Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DLNA Receiver

• 06-03-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I have a WD TV Live Hub - a great little device with 1TB of storage. I watch media on it in one room and stream media to my xbox 360.

I want to be able to view the media in the bedroom also. It uses DLNA/UPnP to stream the content.

Im not entirely sure what I am looking for to receive the content. I dont want another xbox 360 or anything big. I want something small and cheap that I plugin to my bedroom tv and wirelessly receive media.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

1. Raspberry Pi
    2. SD Card (class 10)
    3. Openelec XBMC installed on the SD Card-really simple.
    4. Wifi adapter for Raspberry Pi (but I really would try and go wired)
    5. HDMI cable to connect the Raspberry pi to the bedroom TV
    6. 5v 2amp plug in charger to power the Pi or if your TV has a free USB port then you could use that instead.
    7. If your TV supports CEC then you can use your existing TV remote to control XBMC/Raspberry pi.

The above setup will give you a XBMC media center install on your bedroom tv.
    You will then be able to browse any files on your home network and play.
    Plus if you can get the Raspberry pi onto the Internet aswell then you will also be able yo use the clatter of cool add ons that XBMC offers.

All the above could be achieved got under €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Leiva wrote: »
    1. Raspberry Pi
    2. SD Card (class 10)
    6. 5v 2amp plug in charger to power the Pi or if your TV has a free USB port then you could use that instead.
    7. If your TV supports CEC then you can use your existing TV remote to control XBMC/Raspberry pi.

Plus if you can get the Raspberry pi onto the Internet aswell then you will also be able yo use the clatter of cool add ons that XBMC offers.

Excellent.
    Have been playing with openelec and vu plus on a enigma receiver for live tv but it just wasn't stable enought. Might give the rasbery pi a go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

How about the WDTV Live Streamer, without the Hub ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Yes, the WDTV Live Streamer is probably the best thing to get, but its quite pricey. Maybe a second hand one will suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

There are also dvd players available now which have wired/wireless, DLNA and also have an inbuilt internet browser. You could use a wireless keyboard and surf the web, check email etc all from the comfort of your bed. Your tv essentially turns into a computer monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 gonesolo

Leiva wrote: »
    1. Raspberry Pi
    2. SD Card (class 10)

Sorry to hijack this thread for a sec would a Raspberry Pi work with Mythbuntu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

gonesolo wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread for a sec would a Raspberry Pi work with Mythbuntu?

Never used it but..Does this help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk9Sa51xNNg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gonesolo

Thanks. Doesn't specifically state it will work but XBMC will work which is a nice front end also. Think I'm going to pick up a Pi to test and see how I get on.

Advertisement