Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Juventus V Celtic Match Thread

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Are they fans of British Teams?

Because fans who watch mostly Sky Sports coverage of football have blinkered and generally wrong views on nearly everything in football.

Yes, most would support English teams.
    There's more sources than Sky Sports y'know. Ever hear of a magical place called the internet?
    dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Anybody that watched Juve-Shaktar would tell you that it is a tactical thing to surrender to physical opposition with the intent of hitting precise blows.

5-0 doesn't lie, Juve were superb overall and much more deserving.

Juventus were hardly superb. Celtic had chances to score, If a goal went in at Celtic Park for example, the place would have been rocking and who knows what might have happened. Juventus gave the ball away a lot and would have been punished by a classier team.
    Celtic are no more physical than your average team in the CL. Hooper, Forrest, Commons, Izzaguire all started the first leg and are hardly big players.

Also with the persistent fouling from Juventus in the box they could have had a man sent off or conceded a penalty. They got away with it but it was a gamble they took, there's no way they got have been certain that the referee was going to let it go on. Hardly great tactical planning.

It's not sour grapes from me, it's just that it wasn't as clear cut as you're making it out to be.
    Also, I never said Juventus didn't deserve to go through, they're a class above Celtic but in my opinion 5-0 wasn't a true reflection over the two legs. No big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Certified

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Juventus were hardly superb. Celtic had chances to score, If a goal went in at Celtic Park for example, the place would have been rocking and who knows what might have happened. Juventus gave the ball away a lot and would have been punished by a classier team...

It's not sour grapes from me, it's just that it wasn't as clear cut as you're making it out to be...
    Juve were ‘superb’ over the two games against a very strong Celtic team. A lot of people seem to significantly underestimate how good Celtic actually are, which is surprising considering the way they outsmarted FC Barcelona in the group stage!

Juve beat Celtic 5-0 on agg, the score leaves no room for excuses surely?
    The primary objective for Juve in 2012/13 is to win Serie A. The Champions League is extremely important obviously but during the group stages, Juve put in some great high energy displays but paid a high price for their efforts in the following games in Serie A. Their Serie A campaign was being derailed. They needed to find a balance.

Instead of directly competing against Celtic physically on the pitch, they chose to play the tie tactically, and it worked out superbly. Anyone who watches Serie A will know that this is not Juve’s normal game plan. They usually out run teams into submission with Conte screaming at them for more sweat on the jerseys! However, last years campaign revealed that Juve have a world-class defence once again and it was great to witness it being utilised against a very good Celtic. Because of this change in approach by Conte (it must have been very difficult!), Juve found a balance between Serie A and the Champions League.

Barcelona could not defeat Celtic over the two games with all the talent, experience and possession that they had so why could Juve expect to beat them. But beat them they did, 5-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Didn't Johnny Giles say that the 5-0 was a fair reflection? I turn off after the final whistle, but my mate told me Giles said that.
    As for juve getting someone sent off in the first leg, both teams could have got people sent off and lots of decisions could have gone either way.
    The way Juve behaved in the first leg, stopping hooper block buffon just tells me that Conte is a great coach that does his homework and is well aware of dirty tactics teams might use and isn't afraid to do whats needed to stop them. Definitely Conte 1, Lennon 0 after the first leg.
    Pretty much what Conte was like as a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Anybody remember that great moment where Pirlo was fouled at Celtic and didn't give a single flip. Great stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement