Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband in Waterford City

Options
  • 06-03-2013 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here taken the plunge and got rid of UPC Broadband and combined their Sky TV with the new broadband package? As it stands I have TV with Sky and Broadband with UPC.

I know UPC Broadband is the best but financially it's better (and handier) if I take my Sky TV deal and add broadband to it. I just don't want a huge drop in quality! Here is what I got on my last 'speed test':

Screen_Shot_2013_03_06_at_125955.png

I should also add I use my broadband for online gaming and general intrnet usage, I wouldn't be big into downloading.

Apologies mods, I know I could have taken this to the Broadbamd forum, but it's like a foreign language to me over there!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Sky Broadband is using the Eircom system it all Depends on your line if you go to Sky Ireland http://www.sky.com/products/broadband-talk/broadband/features/index-roi.html they will tell you what you can get, just sign in and select Broadband and follow the instructions. You wont get anywhere near the same speeds as UPC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

S28382 wrote: »
    Sky Broadband is using the Eircom system it all Depends on your line if you go to Sky Ireland http://www.sky.com/products/broadband-talk/broadband/features/index-roi.html they will tell you what you can get, just sign in and select Broadband and follow the instructions. You wont get anywhere near the same speeds as UPC.

This is true, but Sky also are using BT's LLU enabled exchanges....two of which exist in Waterford city.

Bottom line is yeah you won't get the same speeds as upc and you'll have to get a phone line installed, still a better deal then eircom but feck knows why you'd op for it over upc.

Keep in mind that Sky don't give you any discount for adding DSL to your tv package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Thanks for the replies lads. So it doesn't really make sense then I suppose. The package I pay for now is €70 a month and UPC is €44 a month, the TV will stay the same and the Sky BB + Phone is €40 a month, so I'd only be saving €4 but gaining a phone. That bill for that could be dangerous though if the missus got going on it, ha ha ha.

Doesn't really look like a good deal then, does it? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Where im living i cant get UPC i have BB from Wimax, TV from Sky. The BB is costing 40pm for a 4meg connection :confused: the only good thing about it is that it never drops out but its still too much money for such a ****ty speed. Im definitely going to get the BB from Sky (if the line can take good speeds) as i have a Eircom line in the house. If i could get UPC BB i would although i hear it drops out alot? its crazy how slow BB speeds are in Ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Doesn't really look like a good deal then, does it? :o

It is what it is really, Sky know they can't take on UPC so instead they are taking on the likes of Vodafone and Eircom.

They can't offer any faster services then Vodafone or Eircom really but they can beat them on price so thats exactly what they are doing.

I moved to Sky myself last month as it saves me over 15e a month from a unlimited package I had with UTV Internet. My line can support a 17MB service so I'm reasonably happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Remember if you dont have a Eircom line and you order one there are conditions. If you dont use Eircom as the calls supplier you have to pay an installation fee etc. Have a look into it, a few people have been caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

So is it €10 for the unlimited broadband from Sky or €40?

I have no need for a phone so only interested in Broadband.

Their site is not that clear as it shows €10 but then mentions something about an additional €30 for Sky Talk?

reni10 wrote: »
    So is it €10 for the unlimited broadband from Sky or €40?

I have no need for a phone so only interested in Broadband.

Their site is not that clear as it shows €10 but then mentions something about an additional €30 for Sky Talk?

Package I have is
    Upto 24MB Broadband Unlimited package (they do also have a Lite package), Line Rental and Evening and Weekend Calls for 40e a month. I think its 48e if you opt for anytime calls.

Router was free and no installation costs for me as I was already with utv and have a phone line installed because of that.

You have to effectively take a call package as if you don't it'll cost you the bones of 30e for the broadband, Sky make feck all money on the Broadband stuff so this is why its pushed this way. After all they have to make some sort of money off the service.

Take a look at the sky website its pretty clear what you will be paying depending on what you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Not really answering your question but may be of help to Sky customers. I rang up 2 weeks ago to complain about the price of my monthly bill and what I was getting for it - I was paying €94 for Sky World w/ Multiroom and my two digiboxes were over 5 years old. I got through to their Dublin centre and was very calm and pleasant with the girl I spoke to and explained where I was at regards my Sky subscription and told them I wanted to leave. After the usual "sorry that you are unhappy" talk she warm transferred me to her colleague in Cancellations who immediately offered me €24 off my monthly bill, 2 x Sky + HD boxes with free install and 3 months free HD on trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And if you're with UPC, you won't get better for gaming. It's all about the ping, and with a 17ms ping you're getting way better than any non-fibre powered service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

S28382 wrote: »
    Where im living i cant get UPC i have BB from Wimax, TV from Sky. The BB is costing 40pm for a 4meg connection :confused: the only good thing about it is that it never drops out but its still too much money for such a ****ty speed. Im definitely going to get the BB from Sky (if the line can take good speeds) as i have a Eircom line in the house. If i could get UPC BB i would although i hear it drops out alot? its crazy how slow BB speeds are in Ireland.

Where do you live? Company I work for offers Wireless BB at better speed than that and cheaper.

PM me for details.

A.

We could just be lucky but I could count on one hand how many times UPC has dropped in 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    We could just be lucky but I could count on one hand how many times UPC has dropped in 5 years!
    yep..same as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Eircom are due to upgrade their network to 50mb in july this year ---tv services to follow!

My brother had got eircom a few years ago in the countryside and it was blistering for 3 years then it just went to crap, must have been congested. But the ability for brilliant broadband was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Sorry to rehash this thread but what kind of speeds are people in Waterford getting from Sky broadband? Read somewhere they use the Eircom lines which has worried me a bit. We had Eircom a few years back but the lines into our Estate were rubbish. Looking to switch from UPC as they gone to sh**e since they became Virgin Media (especially for NetFlix).

Any input is greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

AMGer wrote: »
    Sorry to rehash this thread but what kind of speeds are people in Waterford getting from Sky broadband? Read somewhere they use the Eircom lines which has worried me a bit. We had Eircom a few years back but the lines into our Estate were rubbish. Looking to switch from UPC as they gone to sh**e since they became Virgin Media (especially for NetFlix).

Any input is greatly appreciated

never had sky but im hearing pretty good things about their broadband. i think they are still using eirs lines but id say most of the network is updated to fttc(fiber to the cabinet) at this stage, i.e. fiber broadband, and with the rollout of ftth(fiber to the home), id say its all looking good for the future for us all. still on upc here. doesnt seem to be causing too many problems with netflix yet! neighbours are always a good source for info on broadband services as im sure services vary from location to location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

thanks, yeah, when we had Eircom a few years back it wasnt fibre. Good point.

Advertisement