Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Academia...

Options
  • 06-03-2013 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Not sure if this is the right forum for such a query but it is PG related...

I'm in final year of my Ph.D. in English Lit. So far it's been smooth enough sailing - some supervisor issues, a difficult differentiation process at the end of first year - but I think I'm reaching a good standard in my work and am in the throes of writing up everything now. I've been fully funded and aim to submit on time in October this year.

I have enjoyed the Ph.D. experience and love being able to work around my own hours, love long days alone in the library (most of the time) and after working in an admin job for 3 years between my MA and stating my Ph.D., my self respect and self confidence has really evolved.

I find my mind getting unnecessarily distracted with thoughts about "the future." So much so that it sometimes distracts from my writing up process. My main worry is, as much as I really love being in this intellectual world, I don't know if I can handle the individual stresses of the post-doc world. If I were to keep going after the Ph.D., I'd apply for a post-doc and have a good idea for one. I think my thesis could be worthy of publication with a few tweaks... It's not that I'm not "fit" for it - I just don't know if I can take the short term element that comes with an academic career. Filling out endless applications, the rejections (which I take extremely personally).. Even if I was successful, a post-doc really just offers 2-3 years of job security, with a high pressure to publish or perish eating away at my mind the whole time. Then, if I completed a post-doc successfully, again there's a limbo period where I try to find work again, maybe having to go off alone to be a lecturer who knows where.

All of this is best-case scenario stuff, and I conversely have the huge fear of having to go back to waitressing or entry-level admin like I was doing before I started the Ph.D. I've been applying to various graduate recruitment programmes, and something like the IBEC EOP scheme appeals to me because it would be an interesting job, good pay (regularly paid as well - as opposed to my once every four months bursary, which is extremely difficult to budget) I could travel, but with a group of co-workers, I'd be working for an organisation and at 5pm or on weekends, I could read for pleasure or just relax and not have my mind eating away at myself that I should be working/publishing/reviewing.

My question is: I'll be 28 when I've finished the Ph.D. If I got onto a graduate recruitment scheme and left academia for a few years, is it possible that I could get back into academia later in life? How would it look on my c.v. if there was a 3-5 year gap? I would try and publish my Ph.D. and out of interest, would like to write more on my research topic but I just don't know if at this age, I can face the rest of my life within the confines of academia.

Has anyone on here got suggestions of alternative Ph.D. career paths? Or any advice in general? Maybe I'm just tired because it's final year and the pressure is on, but I really do long for a good job within the "world" again. I suppose I just want to know my options if I wanted to go back to academia later in life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Doing a PhD in US history myself and know how you feel. I don't have any answers unfortunately but when people say you should do what you enjoy and what makes you happy then do that. My PhD doesn't really make me happy anymore. Funny in that my MA did, I loved it despte some frustrations. The PhD however hasn't been as nice. I often feel as if I need more support from my supervisors and a direction...I always feel directionless.

It is a fact now that about 80% of PhD grads will not go into academic jobs so don't be afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

There is a lot of helpful info on these sites: http://howtoleaveacademia.com/ and http://versatilephd.com/.

There are a lot of ways to use your PhD to benefit society/ your personal life, without staying in the confines of academia. There is a whole world out there! I was in the same position as you. I would recommend taking a year out when you finish, get a job or a living wherever you can (don't worry about it being entry level or whatever for now), or go travelling. Just take some time out and try to figure out what role you would be happiest in, forgetting all the 'what is expected of you' stuff. I found that this worked really well for me, and I'm now in a position which uses my PhD, in a non-academic way, but in a role that I love and which pays me a wage. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 phdgirl

holding wrote: »
    There is a lot of helpful info on these sites: http://howtoleaveacademia.com/ and http://versatilephd.com/.

There are a lot of ways to use your PhD to benefit society/ your personal life, without staying in the confines of academia. There is a whole world out there! I was in the same position as you. I would recommend taking a year out when you finish, get a job or a living wherever you can (don't worry about it being entry level or whatever for now), or go travelling. Just take some time out and try to figure out what role you would be happiest in, forgetting all the 'what is expected of you' stuff. I found that this worked really well for me, and I'm now in a position which uses my PhD, in a non-academic way, but in a role that I love and which pays me a wage. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the reply! I do want to be out in the world, I think. The erratic nature of academic wages is such a huge turn-off for me, I don't think I can stand it anymore!

I suppose I just worry that if I took a year out, my c.v. wouldn't be as good as other candidates fresh out of the Ph.D., in terms of publications etc. I have 3 years admin experience so would hope to find some kind of entry level work while I try to figure things out. Unfortunately travelling isn't something feasible because I wouldn't have the savings!

I suppose I just wonder what other avenues will be open, but won't really know until I'm doing exhaustive job searches at the time. Been looking at consultancy firms like McKinsey - would love to get involved with a company like that and would be prepared to work from bottom up.

I suppose it's just the feeling that I'd be a "failure" if I left academia, not quite sure what other options there are coupled with the worry that I might actually want to get back in to academics in later life and would regret the gaps in the c.v.!

Can I ask you about your position? What are you doing and how did you get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Leaving academia doesn't mean that you have to leave your subject, stop going to conferences that interest you, or stop thinking and reading ;) Don't forget that!

It can be more rewarding personally, to bring your skills/ knowledge/ subject to an audience that is not an academic one. This could be a corporate, community, or other type of audience, but it really forces you to rethink your subject, and how relevant it is outside of just being part of academic knowledge.

Will PM you re myself personally :)

Advertisement