Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

TJC wrote: »
    €95 to enter the race before the last deadline

so don't wait until the last deadline

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

RayCun wrote: »
    so don't wait until the last deadline

Dont really have a choice.. might not be able to run at all!!
    But sure ah well....its a great race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Ran 6 miles in just under 50 mins on Sunday after a week and a half's training, dunno if thats any good. Felt good so starting to think I made the right choice in signing up. But October is a long way away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Airtricity become title sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

I'm a member of Marathon Club Ireland and intersted in joining forum on marathon pacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gijima wrote: »
    I'm a member of Marathon Club Ireland and intersted in joining forum on marathon pacing.

PM one of the forum mods and they will be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Trampas wrote: »
    Airtricity become title sponsor
    Now that they've got a sponser shall we all hold our breath whilst they reduce the ridiculous entry fee??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Now that they've got a sponser shall we all hold our breath whilst they reduce the ridiculous entry fee??

Quite frankly, if you think the fee is ridiculous then just don't do it.
    €75 seems perfectly reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think €75 for a marathon in the city centre is a fair price (and that's coming from someone (me) who was bitchin' about Charleville HM going to €35 this year:pac:!).
    But if you do decide to register be quick about it as the price goes up on Aug 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

I suppose its all down to personal circumstances & views really. Entry fees are always justified by some means, no matter what price, but personally, I'm convinced they are just pulled out of the air.
    And lets not go down the not enter it arguement as it is the premium marathon event in the country ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 RunMD

Prize money gone through the roof I hear since Airtricity came on board ,

Organisers would do well to beef up good bag for mr and mrs Joe Soap this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

RunMD wrote: »

I often wonder where some of the information, or misinformation comes from. Just to put you in the correct picture, there is a much reduced prize fund this year. The prize fund was set up before Airtricity came on board and was set as it is so that the race could survive. The fact that there is now a sponsor means that we can go ahead with all our plans for this year in the knowledge that we will also have a Dublin Marathon in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Ya I definitely need more shampoo samples, baby wipes and an extra bar made from chipboard. Goody bags rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I hear all the sponsorship money is going on coke and hookers for the pacers.

Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

menoscemo wrote: »
    I hear all the sponsorship money is going on coke and hookers for the pacers.

Happy days :)

Right im giving up both till the marathon and fill my boots :D

pconn062 wrote: »
    You posted this, then deleted it, and then decide to post it again?? Hmmm....

No I did not delete it
    BOARDS.IE deleted it, along with another comment of a contributor to this..

Therefore I posted it again .....

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

RunMD...it is big business, yes. But just like big business the costs are huge. Unless you have been involved in organising races and know the costs involved ,please do not try and run down the incredible people that have been involved in making the Dublin Marathon what it is today. These people have worked (on a voluntary basis) tirelessly to keep our marathon growing , and this year without initially a major sponsor, was going to be difficult. But now they can move it forward again and just maybe an Irish winner will give it another major boost when they need it most. Just a shame that TV won't capture a possible historic moment

FYI .. Example of poor mouth

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/dublin-marathon-slowdown-as-sponsorship-gap-forces-cutbacks-1.1343754

Title sponsor come on board and no reduction in entry fee .. The least you could do it cut the top rate entry fee (€95) and cap it at level 2 (€85)

AT THE VERY LEAST !!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No I did not delete it
    BOARDS.IE deleted it, along with another comment of a contributor to this..

Therefore I posted it again ..... That ok ?

<Mod>No, it's not OK.

Behave or there will be bans.</Mod>

To be Clear I'm not running down the event , I love the event ..
    But I don't like what the event is turning into ..

In addition there is very very high possibility now with no Kenyan's ( which is also a crazy move ) that a UK or European athlete will come over and collect the prize money .. Blowing that "we want to see an Irish winner" Mumbo jumbo out your H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

To be Clear I'm not running down the event , I love the event ..
    But I don't like what the event is turning into ..

In addition there is very very high possibility now with no Kenyan's ( which is also a crazy move ) that a UK or European athlete will come over and collect the prize money .. Blowing that "we want to see an Irish winner" Mumbo jumbo out your H

I think you should elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "But I don't like what the event is turning into .. ". Is it the price increase? That seems to be your main gripe. Which is fair enough comment. However, the price increase of €5 was the first increase in years and came on the back of effectively having no title sponsor for two years.
    There is a likelihood that the entry fee will go down next year if there is a title sponsor. However, that decision will be based on sound financial reasoning and not on the need for the committee members needing to change their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

just a reminder on the early entry until tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Im in. Looking forward to it, haven't run Dublin for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Signed up this morning. This time 3 months it will all be over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

it's been a few years since i did this, whats the deal with the ITab?
    wasn't sure about the High Definition Streaming Video + HD Download: but i ticked that box too, they love people like me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The itab is just a sticker with your time printed on it. You can attach it to the back of your medal. I didn't bother ordering it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Signed up for this. Scary to think it's less than 13 weeks away :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

balls..shouldve looked at this thread yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

murphd77 wrote: »
    The itab is just a sticker with your time printed on it. You can attach it to the back of your medal.

Well thats sh!te. Calling it an 'itab' makes it sound high-tech! I honestly thought it would have some kind of digital display:rolleyes:

€5 for a sticker? No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Well thats sh!te. Calling it an 'itab' makes it sound high-tech! I honestly thought it would have some kind of digital display:rolleyes:

€5 for a sticker? No thanks.

Signing up for The marathon last night felt like I was booking a flight with ryanair. Had to be careful incase they caught me. Ended up not signing up. Now it will Cost me 88. Steep but it's well worth it. Dublin is a class event. Handing out bottles of water and sports drink is worth paying extra for in my eyes

Advertisement