Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus V Celtic Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

silly mistakes and a bit of naivety from the manager cost Celtic a chance of going through. The gung ho attitude in the first leg at 0-1 led to the lads tiring and conceding 2 to kill the tie. Never gonna get a result in Turin despite what Lennon said beforehand.

Decent campaign and a learning experience for the manager and a lot of the younger players. May stand them in good stead next year if they can make it into the groups.

Regarding the banter in here, its to be expected. Dont see why a lot of Celtic fans are getting so upset. You give it out, you gotta take it. In fairness, losing to one of the best teams in Europe is nowhere near embaressing as losing your club and having your new club demoted to the 3rd Division.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

donfers wrote: »
    why do celtic have to play an extrea qualifying round next year after doing so well to qualify for the last 16?

also lennon sounding very resigned in the post-match interview, saying some players may want to progress their careers elsewhere

maybe hooper and wanyama off then

maybe johnny russell in and rogic to step up too

on top of the CL money and the transfer money incoming (maybe 20 million plus) i'd expect 3 or 4 quality additions and the hopefully the scouts will carry on their good work and unearth some gems

Hooper and Vic will definitely be off in the summer, no doubt about it.

Vic and Forster are our best players. I've never been totally convinced about Hooper though, he's been great in the SPL, but I think Stokes works harder off the ball and would equal his tally in the SPL when fit. I'll not be gutted to lose Hooper in the summer like I will be with Wanyama.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

stooge wrote: »
    silly mistakes and a bit of naivety from the manager cost Celtic a chance of going through. The gung ho attitude in the first leg at 0-1 led to the lads tiring and conceding 2 to kill the tie. Never gonna get a result in Turin despite what Lennon said beforehand.

Decent campaign and a learning experience for the manager and a lot of the younger players. May stand them in good stead next year if they can make it into the groups.

Regarding the banter in here, its to be expected. Dont see why a lot of Celtic fans are getting so upset. You give it out, you gotta take it. In fairness, losing to one of the best teams in Europe is nowhere near embaressing as losing your club and having your new club demoted to the 3rd Division.
    Some people need to realise we never lost our club it still exists as was once again confirmed in Lord Nimmo's findings last week. It's crap like that that really shows people up that and the Sevco nonsense there is no company associated with Rangers called Sevco

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Some people need to realise we never lost our club it still exists as was once again confirmed in Lord Nimmo's findings last week. It's crap like that that really shows people up that and the Sevco nonsense there is no company associated with Rangers called Sevco

:D Jaysus BBE, that conversation was sooooooo like 30 mins ago. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

donfers wrote: »
    why do celtic have to play an extrea qualifying round next year after doing so well to qualify for the last 16?

also lennon sounding very resigned in the post-match interview, saying some players may want to progress their careers elsewhere

maybe hooper and wanyama off then

maybe johnny russell in and rogic to step up too

on top of the CL money and the transfer money incoming (maybe 20 million plus) i'd expect 3 or 4 quality additions and the hopefully the scouts will carry on their good work and unearth some gems

Hooper has not been at his best since January, maybe all the speculation about moving to the EPL affected his form. Stokes has been in good form, he could and maybe should have played tonight. We wont get much for Gary Hooper because he's only got a year left on his contract, 3 million maybe? We could get 10 million plus for Wanyama.

So long as we make it to the Group stage year in year out, we'll eventually be able to hold on to star players a bit longer and build a settled side. Those qualifiers for next seasons CL will already become a priority for Celtic's planning now. Lenny has said he may rest some players towards the end of the season, so that they are fresh for the qualifiers. It would be nice to win the Cup and get a domestic double, but qualifying for the CL Group Stage is the priority at Celtic, it's the only way to access decent revenue streams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rest players toward the end of the season for qualifiers that dont begin until the season is over and the players are off anyway?

PauloMN wrote: »

:D Jaysus BBE, that conversation was sooooooo like 30 mins ago. ;)
    Yeah but I was busy then Paul ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Have to plead ignorance here. Didn't pay much attention to what has gone on, only that the club went tits up, a new club appeared in the 3rd division and some players transferred their contracts to the new club/company/whatever it is. Other players decided not to and left.

On topic, given the last two matches Im not sure Juve are good enough to win it overall, Real/Dortmund would have to be the favourites at this stage. Would be some achievement for Mourinho if he won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It was a stroll in the park in the end. Juve didn't get out of third gear today. Celtic only had more possession because Juve were letting them having it. Apart from one deflected shot, they didn't threaten to score at all.

I think Juve have a chance of going all the way this season.

kryogen wrote: »
    Rest players toward the end of the season for qualifiers that dont begin until the season is over and the players are off anyway?

Yes. There has been talk that some key players might be sent on holiday earlier before the season actually ends, because they'll have to come back so soon with the extra qualifier this season. Getting to the CL Group stage is vital and completely overshadows the importance of winning the Scottish Cup for example. The league will be in the bag fairly soon and there are fringe players to bring in that might be good enough to win the Cup anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It was a stroll in the park in the end. Juve didn't get out of third gear today. Celtic only had more possession because Juve were letting them having it. Apart from one deflected shot, they didn't threaten to score at all.

Didn't think it would be so easy tbh.
    Fair play to Conte, he did his homework against what could have been a tricky tie. I said when the draw was made that I was worried that Juve would go in overconfident, thinking they just had to turn up. Conte had them well drilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

got to laugh at zombie FC followers talking about playing in the Champions League in 2016, your new tribute act team has lost £6m in its first 6 months whilst playing in the Scottish 3rd division, at this rate they will be dead and buried by 2014!!

Once that early goal went in in the 1st leg, Celtic were facing an even bigger uphill battle. Celtic were the team that needed to go a goal up first.

Juventus could be potential winners because they are defensively strong and look to have a well drilled settled team. However I don't think they'll win it, Bayern Munich - despite having a cat goalkeeper - Borrusia Dortmund and particularly Real Madrid looked to be stronger. Real Madrid must be strong favourites now, Mourinho will want to win the CL this season with them.

601442_10151506418905081_1468960590_n.jpg

stooge wrote: »

Have to plead ignorance here. Didn't pay much attention to what has gone on, only that the club went tits up, a new club appeared in the 3rd division and some players transferred their contracts to the new club/company/whatever it is. Other players decided not to and left.

On topic, given the last two matches Im not sure Juve are good enough to win it overall, Real/Dortmund would have to be the favourites at this stage. Would be some achievement for Mourinho if he won it.
    I appreciate some people quite naturally don't realise that the club is not new merely the holding company. The holding company purchased the assets of the old holding company before the liquidation process started. Yes we have ended up in division three but those are the facts.

Back on topic as much as I detest Celtic I can say without any doubt they have done extremely well if you take into consideration the money side of things an the standard of league they have excelled. I of course like most other bears will slag them off but I can't take their achievement away from them. The major downside for me is NL who I see as a greeting faced we chunt :)

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    got to laugh at zombie FC followers talking about playing in the Champions League in 2016, your new tribute act team has lost £6m in its first 6 months whilst playing in the Scottish 3rd division, at this rate they will be dead and buried by 2014!!
    Oranbhoy mate its no wonder Rangers fans have a go when this Zombie crap starts as for the loss it was expected considering we have less match day income also our merchandising took a hit we kept all our non playing staff on do nobody lost their jobs. The club had also paid off it's football. Debts and bought Edminston house and the main car park. These plus other costs leave the club with an interim loss I notice you also happen to leave out that the club had 21m sitting in the back. I reckon you know we have not gone away and are on our way back ;)

But this the Juve v Tic match thread so why don't you get back to talking about that as much as we fascinate you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

601442_10151506418905081_1468960590_n.jpg
    That is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I thought Samaras done really well, Hooper was out of sorts (has been for a few weeks), Izaguirre is suspect for too many goals conceded in my view. Lennon looked dapper in his suit out in the rain with his black snood :pac:

I thought Samaras done really well, Hooper was out of sorts (has been for a few weeks), Izaguirre is suspect for too many goals conceded in my view. Lennon looked dapper in his suit out in the rain with his black snood :pac:
    The few times I have watched Celtic this season I noticed Izaguirre looked out of sorts I noticed when he came back from the leg break thing he was very tentative. But I am surprised as I really rated him and thought he would be an out standing player for you

Oranbhoy mate its no wonder Rangers fans have a go when this Zombie crap starts as for the loss it was expected considering we have less match day income also our merchandising took a hit we kept all our non playing staff on do nobody lost their jobs. The club had also paid off it's football. Debts and bought Edminston house and the main car park. These plus other costs leave the club with an interim loss I notice you also happen to leave out that the club had 21m sitting in the back. I reckon you know we have not gone away and are on our way back ;)

But this the Juve v Tic match thread so why don't you get back to talking about that as much as we fascinate you

hey im only replying to sevco fans who decided to come on here & gloat!

• Advertisement

Izzaguire hasnt been the same player at all since he was injured, Kayal also hasnt impressed me much since his first superb season & Hooper always goes a few games where he looks uninterested but this is the longest spell i can remember,

all in all tonight was expected im proud of the bhoys performance in Europe this year i was chuffed to get into the group stages in the first place never mind qualify!

was a pity to get beat so heavilly on aggregate in the end but we can still be proud of our team this season .

they did Scottish football & the Irish diaspora worldwide who support them proud tonight, just a pity there seems to be a new generation of Irishmen online on these types of forums who seem to find enjoyment in knocking the traditions of our club but hey ho thats there loss HH bhoys we will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Proud of the Bhoys and the great journey, we have a young team and they will learn from this and more of the same next season hopefully.

Have to laugh at supporters of our former (now deceased) rivals gloating, whatever makes you feel relevant guys.

Proud of the Bhoys and the great journey, we have a young team and they will learn from this and more of the same next season hopefully.

Have to laugh at supporters of our former (now deceased) rivals gloating, whatever makes you feel relevant guys.
    You and certain others find it amusing to come into outlet thread and gloat obviously you don't see the irony in what you are saying. I must also point out that either through ignorance or laziness you seem not ultimate understand that we are the same club your own CEO I think that is what he is has recognised that as has your major shareholder Mr Desmond. The SPL recognise it as they are not by the looks of it appealing the fact that we are keeping our titles. Now no matter how many times you spout this uninformed drivel it won't change things when a clubs holding company is bought over before liquidation everything goes with it. The same thing happens in the business world day in day out. What happens then is the old holding company is dissolved essentially liquidated.
    With that I will wish you good night and God bless

You and certain others find it amusing to come into outlet thread and gloat obviously you don't see the irony in what you are saying. I must also point out that either through ignorance or laziness you seem not ultimate understand that we are the same club your own CEO I think that is what he is has recognised that as has your major shareholder Mr Desmond. The SPL recognise it as they are not by the looks of it appealing the fact that we are keeping our titles. Now no matter how many times you spout this uninformed drivel it won't change things when a clubs holding company is bought over before liquidation everything goes with it. The same thing happens in the business world day in day out. What happens then is the old holding company is dissolved essentially liquidated.
    With that I will wish you good night and God bless

if you are the same club will you be paying the recent pitiful fine from the SFA for the 10 years of financial irregularities?? or paying off all the debts owed by the previous owners even???

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Delusional, the old firm is dead, it died when Rangers were liquidated, its like an Elvis impersonator claiming to be Elvis with your lot.

Enjoy the 3rd division zombies.

Come back on the champions league thread when your club has a single trophy to its name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Cienciano wrote: »
    Didn't think it would be so easy tbh.
    Fair play to Conte, he did his homework against what could have been a tricky tie. I said when the draw was made that I was worried that Juve would go in overconfident, thinking they just had to turn up. Conte had them well drilled.

It was made easy because of the first leg. Most people would agree that 3-0 flattered Juve and on another day Celtic could have won that game. If we were to stand any chance of progression then the least we needed was a draw at Celtic Park.
    All in all Juve were clinical and deserved it but you can't deny it was closer than the 5-0 score suggests. It doesn't matter though because the best team went through. Best of luck in the next round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The next poster to call either Rangers or Celtic a childish name is getting banned for at least a week. Cut it out.

Delusional, the old firm is dead, it died when Rangers were liquidated, its like an Elvis impersonator claiming to be Elvis with your lot.

Enjoy the 3rd division zombies.

Come back on the champions league thread when your club has a single trophy to its name.
    When a business is bought over before it is liquidated it doesn't die I really suggest you read up on it

When a business is bought over before it is liquidated it doesn't die I really suggest you read up on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_and_liquidation_of_The_Rangers_Football_Club_Plc the Club WAS liquidated & assets sold off to sevco - heres the details

• Advertisement

if you are the same club will you be paying the recent pitiful fine from the SFA for the 10 years of financial irregularities?? or paying off all the debts owed by the previous owners even???
    Oranbhoy we don't have to if you read the findings of the commission it is made clear that the fine was given to the old holding company that same commission also reiterates that the new holding company is a continuation of the whole entity. Morally we maybe should legally there is no obligation to do so it happens in business day in day out.
    And as I have said the the new holding company has paid the footballing debts due the RFFF actually paid off some of the debts to the smaller creditors.
    Things have happened that can't be changed also if you add in the fact the SFA share was transferred to make sure we played on the SFL div3 it was not a new share
    Anyway if you are not willing to read up on these things or choose not to believe them that is your problem it's been discussed over and over so I have said my last words on it.
    Enjoy thinking you are right it won't be long before you are shown to be wrong

thats the problems with the rangers fans , they want to cherry pick , they want the history & trophies of the old club but refuse to take on the unpaid tax , other debts ,& fines for cheating which the oldco owe, in short you want to have your cake and eat it!!

