Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greene's Deli Closed?

• 06-03-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea about Greene's being closed?
    Apparently the whole thing is closed up with signs saying closed for reconstruction, but their facebook page has been deleted as well.
    If it really is gone, this place will be a huge loss!
    I love that place!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Hmmm It would be missed alright! I loved the Crepes in there. Especially the "Popeye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I thought they were doing great business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

That's the shock! There was always people in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

In Maynooth?

No idea, but tbh, way over priced for an average meal in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

It's always full when I'm in there or drive past, would be very surprised if it's gone for good. Any updates on this? I'll be down in the village later meeting a friend so will take a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

Yeah closed when I was around the town today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭SQ2

Wow, it is actaully closed, not for renovation either! Damn! Was only in there a few weeks back and it was dead quiet. I don't think were served by the same waiter all evening! Stark contrast to Avenue by the look of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,286 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The deli or the restaurant or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Both...restaurant and Deli....in receivership, I believe!!!

Surprised at that. Always seemed busy, the restaurant at least. Huge amount of competition in the town though.

Also notice the local tradition of claiming its being closed for a rebuild/repair has been kept up - can remember at least two previous cases of a restaurant saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

Wow ,are you sure about this?It was probably my favourite restaurant in Maynooth ...(and yes the competition is hot)

I overheard someone who was going into it yesterday saying there has been a change in ownership. There was a couple looking in the window and he started talking to them, so naturally I listened in! I'm hoping they keep the chef, I love their food!

I heard someone else signed a new lease for the deli part anyways. Wont be under the Greenes name.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kevint

Anyone have any idea what kind of restaurant is planning to open up in the former Mamma Mia premise?
    Notice in the window re staff for a Bistro but that could mean anything really....

It's going to be a Mediterranean Bistro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

Sad to see / report that Greenes shut at 630/7pm this (Friday) evening when arrived with kids ...A car was actually parked in outdoor area where I enjoyed numerous 'al fresco' feasts ... :-( The future owner really wouldnt want to mess with a tried and tested formula -other than maybe dropping prices a bit !

SQ2 wrote: »

Another one?

Was in "La Maison" Donatellos during the week, it appears to still be about 90% Italian on the menu.

Can only improve on what was there before and thankfully they have already changed those hideous colours on the street front!
    Was hoping for an Indian restaurant as Maynooth could do with some more ethnic dining variety.

kevint wrote: »
    Can only improve on what was there before and thankfully they have already changed those hideous colours on the street front!
    Was hoping for an Indian restaurant as Maynooth could do with some more ethnic dining variety.

Pretty sure it's not. Where did you hear this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

A Mediterranean Bistro? Sounds interesting. Does anyone know what happened with Greene's? I thought it was doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Went into receivership.

kellief wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's not. Where did you hear this?

The owner. Unless he was pulling my leg, or has changed his mind about what sort of bistro he's having...

The owner. Unless he was pulling my leg, or has changed his mind about what sort of bistro he's having...

I heard something completely different, fair enough.

kellief wrote: »

I heard something completely different, fair enough.

What did you hear?

What did you hear?

Just that it was a cafe, not a Mediterranean bistro!

Just saw them putting up a "Bistro 53" sign and awning this morning. Shopfront looks very good despite having Supermacs next door. Well at least now we know its going to be a bistro of some sort!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Councillor

Yes. It looks very nice. Appropriate colouring and the awning looks good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

They have a FaceBook page, I see....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bistro-53/111450885707589

also 'Bistro 53' looks like a franchise of some sort... there seems to be a number of them in the UK... although when I checkd one it said 'Fifty 3' as opposed to the '53' shown on the FB page.

Is that not possibly number 53 Main Street? The building numbers are extremely rarely used though. The book shop is apparently 68 and the numbers count from 1 at the Avenue and wrap around at the Garda station end, no even/odd swap so 53 is very possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement