Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stick to the running, Eamonn

• 06-03-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Eamonn Coughlan has suggested that people should have to register their passport or credit card before being allowed online. He suggested "before being allowed to comment", but in reality you would have to require registration before allowing someone online at all.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/senator-suggests-people-pay-to-post-online-comments-in-bid-to-curb-cyberbullying-587098.html

It really goes to show how ridiculous the "election" process for the senate is when otherwise decent and likeable people make complete fools of themselves by being given a platform to comment on things they have no understanding of.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Gobshite.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fidelma Healy Eames (she of various not-paying for things scandals and wanting to install a "chip" in consoles to stop kids from playing too long) has again excelled herself with her technological knowledge.

"Fraping is when you're raped on Facebook"

and

“Literally, right now, our children are living in a parallel universe”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Have a cookie Eamonn :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

Ladies and gentlemen, thats your tax dollars at work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Old man yells at cloud.

Really though, politicians shouldn't be allowed say anything on something the clearly don't know or understand. Maybe we should charge them every time they say something stupid? the country would be back on its feet in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Eamonn Coughlan says 'People who have a platform (the internet) to talk about nonsense should be forced to register their details', on a platform (the Seanad) talking about things he doesn't understand.

Definition of irony right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when are they getting rid of the seanad? wasnt it an election promise?

its like Christmas panto in there 99% of the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How does he think people sign up with UPC/Eircom... and the likes?

Am I the only one who hasn't provided them with false details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Senator Fidelma Healy Eames [...] said teenagers are literally living in a parallel universe.
    I'd just like to say congratulations to the Irish children who have made the scientific breakthrough of the decade by discovering how to travel to parallel universes. Really fabulous work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

punish the masses for the actions of a few....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I wonder what the would think of CAKE, the new drug that is taking over Eastern Europe, that makes a second seem like a day, that is why one young man in Prague got knocked down by a bus because he thought he had all day to cross.

Brass Eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

Sure we might as well bring it back to the days of the telephone exchange operator, except this time you will have to ring someone up and ask them "Can ya turn on me internet please, it's John"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

seamus wrote: »
    Eamonn Coughlan has suggested that people should have to register their passport or credit card before being allowed online. He suggested "before being allowed to comment", but in reality you would have to require registration before allowing someone online at all.
    We live in a democracy ( of sorts ) but he probably still thinks we live in 1960's Ireland were only the few got to have a say or air their views in public and on the airwaves .
    How does he think people sign up with UPC/Eircom... and the likes?

Am I the only one who hasn't provided them with false details?
    :D
    Sure we might as well bring it back to the days of the telephone exchange operator, except this time you will have to ring someone up and ask them "Can ya turn on me internet please, it's John"
    '' Hello ...I would like to make a trunk call ...thanks ....click ..click ...click ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Eamonn should stick to sneering at Russian athletes, although this statement proves beyond doubt he belongs in FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Senators should have to surrender their credit card before making speeches.

Seriously someone should teach these guys the basics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

In all seriousness there should be mandatory IQ tests for all our representatives (Even those not democratically elected - That's everyone in the Seanad ! ) .

Complete and utter muppets the lot of them.

Robbo wrote: »

and

Knasher wrote: »
    I'd just like to say congratulations to the Irish children who have made the scientific breakthrough of the decade by discovering how to travel to parallel universes. Really fabulous work.

BREAKING NEWS: Dubbed "The Rapetrix" Irish teenagers are using their access to a newly discovered alternate reality to engage in sexual assault. The youths, who remain anonymous despite their parents providing identifiable payment details, are reportedly spending up to 28 hours a day in this parallel existence with no apparent consideration for the goings on in the real world.

"It's completely against the moral fiber and physical abilities of our society" said Joe Duffy caller Maire O' Shea.

Proposals to limit the access to this metaphysical existence are to be discussed later this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Someone should go around and hand out 'facepalm awards' to these dopes.

A little sculpture of Capitan Picard with his head in his hands would do nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wonder what the would think of CAKE, the new drug that is taking over Eastern Europe, that makes a second seem like a day, that is why one young man in Prague got knocked down by a bus because he thought he had all day to cross.

Exactly the kind of thing we need to be doing to our politicians to keep them on their toes. Too many of them are so isolated from the rest of society that they haven't a clue what the problems really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

y'see Eamonn this is why rottweilers attack you, cos the smell of gobs**te off ya is ferocious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So this clown is the one of the people who is in charge of this country...

Yikes...

Jesus, what an idiot!

Obviously hasn't a clue what he is talking about.

Talk about a massive target for worldwide hackers, and it would eventually be gotten into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

He is one of the countries sporting heroes who I could never warm to, that time he won the World Championships Gold(1983?) and was laughing and celebrating as he was overtaking the guy on the bend, well before he crossed the line.

The height of arrogance and cockiness, I'd love if he fell on his hole before the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Fidelma Healy Eames (she of various not-paying for things scandals and wanting to install a "chip" in consoles to stop kids from playing too long) has again excelled herself with her technological knowledge.

and

don't forget about Averil Power & Ivana Bacik who want to spit in the face of democracy with their gender quotas.

forget about abolishing the Seanad, they need to DEmolish it, with the senators still inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The more and more stories like this i read the more i think it wasn't a housing crisis that destroyed us it was in fact an email from a nigerian prince that was looking for a way to transfer 10 quadrillian dollers from his account and would cut us in for 10 percent.

they got bitten and blamed the banks and are now turning to the internet.

First Sherlock and his Irish Sopa

now this real names for everything online

they just don't want to be stung again

honestly these lads and lasses are idiots, pure and simple. They don't understand the technology they don't know whats best and they should just f*ck off and you know what you can link my real name to that

Dannie McHugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

That line should not only have been the focus of the article it should probably be on 6.01 news. Any politician involved in the running of our country that believes teenagers have access to a parallel universe should be getting asked some tough questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

He used to be known as the King of the Boards (obviously not Boards.ie :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

When will these people educate themselves or involve people who know what they're talking about?

Also an IP address is not a single person's unique id online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

You never go full retard......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Also an IP address is not a single person's unique id online.
    You lie! My IP address has been 192.168.0.2 for nearly ten years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

These people give simpletons a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Maybe when teens are bullying each other online they should provide the details of which parent they want to go to prison?

Win-win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

People like him are a good argument for the internet to kept be beyond government jurisdiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

ScumLord wrote: »

I'm on 192.168.0.3. We must be neighbours!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

Another idiotic comment from the muppet who cost himself an Olympic medal by trying to shave himself, thus making himself more aerodynamic ( he thought)

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/'Shaving+my+legs+cost+me+an+Olympic+gold+medal'.-a0182187421

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

krudler wrote: »
    Old man yells at The Cloud.
    fyp

Someone needs to sit Fidelma Doubley-Barrelly down and explain what literally means. "Our kids are literally in another dimension" are they?! someone call CERN, no need for that whole collider malarkey, Irish kids have figured out wormholes and multiverses and are using this vast cosmic altering power to frape people, what an age we live in.

The fuck?! GET OFF MY NETWORK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Did we collectively do something horrific in a past life or something?

What have we done to deserve having such idiotic people in a position of power in our society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Definite Sherlock Moment going on here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

MardiB wrote: »
    Another idiotic comment from the muppet who cost himself an Olympic medal by trying to shave himself, thus making himself more aerodynamic ( he thought)

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/'Shaving+my+legs+cost+me+an+Olympic+gold+medal'.-a0182187421

He has the second fastest run indoor mile in history.

What are your life achievements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Seachmall wrote: »
    The fuck?! GET OFF MY NETWORK!

My routers address is 192.168.0.1. I bet all you pricks are stealing my internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

My routers address is 192.168.0.1. I bet all you pricks are stealing my internet.

IP address snobbery will be the way of the future...everyone will want that upmarket 192.168.0.X address and look down on those without:D

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Does that mean you were the first one on the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

krudler wrote: »
    Someone needs to sit Fidelma Doubley-Barrelly down and explain what literally means. "Our kids are literally in another dimension" are they?! someone call CERN, no need for that whole collider malarkey, Irish kids have figured out wormholes and multiverses and are using this vast cosmic altering power to frape people, what an age we live in.

Fidelma Doubley-Barrelly love it! (Especially the hyphen!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

stmol32 wrote: »
    Does that mean you were the first one on the internet?
    I think it means he was the 19,816,801th person on the internet. It's weird how we all got numbers so close to each other. It must be a sign from god, I wonder if it's the save or murder type of sign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

This gem from Fidelma Healy Eames makes me want to throw something heavy through a window.
    Where a youngster has their status opened and another person puts a message on there, as if they wrote it, and that message could be, for example sexual. This type of thing has to stop.

There has to be some controls put here. What about sexting, where they are texting sexual images?

efb wrote: »
    Fidelma Doubley-Barrelly love it! (Especially the hyphen!)

I know its uncouth to think your own posts are funny, but fcuk it, I lit up thinking of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

MardiB wrote: »

he is sure well qualified to be a politicion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement