Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Jelly

Options
  • 06-03-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I managed to get my hands on some of this for use in a cheesecake. The recipe calls for non-vegetarian jelly to be melted with a couple of tbsp of boiling water. Can anyone advise on whether I can just add a boiling water to the vegetarian stuff a little at a time, or is it more temperamental to work with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

I used some before to make jelly-shots and from what I remember it was a bit temperamental alright but that may be because I put in too much Jelly mix.

The one I had came with four sachets of powder. The instructions basically said you heated your flavoured liquid of choice (as the powder had no flavour) and added the sachets (number of which depends on the volume of liquid) when it came to a boil.
    You then had to stir until the powder dissolved and heat for a further few minutes and then allow it to cool and pop in the fridge to set.

What I'd advise is if possible don't put in too much as it sets up firmer than normal jelly, or at least mine did anyway. I had added two sachets and when it began to cool it seemed runnier than normal jelly so I lobbed in an extra sachet. As a result the finished product was very rubbery so air on the side of caution if possible.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy your cheesecake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Out of curiosity where did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

I got mine in Tesco it's made by Dr. Oetker and is called "Vege-gel". In my local Tesco you can find it in the home baking section beside where they sell gelatin and baking powder etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

thanks for the advice Staff Infection, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Dandelion, I've seen it in some Tescos, but I got a package of flavoured stuff in a coop in Newmarket Square in the Coombe.

Advertisement