Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

1,300 photos and growing from yesterday

http://www.racepix.com/Dublin-Marathon-2013/pictures/1024/

Photos are from a variety of photographers that are on Facebook, Flickr, etc. RacePix just groups them all together to save on searching. If anyone wants to contribute their photos to the collection they are more than welcome. Hopefully it'll make it easier for those hunting for photos to find themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

what a day, pacers, stewards, kind folks at the water stations, security staff , admin staff...all top class....and of course what a crowd! I don't think I've ever seen as many people around Dolphin's Barn, the noise was incredible at times and made me very proud to be an Irishman\Dub.

The weather did its part and I managed a near 20 minute PB so as Lou Reed sang...such a perfect day .

( we really are so luck to have this thing on our doorstep folks - get out and run it next year if you didn't this year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

1,300 photos and growing from yesterday

http://www.racepix.com/Dublin-Marathon-2013/pictures/1024/

Photos are from a variety of photographers that are on Facebook, Flickr, etc. RacePix just groups them all together to save on searching. If anyone wants to contribute their photos to the collection they are more than welcome. Hopefully it'll make it easier for those hunting for photos to find themselves...

Thank for that link. I've added my photos to it.
    Stunned that on flickr the photos have been viewed over 28.000 times since yesterday !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Racman wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the undisclosed timing scanner in Terenure? Organisers obviously take lots of precautions to catch out anyone taking shortcuts. A terrible thing that this is necessary but apparently past experience suggests it is

I was at the very first corner at the start line, right beside the tall gantry & by the end of the barriers. About 3/4 way through the first wave a fella jumped off the course as soon as he hit the end of the barriers (all of 70m into the race?), ran around the barrier, quickly put on a jacket and ran off in the opposite direction to the race route.

The only reason he caught my eye is that he tried to run around the barrier so quickly, he slipped and nearly landed on his arse. The whole thing was a bit suspect to me, he had his jacket on in seconds so I couldn't get his number. I have an idea of what he looked like though & what he was wearing, if I get a chance I'm going to look through the photos & videos to see if I can spot him later in the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

3:48 for me yesterday, a bit slower than last year, but better than the two I've done since. Lost a few minutes thanks to a nasty cramp in my quad around 22 miles, but got going well again until the last half mile or so, which was a real struggle. A big thanks to the organisers and the supporters, who were fabulous again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 foralongtime

RoryW wrote: »
    Thank for that link. I've added my photos to it.
    Stunned that on flickr the photos have been viewed over 28.000 times since yesterday !

Rory, thanks for taking so many pics yesterday.

Having just looked through all 39 pages, a tip for anyone looking for themselves in then RacePix photos; nearly all the photos are of orange bib'd competitors. Anyone sporting blue or green yesterday would be quicker looking directly at Rory's photostream on Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorywilliams/with/10539119705/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mstester

Hi All,

Sorry if this is not the correct place to stick this comment.

I have two Large unopened finisher t-shirts. Looking to swap them for a Medium and a Small.

If anyone wants to swap please PM me.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nice to see two Irish winners yesterday. Good time from Maria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

walshb wrote: »
    Nice to see two Irish winners yesterday. Good time from Maria.
    It wasn't a good time for Maria. She ran three minutes faster last year, though the conditions were better. She reportedly had stomach problems at 19 miles and had to stop, so she did very well to get her race restarted and take the win. Delighted for her. Great result for Macarthy too, who should be in a position to challenge in future. Poor turnout from the women in the 2:35 - 2:45 category, with several noticable names missing. Cracking result from Pauline Curley (as always), and Orna Dilworth, a recent addition to the elite roster, who will surely move up the ranks in future.

Do I sound like a proper pundit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It wasn't a good time for Maria. She ran three minutes faster last year, though the conditions were better. She reportedly had stomach problems at 19 miles and had to stop, so she did very well to get her race restarted and take the win. Delighted for her. Great result for Macarthy too, who should be in a position to challenge in future. Poor turnout from the women in the 2:35 - 2:45 category, with several noticable names missing. Cracking result from Pauline Curley (as always), and Orna Dilworth, a recent addition to the elite roster, who will surely move up the ranks in future.

Yes, I realized it was a bit below her PB but I guess she's getting on now and probably sliding, added to the weather conditions and the toilet break.

Edit: You always sound like a proper pundit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Yeah Irish Times said she had a bathroom stop at mile 18. McCarthy then passed her.
    Great race to watch.

The master men winning times are impressive.

Master men 70 with a time of 3.22.50, Master men 50 with 2.35

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I saw two places were there were signs that said something about an Elite food stop 200m away but I didn't see anything. Obviously I'm not an elite but I'm just wondering why would they get them at different locations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

This is claralara of boards.ie fame.... Any recent recruits to the art of marathon running could do a lot worse than spend some time reading her log. It is a great example of what can be achieved with lots of hard work, discipline and talent (which she wasn't aware of) - not to mention great coaching and management ;). She has gone from a 3:53 to a 2:57 in two years!!

fletch wrote: »
    I saw two places were there were signs that said something about an Elite food stop 200m away but I didn't see anything. Obviously I'm not an elite but I'm just wondering why would they get them at different locations?

