Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus V Celtic Match Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Cienciano wrote: »

Both teams don't deserve it? :confused:
    I want to see Juve get another 2 at least, keep scoring against a weak opposition

Yeah... What's what with saying that Juve don't deserve to score more and Celtic don't deserve to concede more? Celtic haven't been bad over both legs. Certainly not 5-0. Celtic could of had a couple of goals too and individual errors have cost them. Obviously Juventus have been the better side but the result flatters them somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

donfers wrote: »
    how far your team has fallen when you the only thing that can connect you to this tie, the only thing you can celebrate is having a visiting team play on your training-ground :p

as for celtic, actually have played well over the two legs and the scoreline certainly flatters juve, but clinical finishing and cynical defending has served them well, still they're well behind the german sides and haven't impressed me that much

Hardly constitutes a "celebration" now does it?

If anything, i enjoyed the fact that you lot got so annoyed about it more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

snowblind wrote: »
    Not as bad as "Giaccharelli" though...

Hey, it's football, not an exam in pronunciation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »

If anything, i enjoyed the fact that you lot got so annoyed about it more than anything else.

Typical Sevconian. Can't wait to play you lot for the first time when you get to the SPL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Have you no rivals from division 3 to watch tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Eirebear has caught a few big ones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah... What's what with saying that Juve don't deserve to score more and Celtic don't deserve to concede more? Celtic haven't been bad over both legs. Certainly not 5-0. Celtic could of had a couple of goals too and individual errors have cost them. Obviously Juventus have been the better side but the result flatters them somewhat.

Well, dont really care if celtic don't deserve it, I'd love to see juve score a few more after all the celtic whinging after the first leg.
    Doesn't look like it though, it has the intensity of a light training session now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

as for celtic, actually have played well over the two legs and the scoreline certainly flatters juve, but clinical finishing and cynical defending has served them well, still they're well behind the german sides and haven't impressed me that much

This is how Juve play though so it's really difficult (and frustrating) to try to gauge what level they're actually at. Teams in the Serie A look like they're playing well against Juve and then before you know it they've lost games. Juve absorb teams so well it's rather scary. I'd love to have seen an in form Juve versus an in form Barca game.

The neutral's nightmare would be a Juve Real quarter final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

These two matches have been the highlight of Rangers season.

Don't flatter Celtic that much ;)

They've been entertaining, that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Have you no rivals from division 3 to watch tonight?
    Not mid week they don't, their rivals can't get time off their real jobs to have a game

Aye. Of course,

In fairness, when Rangers played Juve in the CL back in the 90's when Rangers were winning league after league, there were a good few Celtic fans in with the Juve fans celebrating the goals.
    Enjoying your rivals getting hammered is part of football.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Eirebear has caught a few big ones :D

It was only a matter of time really, they can give it large, but take it back? Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

In fairness, when Rangers played Juve in the CL back in the 90's when Rangers were winning league after league, there were a good few Celtic fans in with the Juve fans celebrating the goals.

Especially when a team is in the third division and have little to cheer about.

1EDE0931-0986-45C3-AD36-75575E3CD5EE-4543-00000341C36F3842.jpg

They really shouldn't provide computers in correctional facilities.

As for the comments from the Celtic fans: I guess it's to be expected that they focus their attention else where.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It was only a matter of time really, they can give it large, but take it back? Not a chance.

You've really turned into a bitter little man since your old club died. You'd never have clogged up a match thread like this in the old Rangers days. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Surely you have to play against someone at least once for them to be a rival?? What exactly are you rivaling us in??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know which is sadder, that you posted that or that you actually follow that fool!

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    You've really turned into a bitter little man since your old club died. You'd never have clogged up a match thread like this in the old Rangers days. ;)

The irony, it burns.

The irony, it burns.

Jog off to FF or whatever Sevco forum you use, you might find some more twats with Twitter to post screenshots off.

Sad, really sad.

I had respect for certain posters back then, majoritively however, their own behaviour tends to warrant nothing but disdain nowadays.

