Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeding my chihuahua

• 06-03-2013 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi I'm looking for advice I have a full breed chihuahua and she will be 2 in April what's the correct age to breed her?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I suggest you contact the IKC and get information from the Chihuahua Club of Ireland and they can point you in the right direction for the breed.
    What is your reason for breeding her? Has she been health tested for breed issues? Is she IKC registered? Does the breeder of her know that you are considering breeding her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Sorry now, but if you don't even know the correct age you can breed your dog at, it seems to me you perhaps haven't done this before? I would agree with Andrea's advice, speak to the IKC and definitely the breeder you got her from.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Oh please don't breed her. Especially if you have no experience or any idea of the dos and don'ts.
    Small dogs in particular are more prone to complications when having pups.
    If you're not experienced at all then you have to ask yourself the reasons why you want to breed her.

If you're adamant you want to breed her you must consult a reputable vet and seek their advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Astalia x

Oh please don't breed her. Especially if you have no experience or any idea of the dos and don'ts.
    Small dogs in particular are more prone to complications when having pups.
    If you're not experienced at all then you have to ask yourself the reasons why you want to breed her.

If you're adamant you want to breed her you must consult a reputable vet and seek their advice.
    Without sounding cheeky or ungrateful for your advice, I must point out it's hardly rocket science is it? My dog is very well cared for with regular health checks at the vets, I was merely only asking advice on the age she needs to be, she's miniature and her puppies would be beautiful it's not like I was going to leave her on the street with the sheep dogs and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

Astalia x wrote: »
    Without sounding cheeky or ungrateful for your advice, I must point out it's hardly rocket science is it? My dog is very well cared for with regular health checks at the vets, I was merely only asking advice on the age she needs to be, she's miniature and her puppies would be beautiful it's not like I was going to leave her on the street with the sheep dogs and hope for the best

Hi, I would not ask here, as all your going get, is the same , please don't breed her, etc , If she is 2 + and is over her 2 heat , then she should be fine to breed, have fun !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Well there's your first mistake; no such thing as a miniature chihuahua. There are serious health problems ruining chihuahuas, the health testing people are talking about is genetic health testing to ensure she cannot pass on any hereditary problems to her puppies. Are you ready for something to go wrong and potentially lose mom and all the puppies? Are you prepared to shell out hundreds of euro if there are complications with the birth? Small breeds like this can have a lot of issues, especially if a puppy gets stuck while being born. It may not be rocket science, but there's a lot more to it than simply throwing two dogs together and seeing what happens.

Rommie wrote: »
    Well there's your first mistake; no such thing as a miniature chihuahua. There are serious health problems ruining chihuahuas, the health testing people are talking about is genetic health testing to ensure she cannot pass on any hereditary problems to her puppies. Are you ready for something to go wrong and potentially lose mom and all the puppies? Are you prepared to shell out hundreds of euro if there are complications with the birth? Small breeds like this can have a lot of issues, especially if a puppy gets stuck while being born. It may not be rocket science, but there's a lot more to it than simply throwing two dogs together and seeing what happens.
    Have u seen the amount of chihuahua puppies for sale on donedeal?thers ALOT if everyone stops breeding their small dogs because of fears over health risks then it means the end of the breed, and for your info my friend had a full bred chihuahua too and my dog is a lot smaller in comparison, but you sound like the expert so your prob right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have u seen the amount of chihuahua puppies for sale on donedeal?thers ALOT if everyone stops breeding their small dogs because of fears over health risks then it means the end of the breed

For the love of god :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

if everyone stops breeding their small dogs because of fears over health risks then it means the end of the breed

No it means the breed will grow stronger as people won't be breeding dogs with health problems to be passed on. It may not be rocket science but it still requires a great deal of thought. Please do your research and heed the advice people on this forum have given you.

I was also thinking about painting her nails? Is it ok to use nail polish? I'm thinking sparkly pink wud really look fab

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Astalia x, there are people trying to help you here: just because you don't agree with what they're saying doesn't give you carte blanche to post in this way. As you don't appear to be taking this whole thing seriously, and are coming across as a tad trollish, I am now locking this thread.
    If you are going to post in this forum again, please read the forum charter, taking heed of the bit where it says to treat other posters with respect.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement