Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch & Flywheel Replacement

Options
  • 06-03-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

So I need to replace the clutch on my car. I've got a few different quotes, but some mechanics are recommending I change the flywheel as well, some aren't. Anyone have any experience with this?

It hasn't started knocking yet and there's no weird noises, its just slipping when I accelerate hard and flywheels are mega expensive so I'm verging towards just getting the 3-part clutch replacement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

What type of car?

DMF's are a pain, yes, usually best to replace when clutch is gone, no point not doing it and in 20k miles you have to pay again to replace it. You could also look into a single flywheel replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭bbuzz

2008 Opel Astra 1.3cdti

Yeah, it's a dual-mass flywheel.
    Looking at sourcing parts in the UK now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

You'll have to change the flywheel if it needs to be changed. I presume your car has a DMF if it being recommended but any mechanic should check the DMF's condition when the clutch is removed and then decide.

Its also not just about wear on the springs or components of a DMF, if your clucth has been slipping then you've likely damaged the face of the flywheel, this would be the case with a DMF or SMF.

Advertisement