Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin > London > LA - sufficient stopover time?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I've been pricing flights to LA in the summer, and the cheapest seem to be with British Airways which flies from Dublin to Heathrow (1 hour 35 minute stopover) then direct to LAX.

My question is, is 1 hour and 35 minutes enough time to get the connecting flight? What about US customs etc, doesn't that take ages or is that done in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

immigration and customs will be done at LAX (your first point of arrival into the US) since you are not flying direct from Ireland. Assuming your bags will be tagged through to LAX and you don't have to change terminals in LHR and traveling on the one ticket.

90 minutes is the MCT flights from Ireland to Intl via H'row. It will be tight but doable.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Hey OP. I did Dublin to Heathrow to Washington, DC in December with a 2 hour 20 minute stop over. I had to run through Heathrow and only just made it onto the flight. Granted, my first flight was delayed by roughly half an hour but that still would have given me an hour and 50 minutes. The thing is, you have to go through security again in Heathrow which took me a while. I'd say 95 minutes is cutting it very fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

1 hour and 35 minutes is not enough time, forget it. I go through this stopover a few times a year and anything less than 2 hours is dodgy, in fact 2 and a half hours is about right. You would be puting yourself under serious pressure. Immigration and customs is done when you land in LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

I've found another flight schedule which allows 3 hours at Heathrow, that should do the trick shouldn't it? Thanks for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

3 hours should be enough. Do you know what terminals you're flying into and out of? I flew into 1 and out of 5 with a 2hr 20min stopover. As I said I'd a 30 minute delay on the first flight and had to run through the airport but I still just made it. Providing there's no exceptional delays, 3 hours should be plenty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement