Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2013: Mod Note #316 NO RACE SWAPS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

TRR wrote: »
    That sort of question should be enough to get you struck from the pacers list ;)

It's alright - it will be a jog in the park.
    It's the next 18 miles I'm concerned about :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Just to add to this clarification, last year we had 4 pacers for each of 9 (15 min) bands = 36 pacers.
    This year we have 3 pacers for each of 13 (10 min) bands = 39 pacers. Hardly a lot more.

And there will be a pacer stand at the Expo, where you can ask the pacers anything relating to pacing or other marathon questions.

Just to clarify that my post about the pacers was completely tongue in cheek lads. ( serious smiley )
    The last thing I want is a bunch of p!ssed off pacers , with a vendetta
    against poor old Mr.W , out for revenge over 26.2 miles !!!:eek:
    ( I can see the movie deal already! )

And thats pretty good advise about starting with the 3.20 bunch, will probably take it !! ( but keep quiet at the back )

Mr.W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

hey mr wiggle, myself and wowzer were talking on his log about forming an unofficial 3:15 group, hop on board

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86678687&postcount=329

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Just to clarify that my post about the pacers was completely tongue in cheek lads. ( serious smiley )
    The last thing I want is a bunch of p!ssed off pacers , with a vendetta
    against poor old Mr.W , out for revenge over 26.2 miles !!!:eek:
    ( I can see the movie deal already! )

And thats pretty good advise about starting with the 3.20 bunch, will probably take it !! ( but keep quiet at the back )

Mr.W

Don't worry mr wiggle they are all failed racers. I'll have your back in mcgrattans. Notice lack of smiley faces ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

TRR wrote: »
    Don't worry mr wiggle they are all failed racers. I'll have your back in mcgrattans. Notice lack of smiley faces ;)

Was it last year or the year before you were a failed pacer ruining some poor souls race? :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Guys, in relation to the live tracking - how many tracking points are there for the marathon? My sister was able to see online how my wife was progressing last year - I didn't even know there was tracking provided. I set it up for the half marathon last week, and it seemed to only track the start time and finish time, but nothing in between (which is of limited use really). I presume last year they had a lot more points along the route that sensed the tag - but does anyone know how many points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

PauloMN wrote: »
    Guys, in relation to the live tracking - how many tracking points are there for the marathon? My sister was able to see online how my wife was progressing last year - I didn't even know there was tracking provided. I set it up for the half marathon last week, and it seemed to only track the start time and finish time, but nothing in between (which is of limited use really). I presume last year they had a lot more points along the route that sensed the tag - but does anyone know how many points?

Normally its 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 20 mile point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I was watching near the finish last year and a woman standing beside me was able to tell when her son had gone through the 25 mile point.
    I would assume if that was the case there was a mark for every mile?
    Not sure if it was the same tracking device though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Normally its 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 20 mile point.
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    I was watching near the finish last year and a woman standing beside me was able to tell when her son had gone through the 25 mile point.
    I would assume if that was the case there was a mark for every mile?
    Not sure if it was the same tracking device though?

There were 2 options last year that I recall.

1) the standard one based on your chip which recorded at 10k, HM and 20 miles as pistol says for everyone.

2) If you carried around a phone that was GPS enabled and data on, there was another site which if you registered with prior to the race, people could pretty much track you the whole way around.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well I went in with the kids to see my wife, and I had gotten her to turn on her data and GPS and I was tracking her through Google, so I was able to see where she was while we were waiting near Pearse St. station. I never even realised there was tracking provided by the race organisers.

3 points is just about ok, would be better to have 5 or 6 though for a marathon, but I guess the gear is expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Well I went in with the kids to see my wife, and I had gotten her to turn on her data and GPS and I was tracking her through Google, so I was able to see where she was while we were waiting near Pearse St. station. I never even realised there was tracking provided by the race organisers.

