miles of wind (Crumlin mainly for me), but nothing too bad. Rain held off and it was very mild. Great support most of the way (Got eerily quiet around UCD).

One flaw I thought the route was a bit crowded. Maybe they should try even more pace groups next year? One spot around Inchicore it stopped to a walk. Crossing the finish line too there were hefty queues to hand out the medals. All I wanted was a bit of space for a stretch. Also, were the water stations where they should have been? There seemed to be a few where I didn't expect them and missing where I was expecting them.

Fairly minor things really, very enjoyable day.

Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

After all the doubts about the weather, it turned out to be near perfect conditions. There was a small bit of wind around mile 23 but we had it on our backs earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Brilliant day today, I owe 3hr pacer #3 a pint :D.. not too much talk around the 3hr group I was in, and I split off with about 3k to go. Didn't even need the ipod I'd shoved in my shorts, support on the course was incredible. Fair play to all the volunteers too, there's a *lot* of them involved to make that day happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Saviola

First marathon done with a time of 4.24, I was on for sub 4 but ended up with what feels like sciatica at around mile 17 and limped the rest of them home. Absolutely fantastic experience though and im so glad I did it, every single person I talked to was great craic and the support was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

This post is meant in a jovial manner...
    But that BA**ARD house at around the 9 mile mark that was having a bbq. They knew what they were doing hahaha
    Their burgers smelt so good I was nearly banging on their door.

Great day. I owe my good day to the 3:50 pacers. Knights!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    This post is meant in a jovial manner...
    But that BA**ARD house at around the 9 mile mark that was having a bbq. They knew what they were doing hahaha
    Their burgers smelt so good I was nearly banging on their door.

Great day. I owe my good day to the 3:50 pacers. Knights!!

i spotted that all right talked about been teases.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Chivito550 wrote: »
    How's the wolf fella getting on?

Wasn't to be today for him, I'm sure he'll be on to report

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87230998&postcount=269

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Found that incredibly tough today. My third DCM and knew from about mile 3 that I wasn't feeling anyway comfortable. Started with the 4.20 pacers (did 4.29 last year). Was caught by the 4.30's at halfway. Encouragment from Ultraman to stay with them but had absolutely nothing in the legs. Caught by the 4.40's at the end of Merrion road and couldn't stay with them either. Finished 4.42.25. Don't know what went wrong to be honest. Training and preparation were fine. Just felt sh1te the whole way - actually wanted it to be over from mile 8 whereas I thoroughly enjoyed the last two years. Felt quesy after the first two gels but that settled, had a loo stop which I didn't have the last two years and had to stop for a minute at 17 because I was dizzy. All in all a complete struggle :( Seriously wondered if I could finish a few times and, until I crossed the finish line I was definately not doing this again. Now I'm just putting it down to 'one of thoses days'. Thankfully I haven't had too many of them !

Sorry for the rambling moany post. Great to read about so many great successes. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done for grinding out the finish Kit3. You do the training and hope for the best but sometimes it's just not your day. Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I like this years medal,it's a change from the last 5 that were becoming a bit familiar,shirt is decent but not mad about the "i ran like the wind" statement on the back,more like i ran into the wind when you hobble home in 4'31:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Well done for grinding out the finish Kit3. You do the training and hope for the best but sometimes it's just not your day. Never mind.

Thanks Dilbert75. Really happy I finished and philosophical about it at this stage.

First marathon done in 4:18, really enjoyed the day. Great atmosphere throughout so much support. I must have ate more fruit today then the rest of my life :o . You really find out who you are at the 20 mile mark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

3.55 for me. Happy with that.

I'm was coming in from an Ironman seven weeks ago and wanted to enjoy it doing 9 min miles. Hard not to do that with the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

4.22 today from a 1.57 half.

Tough second half- calves cramped up badly. Crowd was fantastic today though. Support makes a big difference when you're struggling.

First marathon under the belt. Will train properly if I ever try this again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

4:19:06 for me in my first marathon. Delighted! 4:20 pacers were brilliant throughout and I just kept the flags in my sights all the way around. Thought I was gonna get dropped coming up the hill to the treasury building but dug deep and found a second wind from somewhere and clung on. Crowd were amazing and I really enjoyed the day. Bit sore now though!

Advertisement