Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Road

• 06-03-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi Folks, can anyone enlighten me on what they are doing between Hebron Rd Roundabout and the Old Dublin Rd Roundabout on the ringroad. Its on the countryside of the road and there is massive building works ie diggers cranes etc since Christmas. Just Curious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I was thinking that maybe it's a filter road from the ringroad to the Carlow road, to take pressure off the roundabout? I could be completely wrong though......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

My unverified unreliable rumour mill type sources tell me it's a council storage depot. Take that with a pinch of gravel until you hear something more concrete.

On a slightly related note, what I would like to know is what the hell they are doing there behind the army barracks on the road that connects the 'Comer road to the Eurospar roundabout, and how many more months they're planning on occupying what is an important main city thoroughfare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sky King wrote: »
    My unverified unreliable rumour mill type sources tell me it's a council storage depot. Take that with a pinch of gravel until you hear something more concrete.

On a slightly related note, what I would like to know is what the hell they are doing there behind the army barracks on the road that connects the 'Comer road to the Eurospar roundabout, and how many more months they're planning on occupying what is an important main city thoroughfare?

I think this is closed through til June? But I could be wrong. It's frankly complete boll!X that they could close a road for so long...but KK county council seem to have a fetish for closing off roads...they did it to the M9 for over a month...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dun Doire

As it is the council that is doing it....they always will take longer to do it. I know that the job involves putting telephone cables and power lines under ground and this does take a long time as it involves both the ESB and Eircom. It will be a help when it finishes....thats if people remember to use it once its open again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I regularly jog on that road and from what I see they would get the job done a lot quicker if less of the workers were standing around with their hands in their pockets. It's a common sight to see 3 or 4 workers standing around watching, while someone else is doing all the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Dun Doire wrote: »

As it is the council that is doing it....they always will take longer to do it.

It's not the council doing it. All those jobs are being done by contractors now because its cheaper. The council oversee the jobs as they are done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

PaulKK wrote: »
    It's not the council doing it. All those jobs are being done by contractors now because its cheaper. The council oversee the jobs as they are done.

Its the council.

femur61 wrote: »
    Its the council.

That would explain the glacial pace then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

road_high wrote: »

That would explain the glacial pace then....

Guys I think ye are talking about 2 different project here in the thread. The original post is talking about the works in the field alongside the actual ringroad and since Skykings post the following ones are possibly all related to the upgrade works further into the city near the army barracks. It might be clearer and more useful to the OP if you mention which project you are referring to in the post.

In relation to the OP's query I thought it looked like an upgrade or perhaps burying the HT cables in the field. I haven't passed in a while or got a good look to confirm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

cargo wrote: »

In relation to the OP's query I thought it looked like an upgrade or perhaps burying the HT cables in the field. I haven't passed in a while or got a good look to confirm though.

Its much more than that. An Industrial Unit (as if there werent any empty ones around) and a much bigger structure

• Advertisement

earlytobed wrote: »
    Its much more than that. An Industrial Unit (as if there werent any empty ones around) and a much bigger structure

Ok it's a good while since I last passed. They hadn't any steelwork erected when I was passing. The Council depot or a warehouse sounds plausible then although it should show up on the planning website searches then.

earlytobed wrote: »

Unbelievable as it may sound there's actually not that many vacant offices/units in Kilkenny at all. I know because I was looking with work lately and struggled to get something suitable and not too expensive (there's units but way too expensive still...). There's much bettter value in Carlow actually.

I've just had another look at the area again on the planning mapping website and there's nothing showing up for the area. The only ones I can see on that side of the RR is the Alderwood Properties one back at the roundabout for the old house to be converted to a hotel and the DKS application at the new roundabout on the link road for a Service Station but both of them are further back (North) and dont cover the area where the works are ongoing.

The area is zoned for a business park.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭jukebox2310

The building on the ring road is a salt barn for the NRA. Will be completed in a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Surely if the NRA is building this without planning permission, they're acting outside the law? I thought they were subject to the same laws as the rest of us but I'm possibly wrong.
    Secondly, since it seems to be going up at a fast rate, I wonder if the contractor could be persuaded to give the lads over at Henneberry's Cross (N77/78 junction) a dig-out? Seems like they're taking forever to build a simple roundabout.

The building on the ring road is a salt barn for the NRA. Will be completed in a few months
    Surely if the NRA is building this without planning permission, they're acting outside the law? I thought they were subject to the same laws as the rest of us but I'm possibly wrong.
    Secondly, since it seems to be going up at a fast rate, I wonder if the contractor could be persuaded to give the lads over at Henneberry's Cross (N77/78 junction) a dig-out? Seems like they're taking forever to build a simple roundabout.

I was actually going to suggest a Salt Barn when i didnt see any planning reference to it but because people referred to it as a warehouse type structure I didnt. I'm assuming so there's less steel and more concrete in the structure than a typical warehouse? I havent passed since it started going up.

The planning end of it comes under some sort of County Development or possibly Strategic Development type procedure rather than the standard planning procedure. It would probably still have had a public consultation period like any standard application but follows different procedures in other respects.

There's a very large one going up at Balbriggan alongside the M1 and again it's not on the standard Fingal planning lists but rather in their development plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Cheers, cargo. When you put a name on it I went searching and found this:

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/47849

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Having endured months of road works on the so called ring road, I now drive from the Callan road roundabout to the Waterford one and to be honest it looks more like a tip, it really can't be finished can it. There are contractors bits look like they they were dumped. Not unless it has gone into NAMA like the site on the Callan Road, both make our beautiful city look like a fcuk tip.

Cheers, cargo. When you put a name on it I went searching and found this:

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/47849

Yeah passed by it myself yesterday and that's what it is. They are building a few like it around the country at present. They all have a big mass concrete structure for holding the salt (v abrasive to steel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Having endured months of road works on the so called ring road, I now drive from the Callan road roundabout to the Waterford one and to be honest it looks more like a tip, it really can't be finished can it. There are contractors bits look like they they were dumped. Not unless it has gone into NAMA like the site on the Callan Road, both make our beautiful city look like a fcuk tip.

They are moving back the light poles so id say when its done they will smooth out the paths and clean it all up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement