Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent HR Consultant "interview"

Options
  • 06-03-2013 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

An Independent HR Consultant is coming to my workplace next monday. We were told it was because of the tension and atmosphere in the job. People jus don't get on with each other which has led to a huge amount of ratting on each other - she was late, she left early, she gets away with etc. etc. But the manager here is a bully and what i would call the main instigator and is causing a lot of this tension with her mind tricks - telling me people they will be let go, or she hides a journal in her room and documents everybody's comings and goings and this will be used against them or that the bosses have a system and they are recording everything we do on the computer. With this HR Consultant - do i go in all guns blazing and tell her how it is and give her the ugly truth about the place or should i be political when i am being interviewed? Anybody any experience of this?:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Tricky one this. Given the poisonous atmosphere in the workplace, I'd play this one very carefully. There's nothing wrong with telling the truth, but you MUST choose your words carefully, and pick which aspects you want to focus on.

What I'm trying to say is you can tell the truth, but name no names and weigh up what you say. I would not put anything in writing either.

Lastly - if you can find something else? Leg it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Be honest about it but don't be giving anybody any potential ammo to use against you either.

Also start looking around for other jobs, sounds like a horrible place to be working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 supershy

thanks folks. i was thinking that i would be choice with my words because i know people i work with will go in to their meetings with a very bitchy almost childish approach to it and a report is going back to bosses about everybody's grievances. As far as i am concerned - i have my own office, i shut my door, do my work and go home. i don't talk to anybody - bit sad i know but i just got so fed up the other people in the office.

i went for about 20 interviews over the last 8 months or so and got nothing...i still look every so often.

Can't wait for monday !!

supershy wrote: »
    thanks folks. i was thinking that i would be choice with my words because i know people i work with will go in to their meetings with a very bitchy almost childish approach to it and a report is going back to bosses about everybody's grievances. As far as i am concerned - i have my own office, i shut my door, do my work and go home. i don't talk to anybody - bit sad i know but i just got so fed up the other people in the office.

i went for about 20 interviews over the last 8 months or so and got nothing...i still look every so often.

Can't wait for monday !!

Jaysus don't say that whatever you do! That would draw FLAK not seen since the London skies circa 1941 on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I would say tell the truth, but do so in a professional and factual manner. Leave emotion outside of it, other than perhaps to mention that certain situations made you uncomfortable/ unhappy.
    The way to avoid being bitchy is to make sure that you appear fair and can detach emotion from it - bascially make sure you don't look like you have a persecution complex or that you are passing on hearsay from others. don't mention anything which you were not a direct party to.

If you have firm examples of things that were said/done then I would not be afraid to list them - however I would be inclined to hold back a bit on this information until I see how things play out with this consultant.

Perhaps just say that the atmosphere has made it an unpleasant work environment and that you would like to see changes in x/y/z policy.

Offer solutions to the problems - again this shows that you are not just there to sling mud, but can offer some solutions to some of the difficulties.

And finally, if it were me, in the initial meeting I would do as above, but would be quite guarded about giving names. I would even preface the meeting with the consultant by saying, 'I am happy for an independent view to come into the situation, and I am really optimistic that this could have a very positive outcome. However, I am sure you will appreciate that until things change I have to continue to work here, so at this stage, until I can see how things are progressing, I won't be giving names or too many specifics. However I am happy to give you an overview of my personal feelings about working here and some examples of things which I find particularly difficult to deal with'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Agree with a lot of what Ted says it is an opportunity in a way. I would be very positive about the external HR person and generalistic about what is going on. State that you are aware there is negativity in the office but you are not but hope that it can be resolved and hope everyone can move forward and work together etc etc. I wouldn't name names, but suggest that procedures where everyone knew where they stood could help and a clearly defined grievance procedure which people could go through if there was a problem.

Be seen to be part of the solution and acknowledge the company are addressing the situation (too political?)

I suppose the best way to go about it would be to say something like:

There is a problem with X, in my opinion. Y is a potential solution to this problem.

Basically don't mention anything you have a problem with without having a potential solution to it in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 supershy

Thank you and a special thanks to Ted - i will be using some of your words :) I know now how i will approach this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

supershy wrote: »
    Thank you and a special thanks to Ted - i will be using some of your words :) I know now how i will approach this.

You are more than welcome! *puffs out chest, feels very important and saunters away* :)

Advertisement