Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headset installation

• 06-03-2013 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Not happy with the headset in this I decided to have another go at tightening it up a little.

There isn't a star-nut in the steerer, instead it uses an expansion bolt, but a bit different (longer) than what I've previously encountered; it's like this:
    P1070865%20Medium.JPG
    the outer sleeve is not gripping the inner face of the (carbon) steerer (this is the way I bought it, s/h), so I removed the sleeve to expose the 'rough' face of the expansion bolt itself, but that's not gripping particularly well either when I tighten it and it appears to be rotating when I put on and tighten the cap bolt. I don't want to over-tighten the expansion bolt and risk damaging the steerer.......

Any advice? Do I just tighten the expansion bolt till its really snug? or do I need to clean/prepare the inner-wall of the steerer tube?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I found that I bought a carbon headset bung/expansion thingy (it was a KCNC) didnt fit in my steerer as it was too wide.I just used an old one and used the KCNC top cap.
    That looks like the previous owner had the opposite prob to me and put a sleeve in to widen the diameter.
    I think I still have the the ,lets call it, the oversize bung somewhere if ya wanna try it.
    If its not a snug fit I would imagine you will have rouble getting it to grip the carbon on the inside of the steerer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I've had good luck with the FSA compressor on a few frames and would say it could be worth a google. Helps that it's cheap as chips.

On the flip side of the coin I've recently had opportunity to fit some Acros headsets (commonly found spec'd on Canyon bikes) - the don't use any bung or compressor but instead use an adjustable headset collar. They're pricier than the FSA option but they're very nifty, simple to fit and seem to be an effective alternative to the standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There's nothing wrong with the bearings-part of the headset (at least, not as far as my limited knowledge can see) its just the top-cap thats the problem. Am I right to remove that sleeve? It looks to me as if the thing cannot tighten up snugly with it in place, but maybe I'm wrong to remove it?

Is there a risk that I might split the fork steerer if I 'push' the expansion bolt too far..........its a rather snazzy aero fork that I dont want to fcuk up!

You know you take the top cap out and tighten by using the nut that is actually in the bung.
    If so (or if not then you do now....) out with the top cap insert the bung with the stem already in place. Tighten the nuts on the stem just till you start to feel resistance....this is starting to compress the steering towards the bung.Give the bung a little tighten ...pushing the steerer carbon back towards the stem...then tighten the stem bolts to 5nm (not much by hand) then tighten the bung nice and tight but dont swing out of it.
    Screw the top cap back on.
    Put on your best gear and go ride your bike.

bcmf wrote: »
    You know you take the top cap out and tighten by using the nut that is actually in the bung.
    Yeah, yeah. thats exactly how I've done it ;)
    ...then tighten the stem bolts to 5nm (not much by hand) then tighten the bung nice and tight but dont swing out of it.
    Screw the top cap back on.

Done all that too..........and its 'fine', but just not as tight a steering feel that I'd like (and I'm making allowances for a more 'twitchy' feel being a TT rig)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

This is a pretty important component on your bike. You want to make sure that it works properly. If I were you I'd measure the internal diameter of the steerer and buy a proper sized expander to suit it. For the sake of 20 quid it's not much. The knurled part of the expander should be interacting with the steerer so it doesn't slip. That's my 2 cents.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Done all that too..........and its 'fine', but just not as tight a steering feel that I'd like (and I'm making allowances for a more 'twitchy' feel being a TT rig)
    Ah you are just paranoid err..I am sure it's ok. Just prob not what you are use to.
    But seriously what yer man prenderville said.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah. thats exactly how I've done it ;)
    Ah you are just paranoid err..I am sure it's ok. Just prob not what you are use to.
    But seriously what yer man prenderville said.

I hear ye........

TBH, this expander is an OEM part - its a s/h frameset, but from 2011 so I very much doubt its been replaced.l I'll take another look later on and revert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Ok, trying to tighten the headset this evening.

Long story short, expansion bolt slipped right down the fork and in the mass hysteria that followed, I've no idea where the cuff on the extreme right came from. Any thoughts? I assume it's not related to the top cap?

PS, how tight should be bolt be? 5nm?

eacnyq3nb

http://postimg.org/image/eacnyq3nb/

Advertisement