Round and round we go, how we're discussing Rangers in a Champions league last 16 thread I don't know.

thats the problems with the rangers fans , they want to cherry pick , they want the history & trophies of the old club but refuse to take on the unpaid tax , other debts ,& fines for cheating which the oldco owe, in short you want to have your cake and eat it!!
    The unpaid tax is mainly the tax that Craig Whyte did not pay that is under investigation HMRC have already made that clear and that it has nothing to do with the club. As for the history etc that was all bought legitimately before the old holding company went into liquidation and under the law as it stands the new holding company is not responsible for them. It's not pleasant but its a fact of life it happens in business day after day. We were not fined for cheating I suggest you read the findings of the commission

The unpaid tax is mainly the tax that Craig Whyte did not pay that is under investigation HMRC have already made that clear and that it has nothing to do with the club. As for the history etc that was all bought legitimately before the old holding company went into liquidation and under the law as it stands the new holding company is not responsible for them. It's not pleasant but its a fact of life it happens in business day after day. We were not fined for cheating I suggest you read the findings of the commission

you just stated a few posts ago that the club didnt enter liquidation!! anyway as stated its not for this thread , and we will never agree on this matter, good night all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It was made easy because of the first leg. Most people would agree that 3-0 flattered Juve and on another day Celtic could have won that game. If we were to stand any chance of progression then the least we needed was a draw at Celtic Park.
    All in all Juve were clinical and deserved it but you can't deny it was closer than the 5-0 score suggests. It doesn't matter though because the best team went through. Best of luck in the next round.

I'd be very surprised if most people thought that

• Advertisement

I'd be very surprised if most people thought that

Most people I've talked to thought this was the case, mostly non Celtic fans btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Most people I've talked to thought this was the case, mostly non Celtic fans btw.

Letting the ball bounce in the first two minutes was suicide. The game was over then. Nothing to do with flights or jet-lag. An insane schoolboy error. At this level, players that aren't up to the level cost Celtic. Juve were nothing more then professional over the 2 legs.

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Letting the ball bounce in the first two minutes was suicide. The game was over then. Nothing to do with flights or jet-lag. An insane schoolboy error. At this level, players that aren't up to the level cost Celtic. Juve were nothing more then professional over the 2 legs.

I agree, you can't afford to make them kind of mistakes at that level but to say the game was over after two minutes in the first leg is madness. I hope you're not a manager, no offence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Eirebear wrote: »
    Are Celtic the only Scots representative in the CL next year?

Only 1 CL spot.

The rest can fight it out over who gets to go to Kazachstan in a EL qualifier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Are they fans of British Teams?

Because fans who watch mostly Sky Sports coverage of football have blinkered and generally wrong views on nearly everything in football.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Are they fans of British Teams?

Because fans who watch mostly Sky Sports coverage of football have blinkered and generally wrong views on nearly everything in football.

Wow that is some generalisation right there :rolleyes:

Deriving media from one source when that source is horrendously biased makes it a generalisation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No, this sentence makes it a generalisation

'fans who watch mostly Sky Sports coverage of football have blinkered and generally wrong views on nearly everything in football'

Well then I retract and resubmit my statement as follows:

Anybody who derives their football media from Sky Sports is exposed to a blinkered and biased view that is not in touch with reality.

Anybody that watched Juve-Shaktar would tell you that it is a tactical thing to surrender to physical opposition with the intent of hitting precise blows.

5-0 doesn't lie, Juve were superb overall and much more deserving.

cant believe i got a warning for that willy wonka crap picture i posted, shows the extremes that the west brit EPL internet supporters go to in Ireland to bow to the zombies & to look right-on.

so after my one night posting here i think i shall bow out of the soccer forum now.. id love to say it was fun but id be lying as it seems any fun on here isnt tolertated.. toodle pips :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

cant believe i got a warning for that willy wonka crap picture i posted, shows the extremes that the west brit EPL internet supporters go to in Ireland to bow to the zombies & to look right-on.

so after my one night posting here i think i shall bow out of the soccer forum now.. id love to say it was fun but id be lying as it seems any fun on here isnt tolertated.. toodle pips :P
    You know where Glasgow is right????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I've had warnings for the same, so don't give us that 'woe unto me' bollocks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yawn.

We've all had warnings for silly things - such is the way of the forum.
    Your Diaspora rantings are the very reason why people can't be arsed with Celtic though.
    Sitting here telling people that for some reason they are being un-irish by not supporting Celtic, which you lot somehow equate with instantly being a Rangers fan?
    It's ridiculous and you know it.

As a barman back home once said to a guy giving him that nonsense.
    "The Red Sox were founded by an Irishman, would it be acceptable for me to clobber you over the head with a baseball bat every time you start this ****e?"

Before the pedants turn up, i don't know or care if the Red Sox were founded by an Irishman, but i thought the comment was pretty spot on tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Goodbye. One less (insert appropriate word here) dragging down the rep of Celtic fans.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement