Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something Similar to a BMW R1200GS

Options
  • 06-03-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So...

Ive been riding now for a few months and have moved on from my A1 LP too my A2 LP. Unfortunatly I wont be buying a bigger bike for a while, due to money (probably summer) but its never to early to start looking.

So I guess I should give you guys a taste of my style, Im in love with cruiser/enduro type bikes. KTM Dukes are probably my favourite at the moment, but with the price tag thats attached to them a little bit out of my budget.

Im shying away from cruisers as well. i have a Marauder 125 at the moment, and its just too small for me. Im 6'3" and about 75kg so you can really see how tall i am when Im on one.

My dad recommends the enduro/supermoto style as id be sitting upright etc and well I have to agree with him. It also seems like a better style bike to do the test on.

When I was at the bike show on sunday I fell in love with the BMW R1200Gs but obviously this bike is way outside the legal limits, so im looking for something relatively similar. Anybody got any ideas ?

Rrequirements
    1)A2 legal
    2)1000-2000 euros
    3)Cheapish insurance(im aware that this depends a lot on the rider/bike)

Hope some people can help me out. cheers for reading!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I have a full a license and I haven't bother the learn what the new license rules are so this may not suit.

Yamaha xt660z I recently bought one. I like it a lot very different to my FJR much more suited to Irish roads and exploring. It ain't very powerful slthought I have no idea what the power is about 50bhp I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

650Ginge wrote: »
    I have a full a license and I haven't bother the learn what the new license rules are so this may not suit.

Yamaha xt660z I recently bought one. I like it a lot very different to my FJR much more suited to Irish roads and exploring. It ain't very powerful slthought I have no idea what the power is about 50bhp I would think.

Hey 650 Ginge, thanks for the reply.

The xt660z is actually really nice. Seems like the kinda style bike id go for. I just checked up its specs there at its sits bang on at 35kw and is like .16Kw/Kg so it sits below the .2Kw/Kg limit. Very nice indeed...

How did you find it for reliability etc ?

edit:
    Just had a look on adverts.ie,gumtree.ie and donedeal.ie and couldnt seem to find any of them listed. It makes me start to think that it could be a little outside my price range ?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I could find any here either so went and got one in the UK. What budget are thinking?

Irish bike market can be funny bmw honda suzuki Harley...anything else you seem to be considered some sort of deviant.

Only done about a 1000miles on it. I don't expect any issues based on the info I have seen on xt660.com. Maybe Cush drive rubbers. I do all my own servicing and that was the part of the appeal of the xt. It is simple.

Bmws cars and bikes have at best average reliability. I was out with 5 bmws on Sunday all road stuff, rt12's and k12's k13's. it can keep up but it ain't designed for pushing 100mph for long periods. But listening to there tails of fuel pumps, and other stuff. Not convincing me I want one enough to pay the premium price.

More suit to the military road were you will leave any sport tourer for dead.

There is 650 and 800 gs too, ktm 690, v-strom, transalp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Rrequirements
    1)A2 legal
    2)1000-2000 euros
    3)Cheapish insurance(im aware that this depends a lot on the rider/bike)

Honda Dominator

I had one for awhile, they're a brilliant bike.. A big 650 single thumper, great one fuel. Good tourer, and if you like to have fun it wheelies at the drop of a hat.. I dropped mine off road and wheeling a few times and hardly put a dent in it.

I'm not sure if the engine meets your legal requirements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

650Ginge wrote: »

RSA,motorbike instructors and even the motor tax office officials dont seem to know either.

If you are over 24,have done an IBT and also passed the restricted A test, (prior to Jan 19th 2013) then you can do a further 11 hours with an instructor and get the full A (un-restricted) licence.

No retest needed

According to several bike instructors and even the RSA website,you need to get a learner permit to do the 11 hours training with them on a bigger bike. (once you are over 24 and have done the IBT and passed your test).

But the Motor Tax Office officials will not issue a new Full A leraner permit,as you have allready got an restricted 2 year A Licence.

The whole system is fcuked up and these different bodies do not know how to communicate with each other.

So who is right and who is wrong here??????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

F650 GS. Heres mine:

244029.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Klr650, another 48 bhp big single. I've had two of them and their durability is legendary. Bmw f650 same type as above, again had one and loved it. Vstrom 650. Kawasaki kle500 or Versys 650. There's a few to choose from.

And you're dead right, cruisers are ****e .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

gbob wrote: »
    Klr650, another 48 bhp big single. I've had two of them and their durability is legendary. Bmw f650 same type as above, again had one and loved it. Vstrom 650. Kawasaki kle500 or Versys 650. There's a few to choose from.
    At 6ft3 the taller F650GS Dakar model will fit you better than the standard model but you might still find it a bit cramped.
    DL650 Vstrom is a great bike and much more comfortable than any big single.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

At 6ft3 the taller F650GS Dakar model will fit you better than the standard model but you might still find it a bit cramped.
    DL650 Vstrom is a great bike and much more comfortable than any big single.

Yeah had the vstrom 1000, they're in a different league to the big thumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

+1 on the VStrom/ DL650

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Sorry about the length between my reply...
    Honda Dominator

I had one for awhile, they're a brilliant bike.. A big 650 single thumper, great one fuel. Good tourer, and if you like to have fun it wheelies at the drop of a hat.. I dropped mine off road and wheeling a few times and hardly put a dent in it.

I'm not sure if the engine meets your legal requirements.

Like the look of the dominators alright and they seem to be well in my price bracket. Its within the legal requirements at 32Kw and .19Kw/Kg. Whats it like for speed ? Seems to have enough power...

The only thing Id critique it on is it looks kinda small from the photos. That just me or ?

On a side not, to all the F650GS owners out there, I hate you and I want to run away with your bikes. :o Seriously though Im head over heals for them. Just not sure If I could find one for my price ranger =/

Just found out that the F650 is 37.something KW so its just over the max limit...Im gonna go off and cry for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

On a side not, to all the F650GS owners out there, I hate you and I want to run away with your bikes. :o Seriously though Im head over heals for them. Just not sure If I could find one for my price ranger =/

Just found out that the F650 is 37.something KW so its just over the max limit...Im gonna go off and cry for a bit

F650 is probably one of the most learner-friendly and restricable bikes you can buy. BMW have been making learner-legal bikes a lot longer than most:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4459256

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Like the look of the dominators alright and they seem to be well in my price bracket. Its within the legal requirements at 32Kw and .19Kw/Kg. Whats it like for speed ? Seems to have enough power...
    I had a dommie for 2 years, it's a great bike and I'd easily recommend one too. Actually did my test on it. If you're worried that it looks too small, don't. It's easily as big as the bmw. It won't be breaking any land speed records, but no 650 trailie will. It's a great bike for the twisty roads like sally gap. I think it looks a lot better than the bmw, and build quality on an old one will definitely be better than on the beemer of a similar year.
    Just make sure you keep an eye the oil and it'll go forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sorry about the length between my reply...

The only thing Id critique it on is it looks kinda small from the photos. That just me or ?

You would be still be able to restrict the F650 though if you had your heart set on one.

galwaytt wrote: »
    F650 is probably one of the most learner-friendly and restricable bikes you can buy. BMW have been making learner-legal bikes a lot longer than most:

Yeh I totally forgot about restricting it...Hehe. Well thats my mind set Id say. Ill keep you all posted. Thanks for the help!

Yeh I totally forgot about restricting it...Hehe. Well thats my mind set Id say. Ill keep you all posted. Thanks for the help!
    I sold my Dakar during the week. If you're interested in getting one be prepared to act quick. I could have sold that one 5 times over in a day.

Its really easy to restrict. Just a matter of changing a bracket. You can pick up the bracket for about a tenner from Motorworks in the UK.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I sold my Dakar during the week. If you're interested in getting one be prepared to act quick. I could have sold that one 5 times over in a day.

Its really easy to restrict. Just a matter of changing a bracket. You can pick up the bracket for about a tenner from Motorworks in the UK.

Id say it could be mid summer by the time I have the cash. Dont really wanna sell my first bike so ill be starting from scratch getting funds =/

Alot of people say its better to wait till winter to pick up a bike ? does this have any truth too it or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

well i sold my f650 to the first caller after 20mins on done deal, 2 weeks before xmas, no haggling just paid my asking, i bought the new bike 3 days later off done deal, been watching the prices coming into the slightly warmer weather on both types and not noticed any increase tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4749716

Boom...there ya go OP, tempted on that one myself

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4749716

Boom...there ya go OP, tempted on that one myself

Why oh why oh why did you have to throw this infront of me :p

Not really a huge fan of the chequered flag decal to be honest though

On a side not was talking to my dad today and he rekons the regular F650 would be too small for me(Im 6ft3), I was under the impression that the Dakkar is a little taller anyways so was planning on going for that model. What do people think ?

• Advertisement

you could fix that!

TBH if my shadow was sold id be all over it. Mailed him to see if he would exchange...shock horror he wouldnt :P

http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/other-bmw/2005-bmw-for-sale/2681740

I found this one as well. Looks to be in pretty good nic and well looked after!

http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/other-bmw/2005-bmw-for-sale/2681740

I found this one as well. Looks to be in pretty good nic and well looked after!
    Big money. You'd get a 1200 for that..

On a side not was talking to my dad today and he rekons the regular F650 would be too small for me(Im 6ft3), I was under the impression that the Dakkar is a little taller anyways so was planning on going for that model. What do people think ?
    I've never been on a 650gs, but the seat height on it looks very low. Surprisingly low.
    I drive a 1200gsa and park it beside a 650 every day, so I'm just judging from that.

Very little height difference between the Dakar and the 1150GS.

Would the 650 beside yours be lowered?

It's not the dakar, just the standard 650gs. It looked so handy to throw the leg over compared to the big gs.
    The dakars are pricey, I reckon if I was going to go that far and have it restricted, I'd go for the 1150 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

well i'm 6ft and my legs were straight down, feet flat on the floor on my 650st on my triumph trophy they are slightly bent.....

Just a quick update on this for all interested.

Was talking to my dad over the past week and he mentioned an 86 Honda XL600R he had lying about that he didnt want and said I could have it. Picked it up a while ago. Needs a new tank,seat and front break calipers. Not bad considering Im getting the actual motor for free.

However before any of that was done I decided to give a few places a call too see what the story was with insurance. I tried Liberty (The company im insured with at the moment). They refused to quote me for it stating Id need to be over 21 and have a full licence for at least a year.

Next I went onto AON. The extremly loud background noises combined with my past experiences and their ridiculous quote has made me loose all faith in them. The end quote was over 8000 euros which is of course, ridiculous.

So now Im in a tight spot. I really want to try and get my full A2 under my belt before the summer is out. But, Ill be needing a new bike + some lessons before I even look at booking it.

So what to do now guys ?

I can assume that the insurance was so high because of my age as well as the size/style of bike im looking for. The obvious answer would be to move to a smaller size CC bike, but Id still need to maintain the style of bike if I want it to be comfortable for me. The only one Im even aware of is the Kawasaki KLE500 which to be honest, Im in love with, but my dad rekons they ride like a pile of crap.

So I dunno I guess im just looking for suggestions as to what other people would do ?

• Advertisement

Just a quick update on this for all interested.

Was talking to my dad over the past week and he mentioned an 86 Honda XL600R he had lying about that he didnt want and said I could have it. Picked it up a while ago. Needs a new tank,seat and front break calipers. Not bad considering Im getting the actual motor for free.

However before any of that was done I decided to give a few places a call too see what the story was with insurance. I tried Liberty (The company im insured with at the moment). They refused to quote me for it stating Id need to be over 21 and have a full licence for at least a year.

Next I went onto AON. The extremly loud background noises combined with my past experiences and their ridiculous quote has made me loose all faith in them. The end quote was over 8000 euros which is of course, ridiculous.

So now Im in a tight spot. I really want to try and get my full A2 under my belt before the summer is out. But, Ill be needing a new bike + some lessons before I even look at booking it.

So what to do now guys ?

I can assume that the insurance was so high because of my age as well as the size/style of bike im looking for. The obvious answer would be to move to a smaller size CC bike, but Id still need to maintain the style of bike if I want it to be comfortable for me. The only one Im even aware of is the Kawasaki KLE500 which to be honest, Im in love with, but my dad rekons they ride like a pile of crap.

So I dunno I guess im just looking for suggestions as to what other people would do ?
    Ring liberty again. Don't ask for a quote, tell them you've changed bikes already. They'll insure you.

Advertisement