The elites can leave their own specific pre-mixed drinks etc. at these points, you'll see this at most major marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

To those who don't know, the aforementioned claralara broke 4 hrs in 2011 where i ran besides her for the second half of the race. To say she was someone who didn't think she could broke 4 hrs is now laughable to think but her log is a great read for anyone who thinks they can't do something in any walk of life.

Edit: Digs beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Any recent recruits to the art of marathon running could do a lot worse than spend some time reading her log.

Agree, but whilst she excels in training, the focus on her log is pretty poor. Will be expecting some significant improvement in this regard over the next while.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not a runner yesterday due to ITB (GRRR!) but was out supporting on Clonskeagh Road. Hehir took the lead just at the point I was watching..

Great event and a random fairplay from me to the Council workers out cleaning the street last night. After the race yesterday there were thousands of bottles in the glass verg, in the gutters, along the footpath, under cars, everywhere really. This morning on the way into work on the bike, I didn't see one bottle. The place was spotless. Assume the rest of the 26.2 miles was similar. That's some clean up job in 12 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Just looking through the results and notice that a guy ran a 1:22 first half followed by a 1:16 second half, that's unreal running, I may be mistaken but I believe he is a poster around these parts as well, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Broke the 3hr mark yesterday for the first time. Big thanks to the 3hr pacer1 and the group around him. Everyone helped out with water for anyone who missed out at the early stops which were a little chaotic. Felt pretty good for first 17 miles or so. We had actually built up a buffer of around 65 secs heading into final 6 miles and by that point I started to struggle a little, but each time I managed to just keep in touch with the pacer group. I knew my average pace was slowing and I was really worried in that last mile if we had enough of time left in the bank to make it home under the 3hrs. As I was getting near the 26 mile marker a huge roar went up ahead of me near the finish and I thought they were roaring in the last of the sub 3's. I started cursing myself for slowing down in last few miles but as I got closer I saw the clock time was actually 2.58 and not 2.59 and realising I was going to make it was unbelievable. Panic, despair and elation all in 1 minute !! All that was left was the most enjoyable 50 yard run ever in under the clock. Finished in 2.59.25 and thrilled with it and still on a high today. Didn't see the pacer after I finished but thanks again. Well done to everyone who ran yesterday. Some great times out there. Big thanks also to eveyone who went out and volunteered or supported on the day.

Peckham wrote: »
    Agree, but whilst she excels in training, the focus on her log is pretty poor. Will be expecting some significant improvement in this regard over the next while.

;)

Such has been her tunnel-like preparation for DCM updating her log has indeed suffered. However, rest assured that her manager has had some stern words with regards to that element ;) and her ''followers'' can expect a voluminous race report over the coming days followed by some more regular updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Peckham wrote: »

;)
    I rather a 2:57 than a good log..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Weetabix wrote: »
    Just looking through the results and notice that a guy ran a 1:22 first half followed by a 1:16 second half, that's unreal running, I may be mistaken but I believe he is a poster around these parts as well, fair play.
    He ran very well, had only spotted him at 10 miles and was suprised to see him so far back but he really kicked on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Unfortunately one bad side I noticed yesterday was once again the throwing of water bottles as far as possible by a minority of particpants. Throwing into hedges, over walls and into business premisis. Totally unacceptable.

Put in the bins, or the very least, the side of the road so that they can be easily picked up.

Lost the plot on one occasion for a couple of seconds when I witnessed a runner throwing one full whack into the river. Why do people just purposely litter their own city and country. I got really frustrated by it and people should no better as it only results in the event organisers getting grief through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

Anybody else supporting at the corner of Nutley and Merion Shopping centre see the fool on the bike almost clip Hehir and take him out of the race on his bike??
    Unbelievable, Hehir grabbed his hamstring after it and the guy on the bike got an awful bollocking. Totally oblivious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone know what happened to Brian Maher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Weetabix wrote: »

Indeed he is and ran a very smart race and one hell of a neg split

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

runsir wrote: »
    Anybody else supporting at the corner of Nutley and Merion Shopping centre see the fool on the bike almost clip Hehir and take him out of the race on his bike??
    Unbelievable, Hehir grabbed his hamstring after it and the guy on the bike got an awful bollocking. Totally oblivious.

he mentioned that in an interview - was it a spectator bike or on an course bike ?
    I was just around the corner on merrion road and the gap was about 80 m back to Joe S, he kicked on well from there. Great to watch a race and not have to run it .. Sergei looked very strong at that point may have left a bit in tank i think .
    Claire Mc was still ahead at that point ( 22.5 mile), Mccambridge must have stormed the last few miles.

Maher and Colm rooney were pacing the two lads till ten miles i think

The pain on some peoples faces told a tale, getting a marathon done is a real achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

brutes1 wrote: »
    he mentioned that in an interview - was it a spectator bike or on an course bike ?
    I was just around the corner on merrion road and the gap was about 80 m back to Joe S, he kicked on well from there. Great to watch a race and not have to run it .. Sergei looked very strong at that point may have left a bit in tank i think .
    Claire Mc was still ahead at that point ( 22.5 mile), Mccambridge must have stormed the last few miles.

Maher and Colm rooney were pacing the two lads till ten miles i think

The pain on some peoples faces told a tale, getting a marathon done is a real achievement.

Anywhere I could get a look at that interview.

It was some guy in his late 50s out on his bike, clipped him just as he came around the corner. Unreal, could have been a disaster!

Advertisement