Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting - so expensive!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I need to put up what I charge my lodger for rent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Is this another possible spoof ad or correct price for a studio in this area?

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/20795852?search_identifier=27df74d3805cc37360c4d7d63bdf7937

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

mossy464 wrote: »
    Is this another possible spoof ad or correct price for a studio in this area?

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/20795852?search_identifier=27df74d3805cc37360c4d7d63bdf7937

The age-old mantra applies - "if it looks too good to be true, it is".

RentRight.co.uk reckons average studio rents in N19 are more like £1600 (which seems crazy, and is likely a statistical blip) but 1-room apartments are north of £1100pm, and 2-rooms are north of £1500.

LondonPropertyWatch doesn't have current info for N19, but the last listing on the map view for Upper Holloway suggests that ~£1100pm is about right.

In saying that, the Government-sponsored London Rent Map claims that studio rents range from £650pm at the low end to £900pm at the high end.

There's a chance it might be legit, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. Looks like a honeypot to me.

Fysh wrote: »
    The age-old mantra applies - "if it looks too good to be true, it is".

RentRight.co.uk reckons average studio rents in N19 are more like £1600 (which seems crazy, and is likely a statistical blip) but 1-room apartments are north of £1100pm, and 2-rooms are north of £1500.

LondonPropertyWatch doesn't have current info for N19, but the last listing on the map view for Upper Holloway suggests that ~£1100pm is about right.

In saying that, the Government-sponsored London Rent Map claims that studio rents range from £650pm at the low end to £900pm at the high end.

There's a chance it might be legit, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. Looks like a honeypot to me.

Thanks,

Trying to find a place for 2 for 7 or 800.

Is this even possible? What areas should I be looking in?

Wont be moving over for a long while yet but just doing my research. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Thanks,

Like a one bed flat? You'll be doing extremely well to find one, and it'll either be a collapsing sh*theap or else probably not even in the city limits. You'll be ideally looking at a double room in a houseshare for that type of coin.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Like a one bed flat? You'll be doing extremely well to find one, and it'll either be a collapsing sh*theap or else probably not even in the city limits. You'll be ideally looking at a double room in a houseshare for that type of coin.

Hmm. Been looking at areas like twickenham and that general area.

Will have to reconsider the move by the sounds of those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You'll need to be in a flat/houseshare for that kinda money, you'll get a double room for 550-ish in west london.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Will have to reconsider the move by the sounds of those prices.

The going rate for a 1 bed place in Twickenham is about €1000 a month. Don't forget council tax too its one of the highest in London. Try get a place in Houslow or Wandworth borough. Cheaper rents and cheaper taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

That's a fairly expensive area - if you do find a flat there for £700-800, I guarantee it will not be fit for human habitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

For that price have a look at the likes of Turnpike Lane, you can get decent enough flats and houses there. Although the place can be a bit saucy, it's bang on the Picadilly Line and you can be in town in 20 odd minutes. It also has good bus links.

It has a bad reputation but I actually know a number of young professional types who have moved there in order to save a few pound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zippy1991

I have a mate who was offering a double room in Balham for 610 a month.
    He was offering it to me and my Girlfriend but we decided we wanted to get our own place instead. As far as I know he's still looking.

PM if you're interested.

• mossy464 wrote: »
    Thanks,

You won't find anything for that price anywhere in London, unless it's an absolute dump. You'd be lucky to find a studio for one person for that price, IMO. If house shares are an option, it becomes a lot more doable. Myself and my bf had a massive room in a houseshare in Zone 4 for 550 a month including bills, so under 300 each all in. Saves you quite a bit of money. We got sick of sharing with muppets and moved out, but if you could find someone sound to live with, it could be OK.

You won't find anything for that price anywhere in London, unless it's an absolute dump. You'd be lucky to find a studio for one person for that price, IMO. If house shares are an option, it becomes a lot more doable. Myself and my bf had a massive room in a houseshare in Zone 4 for 550 a month including bills, so under 300 each all in. Saves you quite a bit of money. We got sick of sharing with muppets and moved out, but if you could find someone sound to live with, it could be OK.

Cheers, Its a long way off yet so just doing my research but this thread has been an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I had a decent one bed in streatham a few years back for 800. Have you tried looking in tooting, streatham, norbury, tulse hill, west norwood, gypsy hill areas? May be possible to find something for that price. Not the nicest areas in the world but there are far worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

it is about time the government put a cap on rents in London, but I think they will not do this as too many of their friends are landlords and also they want to get rid of all the poor people in London to make way for bankers and very rich people from abroad like china.

Government has put a cap on the very poor that was getting rent allowance to 400 or 500 pounds a week, and those that are in very expensive places had to moved out of London due the rent allowance but maybe that is a good thing as the tax payer had to pay this money to landlords and that was keeping rents up in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Maura74 wrote: »
    it is about time the government put a cap on rents in London, but I think they will not do this as too many of their friends are landlords and also they want to get rid of all the poor people in London to make way for bankers and very rich people from abroad like china.

Government has put a cap on the very poor that was getting rent allowance to 400 or 500 pounds a week, and those that are in very expensive places had to moved out of London due the rent allowance but maybe that is a good thing as the tax payer had to pay this money to landlords and that was keeping rents up in London.

There was one time, resulted in very little private rented accomadation, luckly enough council flat where around.

• Playboy wrote: »
    I had a decent one bed in streatham a few years back for 800. Have you tried looking in tooting, streatham, norbury, tulse hill, west norwood, gypsy hill areas? May be possible to find something for that price. Not the nicest areas in the world but there are far worse.

It depends on the person, really. I wouldn't live in most of those areas. Streatham and Tulse Hill are largely OK, but all those areas are really grim at best and downright dangerous at worst. I really don't feel safe around there at all at night. There are lots of gangs there and it's not hard to get caught up in trouble. Most of my friends who live there have had quite a bit of trouble in one way or another. I think I'd rather just live outside London and commute in, but that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

It depends on the person, really. I wouldn't live in most of those areas. Streatham and Tulse Hill are largely OK, but all those areas are really grim at best and downright dangerous at worst. I really don't feel safe around there at all at night. There are lots of gangs there and it's not hard to get caught up in trouble. Most of my friends who live there have had quite a bit of trouble in one way or another. I think I'd rather just live outside London and commute in, but that's me.

Tooting bec is fine I think. A lot of people commute into the city from there. Streatham is in the process of being gentrified. Lots of nice little bars, restaurants and cafes opening up. Clapham/Balham has now become too expensive for people so they are looking in the areas close by. I dont have alot of experience of the other areas so you may well be right.

Playboy wrote: »
    I saw some really nice places around Streatham, Tulse Hill, Herne Hill etc. I think (very) generally speaking the further you get from a tube station, the cheaper rents are likely to be.

Maura74 wrote: »
    it is about time the government put a cap on rents in London...
    No thanks - you'll just end up with all the private rented accommodation falling into disrepair as landlords don't see the point in investing in its upkeep. Increasing the stock of rented properties would be a much better idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Housing in London is once again becoming a national issue. They're going to have to start creating a huge amount of council houses/apartments for both the working and the middle class. London's population is set to hit a scary 9million in the next decade!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

pajunior wrote: »
    Housing in London is once again becoming a national issue. They're going to have to start creating a huge amount of council houses/apartments for both the working and the middle class. London's population is set to hit a scary 9million in the next decade!

Planning my escape all ready. I can feel myself moveing out west soon. Like really west, Windsor seems nice and quiet.

Advertisement