Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Marine Search and Rescue

• 06-03-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all,

Waterford Marine Search and Rescue is a registered charity CHY 19507. The overall objective of the Waterford Marine Search and Rescue unit is to provide and organize Search and Rescue on lakes, Rivers and Tributaries in Waterford City and County 24- Hours a day, 365 days of the year.
    To advance through training and education, the level of skill necessary to carry out Search and Rescue operations and to co-ordinate with other rescue organizations. And reduce the loss of life.

The Waterford Marine Search and Rescue also operates a Night Parol system on the quays of Waterford City. Since the establishment of the night patrol system in 2010 to date, 15 people have been rescued from the water and another 49 people have been directly or indirectly talked down from the railings.

The organisation also operates Swift White Water Rescue, Rescue Kayaking Teams, Suicide Prevention, monitoring and maintanace of Ring-Bouys.

As with any voluntary organisation, it is completely dependant upon donations and funding from the public to survive. Please log onto and like our facebook page and show support for this charity, feel free to browse our page and have a look through our many photographs.

http://www.facebook.com/waterfordmarinesearchandescue

Any questions feel free to ask either here or on the facebook page,

Thank You for your Support

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I'm just curious as to whats the difference between Waterford Marine Search and Rescue, & Waterford River Rescue.

I understand both of you are tasked to incidents in the river, but what else is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Burtchaell

Waterford Marine Search and Rescue provides all of the services outlined above. We will not comment on any other rescue organisation. We all carry out great work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Burtchaell wrote: »
    Waterford Marine Search and Rescue provides all of the services outlined above. We will not comment on any other rescue organisation. We all carry out great work.

Would I be right in saying ye are the not the "declared Resource' for Waterford?

As in Waterford River Rescue are the CRBI unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cbwex

Waterford Marine Search and Rescue do fantastic work, and it's because of them that we have set up Wexford MarineWatch. We are all fighting this battle together. Thanks guys. Conor, Secretary for WMW :-D Keep up the great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yaxihy

Hooch wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying ye are the not the "declared Resource' for Waterford?

You would be correct in saying that.

Waterford City Fire Service also have a boat moored on the river and conduct river rescues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Yaxihy wrote: »
    You would be correct in saying that.

Emmmm.....thats all I need to know so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Hooch wrote: »

Are CRBI units part of the RNLI or are they independent from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yaxihy

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Are CRBI units part of the RNLI or are they independent from them?

They are independent of the RNLI, but they operate as a "declared resource" of the Irish Coastguard

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Seems like so many different resources all doing very similiar jobs all under differing chains of command...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Surely there is a waste of resources having so many different organisations doing the same thing. Word on the street is that some were only setup due to rivalry/disagreements between people within other org's, which would be a shame if they exist for the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement

I honestly see nothing wrong with an abundance of resources. If they can dispatch 2 boats in the event of something happeneing, then great.

Its similar to how maybe 2 or 3 lifeboats may be sent out to a ship in distress, alongside a helicopter.

Its how it works in the US. You may have several different ambulance companies. The closest one is dispatched, and usually more than 1.

I'd hardly deem it a "waste".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Just out of curiosity, If someone rings 999 and reports a problem at the river, does the dispatcher send the helicopter and all the rescue groups? As in, is there a list that the dispatchers have in order to send all available assets once Waterford and river is mentioned?

Trotter wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, If someone rings 999 and reports a problem at the river, does the dispatcher send the helicopter and all the rescue groups? As in, is there a list that the dispatchers have in order to send all available assets once Waterford and river is mentioned?

I dont live in Waterford nor am I associated with any of the ES there, but from what I have seen, usually its the whole shop that goes out. As in, I see Helicopter, Fire brigade, Rescue boat (not sure which ones), Gardai and Ambulance. I think the Civil Defense may get sent out too, maybe to walk up and down the quay edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

I honestly see nothing wrong with an abundance of resources. If they can dispatch 2 boats in the event of something happeneing, then great.

Its similar to how maybe 2 or 3 lifeboats may be sent out to a ship in distress, alongside a helicopter.

Its how it works in the US. You may have several different ambulance companies. The closest one is dispatched, and usually more than 1.

I'd hardly deem it a "waste".

Well said, it' the same as Order of Malta and Red Cross. Both work side by side successfully and do very similar work. Diversity of resources.

Anyway, citizens giving their time freely for the good of the community should be encouraged, not told 'you're doing it wrong'.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

The more charity organisations the more equipment, jeeps, collection buckets etc needed amd less money to go around. Surely seems more efficient to have one organisation doing the job and doing it well with everyone under one chain of command.

Torpedo wrote: »
    The more charity organisations the more equipment, jeeps, collection buckets etc needed amd less money to go around. Surely seems more efficient to have one organisation doing the job and doing it well with everyone under one chain of command.

The problem with that is that if a person in command decides his/her organisation needs a certain piece of equipment but his/her fellow commanders think they do not then that does cause splits and arguements. It has happened I have seen it, and while one organisation was out helping people the other organisation was left twiddling it's thumbs because they thought they were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Torpedo

You're going to have difference of opinions all the time in organisations, creating break away groups weakens all the groups concerned. You have towns around Ireland with 4 SAR groups, madness as some don't get on and the guards have to deal with all the different organisations and all the egos that go with it.

Torpedo, it might make sense to accountants to have just the one, but there's an adage in the Emergency Services

"Better to be looking at it than for it"

Better to have something you don't need, than need something you don't have.

If there's people & resources there to fill a role, then get the role filled. If the role doesn't exist, then eventually the volunteers will finish up & either move to another organisation or bring their skills to their day jobs.

Far more important that whoever's there is able to do a meaningful task than beancounting to see who can keep their change in their pockets.

Torpedo wrote: »
    You're going to have difference of opinions all the time in organisations, creating break away groups weakens all the groups concerned. You have towns around Ireland with 4 SAR groups, madness as some don't get on and the guards have to deal with all the different organisations and all the egos that go with it.

But as I said, if the big chief says they don't need something while other people say they do then what happens then? Not everyone will agree all the time. And as long as they are doing it for the right reasons then let it happen. The people who are doing all the hard work would be out no matter what name is on their shirt.

Advertisement