Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A7-oid

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I made a mistake last night. The oid was working great but thought the filler needed a bit of 'tidying up' using a screwdriver. Problem was that I didn't clean the screwdriver first and the wool was full of juice.......

Whatever the hell the juice extracted was rank altogether. Couldn't get rid of it either. Had to take the whole thing apart and wash it. Great that the bottom section is disassembleable.

Only 2 downsides from this is the airy draw and my post holes are off a bit. If there was a high quality SS device with this design I'd buy it. The spheroid is just way too expensive though.

It's much shorter than the Bulli as well so it's not constantly peeping out of my pocket.

Very strange......after a few fills a metallic or some other funky taste comes into this. Don't know what the heck is causing it. Thought it was something from the juice picking up some 'dirt' from a screwdriver the first time and washing and replacing the coil and wool seemed to fix it but it came back twice yesterday. Used Bulli wool yesterday evening and it came back again after a while. Checked the wire was snug and not touching anything and that the screws are tight but it comes back again. Maybe I should wash the whole thing in alcohol tomorrow in case it's some lubricant or other and the juice extracts it after sitting in it for a while?

Using it in dripping mode now and it seems to be fine. Handy that it doesn't leak on its side even in dripping mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

That wool is cursed, I'm telling ya ;-)

Heh heh...maybe.

I diassembled and boiled the whole thing up for a few mins, wool and all. New coil and wick and its working great again. One thing that I like on this thing is the narrow ID drip tip/feed tube. It concentrates the flavour and heat very nicely and I missed it when I was using the standard drip tip earlier.

Attaching the second leg of the coil is tricky though. The first leg is obviously straightforward and then position the coil over the airhole but its difficult to get the second leg into the hole without distorting the last turn of the coil. Maybe there's some trick or other to it but I haven't found it yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Yea the last turn on the second leg tends to pull the wire through distorting the coil a bit. I just try to go slowly turning the second leg, stop as soon as I notice it bite and pull.

Haven't tried A7-oid yet. Considering getting it or the Vision Eternity. I'm leaning towards the Vision Eternity right now. The only thing that puts me off about it, is it's apparent 'tight draw'.

Does the Vision Eternity have a tight draw? Is the Vision Eternity comparible to the Bulli? To me it looks like a Bulli A2-T from what little I know about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭P.I.T.A

illicit007 wrote: »
    Haven't tried A7-oid yet. Considering getting it or the Vision Eternity. I'm leaning towards the Vision Eternity right now. The only thing that puts me off about it, is it's apparent 'tight draw'.

Does the Vision Eternity have a tight draw? Is the Vision Eternity comparible to the Bulli? To me it looks like a Bulli A2-T from what little I know about it.
    No the draw is deffo not tight, just right for me, I thought it was going to be tight after watching P Bastardo's utube vid, don't know what he normally vapes with but the Vision's draw is perfik, he also states the flavour is muted, I have found it the best device for flavour I have used, perhaps he had a cold when making that vid and the 25/30 drops lasts me 2 to 3 hours before dripping again :eek: Don't think I could use a dripper that only takes 5 or so drops, the bottle would be in my hand constantly :mad:

Ordered a 2nd ET Vision yesters from TBS so I have a spare on demand when I'm away from home.

Edit: Never used a Bulli, drippers that need recoiling involving screws doesn't work well with me, another bonus of the ET Vision NO BLOODY TINY SCREWS TO DEAL WITH :)

illicit007 wrote: »
    Yea the last turn on the second leg tends to pull the wire through distorting the coil a bit. I just try to go slowly turning the second leg, stop as soon as I notice it bite and pull.

For me, I've always found the ego carts give a tight draw, even on the Bulli. Long way for the vapour to travel up through the sides of the cart and mouthpiece. Heat and flavour are reduced as well. Hard to beat a drip tip type set up of any sort IMO.

If somebody was to design a better tank to fit those type of atties, they'd make a few quid I'd say.

P.I.T.A wrote: »
    No the draw is deffo not tight, just right for me, I thought it was going to be tight after watching P Bastardo's utube vid, don't know what he normally vapes with but the Vision's draw is perfik, he also states the flavour is muted, I have found it the best device for flavour I have used, perhaps he had a cold when making that vid and the 25/30 drops lasts me 2 to 3 hours before dripping again :eek: Don't think I could use a dripper that only takes 5 or so drops, the bottle would be in my hand constantly :mad:

Ordered a 2nd ET Vision yesters from TBS so I have a spare on demand when I'm away from home.

Edit: Never used a Bulli, drippers that need recoiling involving screws doesn't work well with me, another bonus of the ET Vision NO BLOODY TINY SCREWS TO DEAL WITH :)
    Kiffy, have you(or anybody else) used the pre-coiled wicks for the eternity, just wondering if the silica tastes weird, I plan on rebuilding(eventually :-) ) but having the option is great for me and 5 for 6euro aint bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭P.I.T.A

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Kiffy, have you(or anybody else) used the pre-coiled wicks for the eternity, just wondering if the silica tastes weird, I plan on rebuilding(eventually :-) ) but having the option is great for me and 5 for 6euro aint bad.
    Yes I have bought the pre coiled wicks and they are fine, TBH I only bought them to have spare contact yokes for recoiling my own coils. The Silica wick is fine I don't notice any difference in that than the previous wick I got, but then I never managed to taste it much as could only manage a few puffs before the thing packed in :D

You will have no problems recoiling this dripper I haven't failed with one yet, and that comes from a bloke that couldn't coil a AGA T to save his life :mad:

The biggest problem I found with the ET Vision was judging the drops without flooding as different bottles have different size nossles, so I know use the same bottle and nossle the whole time for dripping (change juices if I wish when bottle gets empty) and I top up with 33 drops each refill and getting 3 and a half hours between topping up.

Hope that helps Mr C.

TBS is getting in ribbon kanthal and ordinary kanthal in the next day or 2, would ribbon be better than .2 kanthal in the a7, looking for about 1.8ohms (i think?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Don't have an a7, but from my experience with the ribbon kanthal, you would be better off aiming for 1.2Ω - 1.4Ω.
    At the same resistance, the round and the flat wire, are very different.

I use 1.4Ω - 1.6Ω for most of my .2 kanthal coils and 1Ω - 1.2Ω with ribbon, and I find they give me the same result. Aside from that, the differences between the two types of wire are minute to me.

The best thing about the ribbon is the ease at which is it to coil and a lesser chance of a hotspot, but if you've done a few coils before and have the hang of it, then that's moot.

If the space to work with the coil is small in the a7 than I reckon you'd be better off with the round stuff. It will be easier to add or subtract a wrap, and if you did want a 1.8Ω coil than it will take quite a few wraps with the ribbon wire.

Thanks again super, coil on the a7 is tiny (for me anyhow) might get both and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The 0.3x0.1 ribbon Kanthal has a higher resistance than .20 Kanthal.

37mm of 0.3x0.1 ribbon = 1.8ohms.

42mm of .20 Kanthal = 1.8ohms.

I would definitely say get the two to try, it's not like it will be waisted anyway. I have loads of both and will continue to buy both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if ribbon kanthal becomes readily available I might make another venture into the dark and frankly horrible world of genesis atomisers

maybe

grindle wrote: »
    The 0.3x0.1 ribbon Kanthal has a higher resistance than .20 Kanthal.

37mm of 0.3x0.1 ribbon = 1.8ohms.

42mm of .20 Kanthal = 1.8ohms.
    Cheers, so I would need 1 or 2 more wrap of .2 kanthal (5mm difference) to get the same resistance? But your aiming for lower resistance with the ribbon?

It's not an exact science as such, wick diameters and pole placements have to be taken in to consideration as well.

if ribbon kanthal becomes readily available I might make another venture into the dark and frankly horrible world of genesis atomisers

maybe

It is readily available! Also there's nothing that horrible in the world of genesis atomisers :rolleyes:

It takes patience to get it right the first time. But when you do there's nothing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I see ESI have a wick and mesh section, nothing there yet but you never know what they'll get for it.