I had respect for certain posters back then, majoritively however, their own behaviour tends to warrant nothing but disdain nowadays.

Well the like of Jelle I'd not expect anything else. You have surprised me though I must admit.

Jog off to FF or whatever Sevco forum you use, you might find some more twats with Twitter to post screenshots off.

Sad, really sad.

Yep.

Surely you have to play against someone at least once for them to be a rival?? What exactly are you rivaling us in??

I'm talking about Rangers fans enjoying celtics defeat in the 2 legs against Juve

• Advertisement

all in all though, it has to be said a magnificent campaign from celtic, with their budget and resources to get out of the group was amazing, on top of that they look comfortable at this level and didn't look outclassed on any one game - a great effort from staff and players, punching way above their weight

Sad, really sad.

You're a ****ing hypocrite.

Absolutely loving it to come into the Rangers thread to laugh at Rangers when we lose or whatever, when it's your club that is being joked about you lose the plot.

Deal with it.

Absolutely loving it to come into the Rangers thread to laugh at Rangers when we lose or whatever, when it's your club that is being joked about you lose the plot.

Deal with it.

caught a whopper here bhoys :D

caught a whopper here bhoys :D

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Unless you think Paulo wasn't being serious, but I doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A sad end to a great run in the tournament by Celtic. At least they will have the memories from the Barcelona games to cherish for years to come.

• Advertisement

Deal with it.

I'm not losing the plot at all. You're irrelevant to me aside from posting Twitter screenshots in a match thread. It really makes you look quite pathetic (not that that takes much tbh).

Eirebear is better than his posts on here tonight though.

Well the like of Jelle I'd not expect anything else. You have surprised me though I must admit.

A wee bit of match thread banter gets this reaction out of you, and we're the bitter ones?
    Always the same around here.

I'm not losing the plot at all. You're irrelevant to me aside from posting Twitter screenshots in a match thread. It really makes you look quite pathetic (not that that takes much tbh).

Eirebear is better than his posts on here tonight though.

See, the problem with that claim is that your posts beg to differ.

But I'll remember it next time you come gloating in the Rangers thread.

The fact that Eirebear acted like he did maybe tells you something.

A wee bit of match thread banter gets this reaction out of you, and we're the bitter ones?
    Always the same around here.

Meh, I give up. Sweep it under the carpet with the old "banter" bit. I don't find it offensive or anything, and feel free to keep doing it. Just didn't think the Jelle level was like you, not really your style. I know you know what I mean.

I've no problem with Rangers fans enjoying tonight its part and parcel of following football & hopefully now we'll see an end to us being called obsessed everytime we mention them.

Meh, I give up. Sweep it under the carpet with the old "banter" bit. I don't find it offensive or anything, and feel free to keep doing it. Just didn't think the Jelle level was like you, not really your style. I know you know what I mean.

Paul, we had this discussion over a year ago. Nothing's changed since, you know what I mean.

RoryMac wrote: »
    I've no problem with Rangers fans enjoying tonight its part and parcel of following football & hopefully now we'll see an end to us being called obsessed everytime we mention them.

Don't count on it ;)

For what it's worth, Celtic did well to get this far.

Don't count on it ;)

For what it's worth, Celtic did well to get this far.

Lol.

Of course they did, the last 16 for any team in Celtic's situation is a massive deal and if they can learn from the last two matches and build on this season then it's a huge step forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm talking about Rangers fans enjoying celtics defeat in the 2 legs against Juve

You said "Enjoying your rivals getting hammered is part of football", Celtic have never played Sevco, aren't in the same league as Sevco and have no chance of meeting in the cup this season, how exactly are you rivalling us???

Paul, we had this discussion over a year ago. Nothing's changed since, you know what I mean.

Oh yeah, the "no more mister nice guy" bit? My bad. ;)

Fire ahead then. :p

• Advertisement

A celtic match thread has more talk of Rangers than Juventus. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

I'm sure Celtic's young players will have learned massive amounts from the last two games and it will only benefit them. After the first leg tonight was simply a formality but the players had to be professional. I imagine Lennon will have learned plenty as well, yet how he still sees Commons as an asset is beyond me, greedy and lazy are a bad combination.

I've also learned more on how many Celtic fans come out the woodwork in big games like this.

Sevco don't exist by the way, but glad to see we're still the first port of call to talk about when things go against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

all in all though, it has to be said a magnificent campaign from celtic, with their budget and resources to get out of the group was amazing, on top of that they look comfortable at this level and didn't look outclassed on any one game - a great effort from staff and players, punching way above their weight
    eagle eye wrote: »
    A sad end to a great run in the tournament by Celtic. At least they will have the memories from the Barcelona games to cherish for years to come.

^Sums it up well for me.
    The 3-0 obviously has killed us and rendered tonight a formality. I was still happy enough with the performance, we looked decent on the ball. The problem is we will never have the class of a top European team, we simply cannot trade punches with the likes of Juve while we operate in the SPL, the simple reason for that is resources.
    Still our goal is there now, to reach the Group Stages every season - we've got 3 qualifying rounds next season which is crazy when you consider we will be champions.
    Fans were also great tonight, could hear them all throughout the 2nd half despite being hammered on aggregate and the rain coming down.

why do celtic have to play an extrea qualifying round next year after doing so well to qualify for the last 16?

also lennon sounding very resigned in the post-match interview, saying some players may want to progress their careers elsewhere

maybe hooper and wanyama off then

maybe johnny russell in and rogic to step up too

on top of the CL money and the transfer money incoming (maybe 20 million plus) i'd expect 3 or 4 quality additions and the hopefully the scouts will carry on their good work and unearth some gems

ColeTrain wrote: »

^Sums it up well for me.
    The 3-0 obviously has killed us and rendered tonight a formality. I was still happy enough with the performance, we looked decent on the ball. The problem is we will never have the class of a top European team, we simply cannot trade punches with the likes of Juve while we operate in the SPL, the simple reason for that is resources.
    Still our goal is there now, to reach the Group Stages every season - we've got 3 qualifying rounds next season which is crazy when you consider we will be champions.
    Fans were also great tonight, could hear them all throughout the 2nd half despite being hammered on aggregate and the rain coming down.

Are Celtic the only Scots representative in the CL next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

why do celtic have to play an extrea qualifying round next year after doing so well to qualify for the last 16?

also lennon sounding very resigned in the post-match interview, saying some players may want to progress their careers elsewhere

maybe hooper and wanyama off then

maybe johnny russell in and rogic to step up too

on top of the CL money and the transfer money incoming (maybe 20 million plus) i'd expect 3 or 4 quality additions and the hopefully the scouts will carry on their good work and unearth some gems

Because the coefficient is based on previous years, and unfortunately recent years haven't been so great for Scottish sides and the 'smaller' European leagues like Romania etc are performing much better.

Tony Watt won't be forgetting this season in the CL, that's for sure!

Was hard to watch today when you already know the tie is pretty much gone, and when you're playing a side like Juve. They let us play around them tbh, when you see the possession stats like that away from home you know they could step it up if they needed to.

Lack of cutting edge up front for the CL. Getting the groups was fantastic when we got through the qualifiers, coming out of that group was amazing really. Hopefully we can maintain a presence there for the next few seasons, it's worth so much money to a Scottish side.

Hope Vic and Matthews are not badly injured.

I've no problem with Wanyama & Hooper leaving, to be honest I'm not a massive fan of Hooper and think we could find a better player within our budget.

Can't see us being in the market for any real quality players, surprised if we spent more than £4-£5m on one player.

If we can continue to find guys like Wanyama, Kayal etc we'll do ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Are Celtic the only Scots representative in the CL next year?

Yeah I think so, not 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Thought Celtic did very well over the 2 games.

Surprised me.

Just a short of that real bit of quality in the final third.

Don't agree with all this "totally outclassed" stuff at all. Celtic competed well over both legs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement