Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price inconsistencies in Homebase, Drogheda

Options
  • 06-03-2013 4:14pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wanted to post a quick message to check if anyone else had the same experience in Homebase, Drogheda recently.

Twice in the last week, I've been drastically overcharged on something. Both times I managed to catch it before I paid, but it's something I fear will become a trend. First time was a box of nails, labeled at 2.50 and priced at the till at 7.50. That time they were nearly insisting it didn't matter what price it was on the label, it was scanning in at the higher price. Stood my ground and got them at the price advertised though (which I think they legally are obliged to give me).

Today it was something marked as 65€ and they tried to charge me €78. What I found interesting was as soon as I queried, the girl immediately apologized, didn't ask to check what it was on the shelves, knew it was 65€ and handed the money straight over.

I know twice can be a coincidence and three times is a trend, but I'd hate to see people ripped off cause they didn't catch the inflated price. I had incidents in other shops, mainly groceries, where they scan things through multiple times constantly, presumably so they pocket the money straight after you're gone.

But yeah....just wondering if others have had problems, and also warning people to check your receipt before you leave the cash desk...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80824018

I pondered the same thing with Woodies some months back... you have to be VERY vigilant in these places!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

... Stood my ground and got them at the price advertised though (which I think they legally are obliged to give me)...

Absolutely not!

I'm not going to type it all out again, but have a look at post #3 on the thread that Kormak linked to. I explained it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'd say easily 90% the time I've shopped in either Homebase or Woodies, at least 1 item has scanned differently to the advertised price. Sometimes I've spotted it and others I've missed. Even when you mention it about how regular an occurance it is you just get a blank look and a shrug of the shoulders. I try to stay away from either as much as possible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

This has happened to me several times in Woodies over the years but I've never been overcharged - always under.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Absolutely not!

I'm not going to type it all out again, but have a look at post #3 on the thread that Kormak linked to. I explained it there.

Huh...

Myth busted I guess :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement