Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Our thoughts at this time are with the family" & other such hollow platitudes

• 06-03-2013 2:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I see they rowed out the stock speech for Chavez this morning.
    Doesn't matter who it is, we can do nothing as we're all stunned into silence contemplating the poor wife & chislers . . . . Are we f*ck !

It's up there with "all the agencies of the state will be put to work to help these poor people who've been made redundant", nothing words meaning nothing, pure filler material.

The PR folk managed to get "end of the day" & "going forward" bet out of the politicians.
    They should knock this crap on the head aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

The one that always confuses me is when someone is killed and a neighbour goes on TV and almost always say "they were a quiet so and so, kept themselves to themselves."
    No outgoing, obnoxious Irish person has ever been killed.
    That must be why there is so many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Doesn't matter who it is, we can do nothing as we're all stunned into silence contemplating the poor wife & chislers . . . . Are we f*ck !

It's up there with "all the agencies of the state will be put to work to help these poor people who've been made redundant", nothing words meaning nothing, pure filler material.

The PR folk managed to get "end of the day" & "going forward" bet out of the politicians.

Would you prefer people said 'we don't give a f*ck'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

"You say it best when you say nothing at all"

The genius that is Ronan Keating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Heaven forbid that he didnt "play for the local GAA team"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

The "My thoughts and prayers are with the family" line is over-done on boards.ie too to the point where it's completely devoid of meaning. Just a stock phrase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I suppose its just an awkward reaction to a tragedy, what else are people supposed to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rabidlamb wrote: »

Its cyclical. People want to know what <insert politician/celebrity> thinks of <insert any newsworthy item> so the media arrive at their door demanding that they make a statement. If they say nothing, they appear insensitive or uncaring, so they come up with shallow platitudes that make them appear like a nice person so when people read it, they think better of them.

And the cycle goes on. We have only ourselves to blame. We continually complain that only lies and meaningless words come out of politicians' mouths, but then we continually demand that they make statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

But whenever someone dies, my thoughts ARE with the family. It's a sad thing. Would you rather I lied? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Its the joggers and dog walkers I feel sorry for, always finding dead people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

People have to say something, its as good as anything to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

He was a grand fella, but a bit of a cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But whenever someone dies, my thoughts ARE with the family. It's a sad thing. Would you rather I lied? :confused:

Exactly.

I always feel sorry for the family and friends of the person who died. That's my natural reaction.

That is why it is a phrase commonly used when someone dies

No matter how hard you try, no words can truly comfort someone who has just lost a loved one, so the cliches are just as good as anything. When someone close to you dies, you feel alone. The response from the community is to try to re-assure the bereaved that they are not alone and to offer support.

It is galling when you hear someone who didn't know the person who died trying to give a personalised eulogy. That is why eulogys should only be given by people who were close to the deceased and not a politician or priest or random guy on the street, and let the politicians and priests stick to more general words of support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

JJJJNR wrote: »

The murdering feckers :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Jog in the morning, you're going to find a dead body.

Jog at night, you're going to be the dead body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭Mr. Wong

"He was the life and soul of the party"

There can only be one!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

"He was known to Gardai" :rolleyes:

Did he play 5 a side with them on Wednesday nights ?
    No, he was a piece of scum with 40 odd convictions, better off without.

Oh yeah "& our thoughts at this time are with his family", now Mickey Harte would like to say a few words about the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

"You shhhay it beshhhht when you shhhhhhay nothing at all"

fyp :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Kept himself to himself, did a lot of work for charity and didn't like to talk about it...much, was god fearing and never had a bad word to say about anyone, heavily involved in the local GAA club in a 'close knit' community, had a very kindly smile.................loved his six Rottweilers, extremely fond of the 'gargle', had a tendency to mumble in Latin under his breath, very unkempt appearance and would sometimes walk down the main street at 4 in the morning bollock naked whilst repeating the phrase "Someone's gonna pay" in an aggressive tone, and yet.........he was A MURDERING AXE WIELDING MANIAC......... who would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Heaven forbid that he didnt "play for the local GAA team"

Well, what about when Shane Geoghan was murdered in a case of mistaken identity a few years ago? Every news report referred to him as "rugby player" as if he was some celebrity or played at the highest level.

The reason the GAA is mentioned as part of an obituary is because it is usually the focal point of the community, and as such anyone who is involved in it is generally going to be well-known in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

9959 wrote: »
    Kept himself to himself, did a lot of work for charity and didn't like to talk about it...much, was god fearing and never had a bad word to say about anyone, heavily involved in the local GAA club in a 'close knit' community, had a very kindly smile.................loved his six Rottweilers, extremely fond of the 'gargle', had a tendency to mumble in Latin under his breath, very unkempt appearance and would sometimes walk down the main street at 4 in the morning bollock naked whilst repeating the phrase "Someone's gonna pay" in an aggressive tone, and yet.........he was A MURDERING AXE WIELDING MANIAC......... who would have thought.

I can see a bright future ahead for you as Obituary Editor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've no problem with someone saying it if they knew the friends/family, or were connected to them in some way (like worked in the same company but didn't directly know them), otherwise it's pointless imo. Personally doesn't bother me unless i know the person, and i have no idea who this Chavez guy is, so it doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

On a similar vein, this kind of thing, particularly in local papers, winds me up.

"The hugely popular, outgoing, witty, sexually active young man, fell to his death while out campaigning against 3rd world hunger on his non C02 emitting bicycle. Patrick was heavily involved in the local GAA, Cricket, Badminton, Chess, and Water Polo clubs. He will be sorely missed by his legions of family, friends, facebook friends, and many casual aquaintances who will no doubt blockade the village on the day of his funeral"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Only caring and nice platitudes make the TV. "He rode me missus, I hated the fúcker and I'm glad he's dead" just makes the floor of the edit suite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

"You say it best when you say nothing at all"

Yup ....and most other no talent kareoke singers.

The song was written by Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz and originally recorded by Keith Whitley in 1988.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Wont name the story, but "he was a gentle giant" used to describe a man who killed his wife (murder/suicide) and his two young children:rolleyes:.

I swear people feel the need to say something good about someone who has died, even when they know that person was nothing but a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

'He had a smile on his face for everyone'

Translated: he was a smart arse who liked to get the last word in.

'He was the life and soul of the party'

Translated: He was an arsehole who drank till he got drunk and would never be too far away when there was trouble.

'He kept himself to himself and never bothered anyone'

Translated: He was a weirdo and no one spoke to him as we were all a bit weary of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

RIP .totally over done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Agricola wrote: »
    On a similar vein, this kind of thing, particularly in local papers, winds me up.

"The hugely popular, outgoing, witty, sexually active young man, fell to his death while out campaigning against 3rd world hunger on his non C02 emitting bicycle. Patrick was heavily involved in the local GAA, Cricket, Badminton, Chess, and Water Polo clubs. He will be sorely missed by his legions of family, friends, facebook friends, and many casual aquaintances who will no doubt blockade the village on the day of his funeral"

An avid 'facebook' user, some of his much trumpeted interests and hobbies were in fact nothing more than an imaginative wish list. He was, in reality, a hermit with a broadband connection, and will be sorely missed by no one.
    None of his true friends were available for comment, because he didn't have any.
    His mother disowned him, and his father still bears a grudge.

A great guy nonetheless!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where To wrote: »
    He was a grand fella, but a bit of a cnut.
    you are supposed to say "he didn't suffer fools gladly"

If an obituary read, "He was a tireless raconteur, who gave colourful accounts of his exploits, but did not suffer fools gladly. An uncompromisingly direct ladies' man, he was affable and hospitable at every hour, but he did not uphold the highest ethical standards of the City" then you could tell the person who died was horrid. The terms used are all euphemisms. "Tireless raconteur" means "Crashing bore"; "Affable and hospitable at every hour" means "A drunk"; "Uncompromisingly direct ladies' man" means "Serial groper"; "Gave colourful accounts of his exploits" means "Liar"; "Did not uphold the highest ethical standards of the City" means "Fraudster"; and "Did not suffer fools gladly" means "Intolerant".
    from QI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yup ....and most other no talent kareoke singers.

The song was written by Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz and originally recorded by Keith Whitley in 1988.

Alison Krauss' version is lovely, though not, perhaps, one of her better songs...

Advertisement