Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP in Dundrum

Options
  • 06-03-2013 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

I m moving soon in Dundrum on Sandyford Road and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good GP there. I saw a clinic close by where I ll live,Clonard Clinic, Clonard Lodge,Sandyford Road. Anyone has been there?

Thank you in advance.

Dia

PS. This is my husband s nickname,I have to set up one for myself just I m in a hurry to find a good GP as I think I m pregnant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dr. Hastings, Sandyford village. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I go to clonard medical, to Dr. Weyham. Find him excellent. He was recommended to me by my public health nurse as he is family and breastfeeding friendly... (surprisingly not all GPs are :/)
    I've also heard very good reports about the medical centre in Stepaside, Dr. Grant there is meant to be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

liliq wrote: »
    I've also heard very good reports about the medical centre in Stepaside, Dr. Grant there is meant to be excellent.

+1 for Dr Grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seb77

Thank you to all for your replies. Appreciated.

I would also want to get some light on how is the medical system working here in Ireland. I live here for 7 years now. I'm an Irish citizen now but I did not really need medical attention (maybe from time to time some prescriptions but nothing serious).

I understand that if you are pregnant you have to choose first if you go to a public or a private hospital. I have health insurance and I was wondering how is this working? Back in my country you have your own GP and you find out from friends about a good gynaecologist, but not sure how is working here. Has anyone used the private hospital for delivering their baby? I thought the public ones are pretty good, but I would appreciate an inside from someone who has been through this.

Many thanks.

Dia

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JanLee

Another thumbs up for Dr Weyham in Clonard Medical. He's fantastic as is the Nurse there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Congratulations and I hope all goes well for you.

Here is the situation about public vs private maternity care, focussing on Dublin hospitals.

THere are 3 public maternity hospitals ( Holles St, Coombe, Rotunda( and one private hospital ( Mount Carmel).

You can choose to attend the public hospitals as a public patient, a semi-private patient, or a private patient.

As a public patient, your appointments in the hospital public clinic, you will be seen by a number of different mid-wives and doctors. The care is good, but you might have long queues at your appointments and you see a different person each time. You can see your GP for some visits, for free, under the combined care program, which your GP will explain to you. You will have a bed in a public ward in the hospital.
    At the birth, you will be attended by the midwives and the doctor on duty.

As a semi-private patient, you visit the semi-private clinic for ante-natal appointments, and you are under the care of a team of doctors. You can plan your appointments to make sure that you see the same doctor every time, but you are not guaranteed that. At the birth, one of the doctors will attend, but is may not be the doctor you have seen.
    You can have a bed in a semi-private room. Private Health insurance covers all ( or most) of the cost of semi-private care.

As a private patient, you see a doctor as a private patient for all appointments They will deliver your baby ( unless it is the middle of the night, and they might just give instructions over the phone) and you can have a private room in the hospital. Private health insurance does not cover all of the cost. If you want to do this, get a quote from a hospital and doctor and compare with what your PHI covers. You might have to pay approx €2K extra.

In the public hospitals, the labour ward is the same and the midwives are the same, regardless of the type of patient you are. The care is good, but it can get very busy, and if you are unlucky and it is very busy, you aren;t guaranteed the level of care that you should get all the time.

If you want to go to Mount Carmel, check how much it costs and how much extra you will have to pay over your HI.
    I have never attended Mount Carmel but know many people who have. The medical care is good, but the main reason for going there is comfort and lack of overcrowding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Seb77

huskerdu wrote: »
    Congratulations and I hope all goes well for you.

Here is the situation about public vs private maternity care, focussing on Dublin hospitals.

THere are 3 public maternity hospitals ( Holles St, Coombe, Rotunda( and one private hospital ( Mount Carmel).

You can choose to attend the public hospitals as a public patient, a semi-private patient, or a private patient.

As a public patient, your appointments in the hospital public clinic, you will be seen by a number of different mid-wives and doctors. The care is good, but you might have long queues at your appointments and you see a different person each time. You can see your GP for some visits, for free, under the combined care program, which your GP will explain to you. You will have a bed in a public ward in the hospital.
    At the birth, you will be attended by the midwives and the doctor on duty.

As a semi-private patient, you visit the semi-private clinic for ante-natal appointments, and you are under the care of a team of doctors. You can plan your appointments to make sure that you see the same doctor every time, but you are not guaranteed that. At the birth, one of the doctors will attend, but is may not be the doctor you have seen.
    You can have a bed in a semi-private room. Private Health insurance covers all ( or most) of the cost of semi-private care.

As a private patient, you see a doctor as a private patient for all appointments They will deliver your baby ( unless it is the middle of the night, and they might just give instructions over the phone) and you can have a private room in the hospital. Private health insurance does not cover all of the cost. If you want to do this, get a quote from a hospital and doctor and compare with what your PHI covers. You might have to pay approx €2K extra.

In the public hospitals, the labour ward is the same and the midwives are the same, regardless of the type of patient you are. The care is good, but it can get very busy, and if you are unlucky and it is very busy, you aren;t guaranteed the level of care that you should get all the time.

If you want to go to Mount Carmel, check how much it costs and how much extra you will have to pay over your HI.
    I have never attended Mount Carmel but know many people who have. The medical care is good, but the main reason for going there is comfort and lack of overcrowding.

Thanks a lot for the reply, it's a great help. I had no clue what is the difference and you clarified most of it for me. It's amazing
    how easy is to find the information you need on this site. Thanks a million

Advertisement