Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I have heard that someone measured it with a thing called a jones counter and it measured somewhere between 42.195KM and 42.237KM

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Does anyone know if the High Vis jackets that were being worn by the Stewards/Volunteers on Monday available for purchase? They were adidas with the DCM logo on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Sorry to hear the poor guy who collapsed at the finish passed away. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

And here's me complaining about a few seconds and a sore hamstring.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Very sad. Experienced club runner too, although first time at the marathon distance - finished in 3:10

Ironically running it to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/dublin-marathon-runner-dies-following-collapse-on-monday-29712049.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Here's his charity page.

Raising money for Heart Foundation. http://www.justgiving.com/RickiSavage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Absolute Downer :( Really sad to hear that.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Really puts it all into perspective.
    My thoughts go out to his family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

That's gutting to hear. I really hoped he'd pull through.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Such sad news. RIP. Two tragic losses in the race series. Thoughts with both their families.

RIP

That's awful news :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We do this for fun, mostly, and as a hobby, but this is a reminder that we all need to keep an eye on our heart health and general health in the midst of all this. I know I for one, dont get checkups, and we all should.

My sympathy to that guys family, such an awful thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dubrgn

RIP Ricki, at least, we can take some comfort, that his family from the UK where given the opportunity to be with him in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

foxyboxer wrote: »

Your photo is now No 2 in the all time views on my Flickr Account !!

This is the No 1 http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorywilliams/3188777295/ and you are catching fast....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just did a quick analysis of the top 1,000 runners:
    • 87% of the runners (myself included) ran a positive split (second half was slower than the first half).
    • For those who ran a positive split, on average they ran the second half just under six minutes slower than the first half
    • For those who ran a negative split, on average they ran the second half 1 minute and 37 seconds quicker than the first half
    • Tunkuska ran the third most impressive negative split
    • Some (genuine) runners improved by over 1,400 positions, between the 10k chip timing mat, and the finish line
    • Success does not come cheap. Many runners with aggressive goals (1:20 - 1:30 first half) paid the price, and were passed by 300-500 runners.
    • Most evenly paced negative split? Maria Mc Cambridge, with a 1:19:26 first half, and a 1:19:25 second half (despite having to stop).
    • Most evenly paced positive split? Claire Mc Carthy, with a 1:19:43 first half, and a 1:19:44 second half
    • Some people cheated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

• 87% of the runners (myself included) ran a positive split (second half was slower than the first half).
    • For those who ran a positive split, on average they ran the second half just under six minutes slower than the first half
    • For those who ran a negative split, on average they ran the second half 1 minute and 37 seconds quicker than the first half
    • Some (genuine) runners improved by over 1,400 positions, between the 10k chip timing mat, and the finish line
    • Success does not come cheap. Many runners with aggressive goals (1:20 - 1:30 first half) paid the price, and were passed by 300-500 runners.
    • Most evenly paced negative split? Maria Mc Cambridge, with a 1:19:26 first half, and a 1:19:25 second half (despite having to stop).
    • Most evenly paced positive split? Claire Mc Carthy, with a 1:19:43 first half, and a 1:19:44 second half
    • One cheeky runner managed a 1:50 first half and a 1:05 second half, out-performing the entire field in the second half of the race :eek:
    • Another cheeky runner crossed the 10k mark in around 7,600th place, and managed to improve to a top 200 position overall :eek:

There is always one :rolleyes:

ecoli wrote: »
    There is always one :rolleyes:
    There is always at least three. ;)

It's a bit of a massive co-incidence that the first and second females managed the most even splits (out of the top 1,000 runners).

And I'm sure deep down I'm happier with my 4 hr + non pb than he or she is with that "result".

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    And I'm sure deep down I'm happier with my 4 hr + non pb than he or she is with that "result".
    He looked fairly happy crossing the finish line. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

• One cheeky runner managed a 1:50 first half and a 1:05 second half, out-performing the entire field in the second half of the race :eek:
    • Another cheeky runner crossed the 10k mark in around 7,600th place, and managed to improve to a top 200 position overall :eek:

Thats a great summary!

How did you work out the position of runners at the different markers? Was it just by sorting results on the tdl website or something else?

I would love to find out what sort of position I was in at the half and finish markers!

rob w wrote: »
    How did you work out the position of runners at the different markers? Was it just by sorting results on the tdl website or something else?

I would love to find out what sort of position I was in at the half and finish markers!
    It's all on the TDL site; no sorting required. Just look at the stage position and chip position columns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Nice facts but I think you should be busy writing a race report......
    Did I say well done to you on monday? My brain was mush and my teeth chattering with the cold, I couldn't remember if I had congratulated you or not. Plus I was concerned about you're colour, I shouldve taken a picture. You were sitting on a step, face purple, shivering and drinking a can of cheap looking beer.....
    Well done you ran a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

Thanks, only had a quick look yesterday, ill check it out later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Feck sake. There's photos of one if them walking in the park. No bloody shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Feck sake. There's photos of one if them walking in the park. No bloody shame.

It baffles me every time I hear of people doing this, it really does :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

tunguska wrote: »
    . You were sitting on a step, face purple, shivering and drinking a can of cheap looking beer......

Krusty is taking the username way to serious!

Great race and report by yourself Tunguska......

Put it another way I feel I've more to be proud of with a slow but honest time than he has with a fast but fictitious time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's all on the TDL site; no sorting required. Just look at the stage position and chip position columns.
    Sorry if I'm being an idiot, but where are these links? Is it on this page somewhere? Leaderboard or Tracking tab?
    http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLIN-2013#b=RSXMLT9P&v=lboard&c=top-men-marathon&l=10K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Funnily enough he doesn't have any chip time at the 20 mile mark. :rolleyes:

What ever happened to the guy who took a shortcut last year? Did he get banned from taking part again?

Advertisement