Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira Elite Pump

Options
  • 06-03-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I bought a new Mira Elite shower to replace my old Mira Sport. Only after the plumber fixed the new shower I realized that the new shower has a very noisy pump. The old one had no pump and was very quiet. Would the shower work If I were to disconnect the pump? Any advice on this will be appreciated :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

My advice is sack your plumber.back away from the bathroom slowly and call a TRAINED EXPERT because clearly neither you nor your plumber have the slightest idea what ye are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

smpillai11 wrote: »
    I bought a new Mira Elite shower to replace my old Mira Sport. Only after the plumber fixed the new shower I realized that the new shower has a very noisy pump. The old one had no pump and was very quiet. Would the shower work If I were to disconnect the pump? Any advice on this will be appreciated :D
    No you can't disconnect the pump. Was the old shower mains fed? And if so did the plumber change the mains feed to a tank feed for the new shower??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

MrMac84 wrote: »
    My advice is sack your plumber.back away from the bathroom slowly and call a TRAINED EXPERT because clearly neither you nor your plumber have the slightest idea what ye are doing.

Charming!

It seems to me to be quite a leap to associate a noisy pump with the fact that neither of those people know what they are doing, so just wondering what's the connection?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

From a very quick look at some specs, the Mira Sport is a mains pressure shower, and the new Elite is pumped.

In theory, mains should not need to be pumped, and putting a pumped shower on mains is asking for all sorts of problems,. and without going digging, I'm not sure it's a legal let alone valid thing to do.

So, there are issues with why a pumped shower has been put on a mains supply, unless the supply has been changed, and if it has not, there may be safety issues with the pressure that the shower is operating at, depending on the mains pressure, it may be higher than the shower is rated for.

If the plumber did not discuss this fairly fundamental issue with the householder, it raises questions over the reason why that was done, and the underlying level of competence of the plumber that has done the install.

Given that it is a high power electric shower, if a problem were to occur due to overpressure, I don't think I need to point out that water and electricity are not a good combination if mixed inappropriately.

Is that enough connection?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

From a very quick look at some specs, the Mira Sport is a mains pressure shower, and the new Elite is pumped.

In theory, mains should not need to be pumped, and putting a pumped shower on mains is asking for all sorts of problems,. and without going digging, I'm not sure it's a legal let alone valid thing to do.

So, there are issues with why a pumped shower has been put on a mains supply, unless the supply has been changed, and if it has not, there may be safety issues with the pressure that the shower is operating at, depending on the mains pressure, it may be higher than the shower is rated for.

If the plumber did not discuss this fairly fundamental issue with the householder, it raises questions over the reason why that was done, and the underlying level of competence of the plumber that has done the install.

Given that it is a high power electric shower, if a problem were to occur due to overpressure, I don't think I need to point out that water and electricity are not a good combination if mixed inappropriately.

Thanks that's helpful. It was mains fed before. The plumber did say before fitting that the shower is different and pressure might be too high. Seems to work fine except for no noise before (since there was no pump) and now the noise from the pump. Think It will difficult at this stage to return the shower for one with no pump :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

smpillai11 wrote: »

Thanks that's helpful. It was mains fed before. The plumber did say before fitting that the shower is different and pressure might be too high. Seems to work fine except for no noise before (since there was no pump) and now the noise from the pump. Think It will difficult at this stage to return the shower for one with no pump :(
    Do not use the shower. Get a proper plumber to change the feed from mains to a tank supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Do not use the shower. Get a proper plumber to change the feed from mains to a tank supply
    Which is what I said in the first post...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭smpillai11

Dtp79 wrote: »

Thanks. Will do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

thanks for clarifying. was not evident at all from the post above yours.

Advertisement