3 points is just about ok, would be better to have 5 or 6 though for a marathon, but I guess the gear is expensive.
    I signed up for the live tracking last year. It was about six euro I think. My family were able to follow me thru whole race by tracker. Stopped in rialto for a wee and was asked by my sister what happened at mile ten afterwards so was fairly accurate. They said it showed where I was for whole route and that it was great. I didn't hAve a phone with me so must be from chip? My family were really impressed with it and ended up meeting me on route a few times cause they knew exactly where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jmcc99_98

Where can you sign up for the tracker thing? I would find that very useful, I cant find anything about it on the website.

dechol wrote: »
    I signed up for the live tracking last year. It was about six euro I think. My family were able to follow me thru whole race by tracker. Stopped in rialto for a wee and was asked by my sister what happened at mile ten afterwards so was fairly accurate. They said it showed where I was for whole route and that it was great. I didn't hAve a phone with me so must be from chip? My family were really impressed with it and ended up meeting me on route a few times cause they knew exactly where I was.

Can you remember if you signed up for it when you registered i.e. on the DCM site, or separately? I don't remember seeing anything about it when I signed up.

That sounds great though, would save me using the phone for tracking (my battery would probably go anyway seeing as I'll be running slooooooow!).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

jmcc99_98 wrote: »
    Where can you sign up for the tracker thing? I would find that very useful, I cant find anything about it on the website.

I think the link usually pops up a few weeks before DCM
    I remember tracking my wife last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Can you remember if you signed up for it when you registered i.e. on the DCM site, or separately? I don't remember seeing anything about it when I signed up.

That sounds great though, would save me using the phone for tracking (my battery would probably go anyway seeing as I'll be running slooooooow!).

Yes it wasn't when I signed up. It was about a week before marathon and was on home page of DCM website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Ok, I signed up for the DCM today. I have done ZERO training and won't be able to start running until the 6th Oct!! The longest I've ever ran before was 13km (in just over 1hr) which was in March of this year. Since then I've done no training. Excited and very nervous :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Filibuster wrote: »
    Ok, I signed up for the DCM today. I have done ZERO training and won't be able to start running until the 6th Oct!! The longest I've ever ran before was 13km (in just over 1hr) which was in March of this year. Since then I've done no training. Excited and very nervous :p

Popcorn time! :D

Why can't you start running until 6th October?

If I were you I'd go out right now!

Wasn't really a wise decison to sign up with ZERO training. It won't be pretty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Ok, I signed up for the DCM today.

Damn - I could've given you my number for half price............I'm sure you'd do me proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

blockic wrote: »
    Popcorn time! :D

nah - Ecoli will be in soon, in a bad mood and shut it down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

You're getting near taper time on 6th Oct. Make sure you don't do too much - you'll want to arrive at the startline fresh ;) best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

You should sign up for Focus Ireland. They'll get you to the front of the crowd and you won't have as far to run.:D

As long as you buy some good running gear the week before, you should be fine!
    On a more serious note -Have you set yourself a realistic target time?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

This reminds me the episode of How I Met your Mother when Barney runs the NY marathon with no training... Be funny if it ended up the same way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Good luck with it...be prepared for lots of walking and being passed out by people in fancy dress.

And make sure to stay injury free - would be a shame to waste all the months of training that you haven't done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Good luck with it...be prepared for lots of walking and being passed out by people in fancy dress.

And make sure to stay injury free - would be a shame to waste all the months of training that you haven't done ;)

haha yes I might start a training blog here when I start my program

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

What training programme are you gonna follow? Would love to see it!

zefer wrote: »
    This reminds me the episode of How I Met your Mother when Barney runs the NY marathon with no training... Be funny if it ended up the same way :)

My daughter read the post last nite and said the exact same thing! Hope thats the least that happens...come on, admit it , its a wind up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

nah - Ecoli will be in soon, in a bad mood and shut it down

Wow have I really become the "bad guy" mod?

Just like the lads who talk to the good old days when you just ran 40 miles hard to toughen you up only drinking water, ye have gone soft and got complacent and many forget the days of the old guard - Donothoponpop, Tingle, Amadeus - those lads would have put ye young pups in your place :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Joined September 2013...which long standing member is having fun and games?

Advertisement