Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biking in Galway & Clare

Options
  • 06-03-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'm living in Loughrea county Galway and I'm raring to get cycling again. I need advice on 2 things:
    1) where is the best place to get myself a racer (already have a pretty decent mountain bike)?
    2) Could anyone recommend some good routes to take in and around county galway and even going into to clare?

I've been around kinvara and burren before and it is fairly breathtaking scenery and done up around spiddal area many times. Is there anywhere else woodford/portumna/killaloe way that I should be checking out?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Living in Loughrea, TriBikes is the only shop in town worth looking at. The guys are part of the local 7 Springs Cycling Club and are knowledgeable about their stuff. They won't put you wrong.

Plenty of fantastic routes around the lake, up over Derrybrien by the windmills, long draggy stuff out to Athenry / Tuam direction and some rolling hilly stuff towards Portumna etc. Be worth checking out the cycling club, they have a website and Facebook where Sunday routes are often posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Oliver_Ahern

Living in Loughrea, TriBikes is the only shop in town worth looking at. The guys are part of the local 7 Springs Cycling Club and are knowledgeable about their stuff. They won't put you wrong.

Plenty of fantastic routes around the lake, up over Derrybrien by the windmills, long draggy stuff out to Athenry / Tuam direction and some rolling hilly stuff towards Portumna etc. Be worth checking out the cycling club, they have a website and Facebook where Sunday routes are often posted.

Really appreciate the advice/help on this. Def going to give the cycle club a try. I am also on the lookout for mountain bike races. Noticed one was just cancelled near killaloe which is disappointing as I'd earmarked that as my first race.

Thanks again, this weekend I can be found in the rolling hills out towards derrybrien!

Advertisement