I also see the UDT-L 510 has popped up in the Mod section. For the price, it would be a great backup device for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

maybe

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/diy/222-kanthal-d-wire.html

let the fun begin :eek:

Yippee, made my first coil + wick today! Used the GH method, .2 kanthal(4 wraps) + 2mm silica, made the loop way too big so I had to cut it down, ohms were bouncing all over the place at first but now seem to have settled at 1.7.
    Thought I was great getting 45 drops into the wool and a few more into the base but it just started gurgling, took it apart and the wool had droped down and was stuck to the coil, had to pull it off pretty hard(hehe), didnt seem to do much damage and is still working.
    Getting a weird taste of it though, not great at describing flavours but the only thing I can compare it to is natural yogurt????????
    Doing the pepsi challenge with the a7 and agr and the carto is beating it hands down. Got a severe dose of man flu but I dont think thats causing it. I also boiled the a7 so I dont think its residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I agree with you there Mr Chrome. I have not been able to get a dripper kicking the ass off my carto. I get a kinda 'taste' like you described from the silica wick. I go an Igo-L and A7 and setup both with the Silica wick and sure enough... the juice didn't taste the same. I could taste something else, an underlying taste. I was pretty sure it's the Silica since I'm getting it from two different dripping atomisers. I also have the man-flu right now so have gone off vaping over the past week, Can't do anything right now.

Have you tried it without the wool? Do you get the same taste without the wool?

Ya tried it as a dripper with the stock coil and wick and it was lovely compared to this, just opened it up there and there was a hot spot, started fiddling around with the coil, ohms started going crazy, open circuit??, closed circuit, 8 ohms, 4 ohms, 1.5 ohms, etc.
    Got rid of the hot spot in the end, but still the dirty smell, not vaping it, just have the air chamber off and smelling the vape.
    Now I smell burnt fruit bread!!! Told ya I was crap at describing tastes.
    Think there is either burnt wool on the coil or the silica has burnt.
    Diggin the name btw ;-)

Thanks Mr Chrome :cool: My theme song -> http://videokeman.com/ludacris/sticky-icky-ludacris/ :D

Try remaking the coil. I wrote to The Best Shop where I got my silica wick from, told him about my issue. He said they've tried many wicks from various sources and that's the best one they've found. He highly doubted the problem lay with the quality of the wick.

He said be careful not to wrap the wire coil too tight around the wick. This will hinder the flow of juice into the wick under the coil which could lead to the strange taste I was getting. I tried that and it seemed to help. Then I got man flu.

Yep, I think your right about the coil, doubt very much its the silica. I wound the coil pretty tight alright, kinda hard to do it loose, gonna make a new coil and might use a drill bit as some of guys here have mentioned, might leave it till tomorrow though as my head is wreaked with it!

Yip it's hard to get **** down when you've got the man flu. Woman just don't understand. I'll be waiting until next week I'd say before I start vaping properly again. :(

Dunno about this drill bit method, but I've heard of it before. Just not sure what it is exactly.

I use a straighten out large size paper clip, hold the wick on that, then I now more lightly wrap the wire around it, not super tight like I was before.

Actually I think the drill bit thing is for ss mesh, doo! Wrap the wire around a drill bit, twist out the drill bit and then put the coil over the mesh.(i think!)
    Saw the paperclip thing on utube alright, will try that next, cheers for that!

I'm using TBS wick and its good stuff. It's most likely your coil.

Double some 2mm wick using a needle as a splint. Wind 4.5 turns on the wick and insert the legs through the posts. Not easy to get the second leg through though. Make sure the coil is centred over the airhole and make sure the turns are spaced evenly.

I'm using it as a dripper rather than the oid most of the time.

• Advertisement

Cheers GH, deffo think I wraped the coil too tight, about the second post, I coppied the way the original coil was done but I dont think its right, first post the wire goes in from the coil side, on the second post it wraps around the post and then into the hole from the outside, thats where I got the hot spot but it stopped when I pushed the wire tighter against the post. Hope all this makes sense to ya!
    Also I think its a minor thing but the coil starts over the wick and ends over the wick making it pretty close to the air hole, I can wedge it up a bit but if I wrap it the opposite way(wire coming on and off the coil underneath) it might help?

Jesus I need to learn how to post pics.

Advertisement