Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Said it in the Irish times. Described it as a "little incident" or something along those lines.

Fair play to bray wheelers. Seemed to do a great job marashalling on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 liz1991

Did my first marathon yesterday and was so overwhelmed by all the support. I did it on crutches (I have a neurological disorder and can't walk unaided) and finished in just under 8h 30. Delighted! Couldn't have done it without the amazing cheering crowds.

imageID_31217__imageTypeID_2.image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Weetabix wrote: »
    Just looking through the results and notice that a guy ran a 1:22 first half followed by a 1:16 second half, that's unreal running, I may be mistaken but I believe he is a poster around these parts as well, fair play.

Yeah that was me. The plan was for an 80min first half but I had to go to the jacks at crumlin so lost a bit of time there. The wind was very tough in places(crumlin road, pearse st) but I reckon we got out of jail considering how the south of England got hammered. Love this marathon, I couldnt believe the support, in some places it was like a mountain stage of the tour de france with all the people crowding both sides of the street. I'll stick up a race report over on the race report thread, but be warned its gonna be epic(as in long).

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

liz1991 wrote: »
    Did my first marathon yesterday and was so overwhelmed by all the support. I did it on crutches (I have a neurological disorder and can't walk unaided) and finished in just under 8h 30. Delighted! Couldn't have done it without the amazing cheering crowds.

wow.That's an amazing achievement. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Incredible achievement. Words fail me.

• Advertisement

dechol wrote: »
    wow.That's an amazing achievement. Well done.

Thank you! :)

RedRunner wrote: »
    Incredible achievement. Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Anyone know what happened to Brian Maher?
    Though he was pacing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    Unfortunately one bad side I noticed yesterday was once again the throwing of water bottles as far as possible by a minority of particpants. Throwing into hedges, over walls and into business premisis. Totally unacceptable.

Put in the bins, or the very least, the side of the road so that they can be easily picked up.

Lost the plot on one occasion for a couple of seconds when I witnessed a runner throwing one full whack into the river. Why do people just purposely litter their own city and country. I got really frustrated by it and people should no better as it only results in the event organisers getting grief through no fault of their own.

Yeah, same as. I completely lost the plot with one lad who threw a bottle over a bridge into the river at Chapelizod. I had announced at the first water station to the pace group not to throw bottles :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 runner44

I am O55 and I did my second DCM yesterday having already done it in 2011(and swearing that I would never do it again!). I got in a few minutes under 5hrs having taken almost half an hour off my previous time! So happy-now I can retire again and just stick to the shorter distances! Well done to everyone involved and all the spectators. The support along the route was amazing. Just to mention a few highlights - my amazing daughter who cycled around to different spots to support me, seeing my dad, who is almost 88, standing on Fosters ave and running with a rhino for about a mile in the phoenix park! Enjoyed every minute of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hey all - I took a few videos of the runners yesterday (did something similar last year), mainly on Fenian Street and Grand Canal Street towards the end of the course, but also at the finish line. Most of the runners from the first 2/3rds of the video are on a 3hr-3hr 20min pace, while those in the final 1/3rd of the video are on a 4hr 50min-5hr 10min pace:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I read about you in the Indo Fitness supplement the other week.
    Major Kudos to you. I can't even imagine attempting that. Running it was tough enough!
    Your training walks from home to work must have been gruelling. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

The race video just went online http://mysports.tv/ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Just looking at the irish times now with Maria Mc Cambridge hugging her husband. Interestingly her garmin reads 26.62 for distance.

Mine read 26.50. Maybe not on the ideal racing line I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Just looking at the irish times now with Maria Mc Cambridge hugging her husband. Interestingly her garmin reads 26.62 for distance.

my nike running app showed 46k :):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

foxyboxer wrote: »

Maria's was the 610 but she would have ran racing line, another mate also with 610 had similar distance
    I paced sub 3hr and measured it 26.31 with 405 and s/w ver. 2.8.
    TRR had 26.32 also with 405

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Abhainn wrote: »
    Maria's was the 610 but she would have ran racing line, another mate also with 610 had similar distance
    I paced sub 3hr and measured it 26.31 with 405 and s/w ver. 2.8.
    TRR had 26.32 also with 405

My new 610 also measured 26.62, I should have stuck with the 405;)
    Great to catch up with you again yesterday. Happy Birthday, I owe you a drink:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I made a little game into trying to get the bottle into the massive bins to distract myself. :) People kicking them yards up the road, belting them off the curb, senseless. Lots of inspiring stories, great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I have been looking for running inspiration of the last few months. Ran Berlin last month and I was like meh. DCM 2014 to get that 3:04 to sub 3 is a must. I enjoyed dcm 2012 better than Berlin last month . Dublin is a special race. I am physically more suited to the shorted races but my heart loves dcm.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

The marathon organisers must really like the Revolver / Wheel of Dublin, beside the O2. Despite being dismantled and moved to York in November 2011, it gets a mention in the official Marathon magazine as something to look out for on the Breakfast Run route, and it features prominently as one of the buildings in the Dublin skyline etched on the medal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 purceninho

Thanks to all marshals, volunteers, supporters, everyone who helped make yesterday's marathon a great day out. Have done the last 6 Dublin marathons and I think it gets better every year.

Also congrats to all from boards on some great performances, those who achieved PBs and those whose race did not go as hoped but yet gave their all.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Hi Liz
    I met you in the park , quite simply you are amazing , I was literally dumbstruck seeing you , you are an inspiration and I'm delighted you finished

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Monkey Allen

Well done to all who ran. I'm thinking of doing I some next year. Did my first marathon this year in Sydney. I think it's much flatter than the DCM so more training required. But wanted to say that any of you who get anywhere near the 3 hour mark are truly incredible. I might aim for a 3:30 or 3:45. I ran 4:00:42 in Sydney which I was really happy with. Then got the marathon bug and want to do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Putting up links to photos and videos as I come across them...

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2013/10/results-photos-of-2013-dublin-city.html

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

What a great day it turned into. Loved the support from the brilliant crowd on Monday. Really feel they helped me from stopping in the later stages. Race report to follow at a later date, but ran a pb of 3.15.22 and am over the moon with it. Love everything about the DCM, here's to 2014 !

Mr.W

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Big Thanks to the 3x 3.30 pacers Great job lads got me sub 3.30 didn't think I would ever get to say that so cheers!!

Also to the Clare Crusaders for the company - Up the Banner!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Just catching up on all of this now. well done to everyone who ran and thanks so much for all the good wishes. there is an epic report to come which should make up for my lack of logging as it basically includes the 26.2 miles on Monday as well as the 800 training miles that preceded!! Unfortunately i had the pleasure of being in work yesterday and for the rest of the week so it'll take a wee while to put together :) watch this space though - I'llhave you all in a coma in no time! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Hi All,

Congratulations on running the marathon this year. Looked like a great day for it. A friend of mine was out taking pictures on the day and as he doesn't have an account I'm going to share them for him as there are some great shots there. Hopefully someone here might see themselves. www.flickr.com/Eirlab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    What a great day it turned into. Loved the support from the brilliant crowd on Monday. Really feel they helped me from stopping in the later stages. Race report to follow at a later date, but ran a pb of 3.15.22 and am over the moon with it. Love everything about the DCM, here's to 2014 !

Mr.W

Congrats Mr Wiggle. Great Time. Looking forward to the report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

murphd77 wrote: »
    410 here, measured 42.33.

Was using the Nike+ / Tom Tom GPS Sportwatch - recorded 26.38miles last year and 26.37miles this year.

Advertisement