Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email : transfer to gmail

Options
  • 06-03-2013 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been using Outlook for email for ever. I have two emails address accounts.

In the last few months, both have been inundated with spam - in spanish - from Brazil - and elsewhere. Lots from USA also. All the crap in world comes in. Obviously my email addresses have been captured and circulated to the world.

I want to keep my email addresses , since it is my name plain and simple. No funny numbers embedded ie johnX_1955 , or other such. Signing up for Gmail, the new email address will be a hash like that.....

Question:
    If I transfer to Gmail and keep my existing email adresses as supplementary addresses on gmail, will gmail filter out the spam from those addresses ?

And could I effectively use them as primary email addresses ?

I did use spankiller in the past... (even before McAfee bought it out) ..but I don't really want to do that again. Too much maintenance of rules.

A.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Google's junk filter may or may not catch spam and as it happens, automatic filters sometimes move entirely legitimate mails to junk.

I recommend Mailwasher (free version is just fine). Once you have been using it for a week or two, you will have the usual suspects blacklisted (you can ban entire domains) and spam is hardly a problem anymore. Very simple and highly efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Maybe you should try to improve spam filtering on the server or ask your provider to do it? You didn't reveal if you have you own domain registered or it's an address like johndoe@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Automated spam filtering is all about statistics.
    Google's mail user numbers are up around 450 million.
    This gives them a serious edge.

The manual "report mail as spam" button on every mail is the key here if people use it.
    This adds a strong human element to the other forms of adding weight to spam judgements.

You can add your existing email addresses to your gmail account,
    and tell gmail to use any verified address as the default sender address.

You can alternatively have your default from address set to whichever of your addresses
    the original mail was addressed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Hi Anchises,
    No need to worry with Spam mail. You would be able to stop these items by following some steps :
    Step 1- Open Outlook then click on Tool menu
    Step 2- Then click on Option menu
    Step 3- Dialog box of junk mails appears on the computer screen
    Step 4- Go to Option tab then click on 'Junk Mail,
    Step 5- Select 'High' priority to instruct Outlook for moving junk mails in spam folder. Here you can click on "Safe Lists Only” to receive mail from these contacts only
    Step 6 - Check option "Permanently delete suspected junk email instead of moving it to the Junk email folder." to delete all messages
    Step 7 - Click 'Apply' then 'OK'

Regards:
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I find Gmail spam filter very good.
    I have 6 different email addresses I monitor and all are set up in Gmail as my primary client.

I get email from Ocenfree.net, Live.ie (Outlook), Yahoo.co.uk and a couple of Gmail addresses. I have listed the emails in the order of spam filtering ability with obviously the Oceanfree one having no spam filter at all then next worst I find is the Outlook address as it catches legit emails and misses obvious spam. Next best is the Yahoo address as that does a good job and finally the Gmail I find catches about 98% of spam.

I have now set up all my addresses to view them in Gmail and it’s great – it catches spam and allows me to send and reply from all my addresses as required. So in other words I can get an email from my Oceanfree account and reply to the sender via Gmail and have it sent by my Oceanfree account.

I think it would be a good idea to set up a Gmail account and set up your other accounts on it and see how it performs spam wise. It's really easy to setup POP email checking and Send As is also a breeze and you can set it to Reply from the same address to which the message was sent by default too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Thank you for all the helpful suggetions. :)

It gives a me a whole new set of options to consider.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

A friend of mine opened a GMail account a couple of years back but didnt use it. She logged into it the other day for the first time since, and there was over 800 spam emails in there. GMail certainly isnt the answer to your spam problems - as a previous person said, try Mailwasher. Very good program indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

I'm using the new(ish) outlook.com as my primary email account - no ads, no spam. Much better than Gmail in my opinion.

So I find it strange you're getting that much spam...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

My version of MS Office is as old as the hills. None of the frills that the latest Outlook has. :(

My original email account was set up way back when Ireland on Line went active, When Netscape navigator was the browser. ....when the email client was a terminal screen and modems were dialup.

I'm living in the past. Time to upgrade :)

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

RodgersLFC wrote: »
    A friend of mine opened a GMail account a couple of years back but didnt use it. She logged into it the other day for the first time since, and there was over 800 spam emails in there. GMail certainly isnt the answer to your spam problems - as a previous person said, try Mailwasher. Very good program indeed.

I have my Gmail set to leave the messages on the original server (i.e. collect messages but don't delete from my original account) over the past 30 days my Gmail has caught 218 spam messages from all my POP accounts and when i go back to my Outlook there are 14 messages sitting in the Outlook inbox that are definitely spam and it has missed them where as Gmail caught them. so in summary Gmail has caught the spam and Outlook has not - I believe that Gmail also learns spam filtering a lot quicker if you use it as it needs to learn your habits and you to teach it what you consider as spam.
    I get around 200 - 500 spam messages a month and most come from my Oceanfree account as its got no spam filters at all!

Oh and another nifty trick that Gmail will do is auto delete spam after 30 days (you can set up a filter to do it quicker if you wish) I never see the spam as its in a hidden folder of its own but every once and a while I skim through the emails in case I have missed a legitimate one about winning the Spanish Lotto!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

RodgersLFC wrote: »
    800 spam emails in her inbox? Or in her spam folder?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement