Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well thats sh!te. Calling it an 'itab' makes it sound high-tech! I honestly thought it would have some kind of digital display:rolleyes:

€5 for a sticker? No thanks.

I actually quite like the iTab idea. It's a little bit more than a sticker, more like a metal strip with your time engraved on it that you can stick onto slot provided on back of medal. Whether its worth an extra fiver is debatable alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Signing up for The marathon last night felt like I was booking a flight with ryanair. Had to be careful incase they caught me
    How? Every single optional extra is unchecked by default

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Signed up for this the other night despite having fupp all long runs done so far. Could be an interesting few hours on the road for me in late October :o

Anyway, looking for recommendations for strategically placed hotels in Dublin city centre. Will have an extra supporter (a by then 1 yr old Cartman Jnr.) on board this year so want somewhere near the finish and child-friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Signed up for this the other night despite having fupp all long runs done so far. Could be an interesting few hours on the road for me in late October :o

Anyway, looking for recommendations for strategically placed hotels in Dublin city centre. Will have an extra supporter (a by then 1 yr old Cartman Jnr.) on board this year so want somewhere near the finish and child-friendly

Camden court ticks all the boxes. Pool and jacuzzi afterwards is an added bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Gavlor wrote: »
    Camden court ticks all the boxes. Pool and jacuzzi afterwards is an added bonus

Ya, stayed there before and pool for kids is great, especially if were out for a Jog!
    Looks to be full according to most websites. Try www.olotels.com/hotels
    I got a room last night when every other site said unavailable.
    just hope were not double booked :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Finished first half marathon yesterday in 1:48. Have plugged the time into the runnersworld race time predictor and it told me 3:46 for a full marathon. Now, yesterday was mostly okay. I had 11 great miles, one fine one and one praying for death's sweet release, and I was happy with the time as I'd been aiming for 1:50. Longest LSR to date was 21km. How well placed would I be, running four times a week, to get the marathon finished in 3:50, with a good diet and training plan? I currently have two 10ks, a kilmarathon and the Athlone 3-quarter pencilled in as my intervals beforehand. Also, it seems very daunting to me to have the longest run beforehand be 10k short of the full distance. Can you really pull all the extra distance out on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's hard to know based on your training base to date, i.e. how many miles per month you've been putting in and for how long. However it would seem you are reasonably well placed for a 3:50 with the right training plan, diet, and a bit of luck.

As for the extra 10k on the day, yes, you really can pull it out. The idea of the training plan is to have you ready to peak on the day. Most of us around here have found out that we can do it (the miles at least, maybe not the desired time).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Finished first half marathon yesterday in 1:48. Have plugged the time into the runnersworld race time predictor and it told me 3:46 for a full marathon. Now, yesterday was mostly okay. I had 11 great miles, one fine one and one praying for death's sweet release, and I was happy with the time as I'd been aiming for 1:50. Longest LSR to date was 21km. How well placed would I be, running four times a week, to get the marathon finished in 3:50, with a good diet and training plan? I currently have two 10ks, a kilmarathon and the Athlone 3-quarter pencilled in as my intervals beforehand. Also, it seems very daunting to me to have the longest run beforehand be 10k short of the full distance. Can you really pull all the extra distance out on the day?

You should jump in on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056913937
    I think 3.50 is optimistic, and 3.46 very optimistic for the marathon. In my first year I ran 1:48 and 3:58. But the extra 10k isn't a problem.

Would say currently doing about twenty miles or so a week on average over the last month, though I've been running fairly steadily and recreationally for a few years at this stage, and building that up. Trying to do probably two quicker shorter runs, around four miles each, one easier pace around five and a half and then a longer run, but the longer runs are getting longer and dragging the time and distance up too. What would be a good weekly training regimen at this stage in terms of distances and paces?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

ive a 45 min 10k recent, and a 1.49 half ( from over a year ago ) and a 3.12 3/4 from last year in athlone ,
    the runnersworld link puts me at 3.27 with the 10k time.. and 3.47 with the half marathon time
    there isnt a hope of either happening.. just under or just over 4 will do nicely.
    my first marathon and i think the thing to do is take it handy and enjoy it..gonna get a pb anyway.. i wouldnt be too hung up on killing myself to hit a time pre-determined by some random calculator

• Advertisement

woody1 wrote: »
    i wouldnt be too hung up on killing myself to hit a time pre-determined by some random calculator

Fair enough - however I think it's fair to say that the predicted time is not picked out of the air randomly. It's predetermined by your existing times, and is obviously more accurate for more recent performances, especially those of longer races (10 miles and above). I've found the McMillan calculator to be accurate within a couple of minutes for my own times, and a good source for deciding what pace to be aiming at for each race. I would certainly not be discounting a sub-4 marathon with your recent 10k time, provided I was following a decent marathon plan and looking after myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

check this article out... interesting take on the calcualtors http://www.hillrunner.com/jim2/id208.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

RayCun wrote: »
    You should jump in on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056913937
    I think 3.50 is optimistic, and 3.46 very optimistic for the marathon. In my first year I ran 1:48 and 3:58. But the extra 10k isn't a problem.

I will second this.
    I did the carlingfor half this year in 1:46, then the Limerick marathon in 3:58.
    I was running 4 times a week following the HHN2 program

Don't forget it was very warm in Limerick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

If its your first Marathon you can safely ignore the calculators. Generally you will not have a large enough aerobic base built on one marathon training cycle to get near what the most popular calculators spit out.

I have to say, I did think it seemed rather optimistic, but will see what I can get out of hard training. I'll certainly be happy with anything that starts with "3" in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

event wrote: »
    I will second this.
    I did the carlingfor half this year in 1:46, then the Limerick marathon in 3:58.
    I was running 4 times a week following the HHN2 program

An awful lot depends upon the training plan that you're following. For my first marathon I did a 1:38 (toughish) half 12 weeks beforehand. I ran 3:24 in the marathon going through halfway in about 1:39.

There's a lot of scope for improvment in 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Would say currently doing about twenty miles or so a week on average over the last month, though I've been running fairly steadily and recreationally for a few years at this stage, and building that up. Trying to do probably two quicker shorter runs, around four miles each, one easier pace around five and a half and then a longer run, but the longer runs are getting longer and dragging the time and distance up too. What would be a good weekly training regimen at this stage in terms of distances and paces?

I think that RayCun is pointing you in the right direction but a quick summary of what a sensible plan for you based on 4 days a week (which is plenty) would be something like.

1 long run
    1 medium long run
    1 marathon pace/tempo run
    1 easy run - fairly short

Build the distance of each run each week but back off a little every 4th week.
    Do a few 100m strides a couple of times a week focusing on running tall.

The long and medium long runs should be at a steady effort. You're working but you're not killing yourself and you can hold a conversation.

Alternate the marathon pace and tempo runs from one week to the next. Marathon pace in training should be working reasonably hard and you could hold a conversation but not comfortably. Tempo runs are shorter (but do an extended warm up) and faster. You can say a couple of words but not hold a conversation.

Distance wise it's important that you start from where you are not from where you want to be. I'd suggest that you begin by restructuring your week so that the two fast runs turn into the medium long and tempo/marathon pace runs. Then add a mile to each of your runs each week (except for recovery weeks when you should back off by about 20 - 25%). When your long run gets to 15 add 2 miles. If you're not going to get to 20 that way don't worry about it but you should ideally be doing one or two runs that take 3hrs+ so you get used to being on your feet for long periods of time.

Execute that plan well and you'll run reasonably well.

Before I forget - do core work, do it at least 3 times a week, in front of the TV, in a spare meeting room at work, in a pilates class, before anyone else in the house gets up in the morning - it doesn't matter when but it needs to get done. Your hips and back play a much bigger role in running that many realise and if you don't take care of them you'll get injured.

Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Bartman1970

Does anybody know if water at DCM will be in bottles or cups ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bottles in the marathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Does anybody know if water at DCM will be in bottles or cups ?

Was in those small kids bottles last year. The race series usually has them in cups, but small bottles for the main event.

Also, they give out that Spar Isotonic Drink for the DCM at a couple of stations too. It's the most bitter and unpleasant drink I've ever had - will be getting friends and family to line the course and hand me an alternative!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Bartman1970

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Was in those small kids bottles last year. The race series usually has them in cups, but small bottles for the main event.

Also, they give out that Spar Isotonic Drink for the DCM at a couple of stations too. It's the most bitter and unpleasant drink I've ever had - will be getting friends and family to line the course and hand me an alternative!

Lucozade a sponsor this year .. So all isotonic drinks will be from them ( according to the 2013 map )

Lucozade @ 9 , 12 , 18 and 20 miles

Would be nice to know the flavours so we could start training with them . I wouldn't like to be trying a new flavour on race day for the first time

It would be nice if DCM put a little more attention on the small details like IRONMAN do ..
    And it would only take some body 10 mins to drawn up and stick on the website

Lucozade a sponsor this year .. So all isotonic drinks will be from them ( according to the 2013 map )

Jackpot!!! Fingers crossed they don't include whatever surplus they have of Lucozade Sport Lite, which is basically pi$$.

I'm never happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Jackpot!!! Fingers crossed they don't include whatever surplus they have of Lucozade Sport Lite, which is basically pi$$.

I'm never happy :)

Previous to Spar sponsorship it was Lucozade Sport Orange. Would assume its the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Lucozade @ 9 , 12 , 18 and 20 miles

Would be nice to know the flavours so we could start training with them . I wouldn't like to be trying a new flavour on race day for the first time

It would be nice if DCM put a little more attention on the small details like IRONMAN do ..
    And it would only take some body 10 mins to drawn up and stick on the website

Orange flavour lucozade at all the stations this year.

This pleases me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'll bring the Vodka!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'll bring the Vodka!

Really...Vodka & Lucozade Sport......
    then again, I suppose and argument could be made for combining them...electrolytes and something to numb the inevitable pain.
    Ill take some onboard if theres some available near UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I really want to register for this but I'm so scared of injury. I have a niggle in my heel but I'm torn between resting and running. How long do I need to rest for it To clear up without missing out on too many miles? Doing the frank Duffy 10 mile tomorrow then ill see how it feels. I've been to physio and did what I was told. I'm not in pain with it but I'm aware that its not 100% and I'm afraid it will get worse. Ran DCM in 2008. Pregnancy and babies have stopped me doing it since then. Hopefully nothing will stop me this year. It's on mind mind weather I'm awake or asleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Will it be lucozade gels on the course as well?

Advertisement