Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

charging point for electric car

Options
  • 06-03-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Doing extensive renovations to house, including rewiring

Is there any point in getting a charging point for electric car installed

We dont have elec car, but wondering if it might be worth it for a few years down road ?

CAn this be done by electrician, or is it a case of getting ESB to do same, they want euro 1000 !

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

k123456 wrote: »

We dont have elec car, but wondering if it might be worth it for a few years down road ?

CAn this be done by electrician, or is it a case of getting ESB to do same, they want euro 1000 !

Thanks

EVs cost a fortune to buy.

Take 8 hours to charge.
    And the battery gets weaker and weaker the more you charge it.

Oh and not to mention that you cant even drive from Dublin to Galway without needing to recharge it.

Goverment will be taxing them very soon too.

Pointless waste of money.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks
    This is an interesting topic that you have raised.

I remember many years ago struggling to drill a 6mm hole in a 3mm thick metal bracket with a battery drill, it seemed like the drill was just a toy. However with the massive advances that have been made in battery technology that has all changed. Not may electrical contractors would be without an battery drill now. This is part of the reason that battery cars are now a far more viable option as well as the soaring prices of petrol and diesel.

I test drove a Nissan Leaf and was very impressed with the price, range, power and charging times (80% fast charge in just 30 minutes). This car has a top speed of 90mph which is well over the speed limit for a motorway.
    Electric cars are definitely the future.

I would suggest that you send an email to Gaeltec utilities and see what they have to say about installing a charging point in your home.

Please keep us informed as to how you get on.

You could always just run a cable from the DB to outside and leave it disconnected. If the time ever does come that you own an electric car, you'll have the cable in place to have have a charging point fitted. Future proofing and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2011 wrote: »
    This is an interesting topic that you have raised.

I remember many years ago struggling to drill a 6mm hole in a 3mm thick metal bracket with a battery drill, it seemed like the drill was just a toy. However with the massive advances that have been made in battery technology that has all changed. Not may electrical contractors would be without an battery drill now. This is part of the reason that battery cars are now a far more viable option as well as the soaring prices of petrol and diesel.

I test drove a Nissan Leaf and was very impressed with the price, range, power and charging times. This car has a top speed of 90mph which is well over the speed limit for a motorway.
    Electric cars are definitely the future.

I would suggest that you send an email to Gaeltec utilities and see what they have to say about installing a charging point in your home.

Please keep us informed as to how you get on.

Ive absolutely no interest in buying or using EV and they aint the way forward at all.

I drove a Nissan EV for a day,and never again is all I will say.

Thanks for your concern though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'd go with shaaane"s idea wouldn't waste my money on something that could well be changed or at the very least much cheaper by the time you might need it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ive absolutely no interest in a buying or using EV and they aint the way forward at all.
    I don't think that this is answering the OP's question.
    If you want to debate the pros and cons of EVs start another thread.

shaaane wrote: »
    You could always just run a cable from the DB to outside and leave it disconnected. If the time ever does come that you own an electric car, you'll have the cable in place to have have a charging point fitted. Future proofing and all that.
    Good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Good idea.

Yea shane`s idea is the way forward, I had that typed in myself earlier, and got distracted before submitting it.

The €1000 price will be for the complete fitting with charger most likely.

The installation will be a simple one for any electrician. But just the cable is for now is sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

paddy147 wrote: »
    EVs cost a fortune to buy.

Take 8 hours to charge.
    And the battery gets weaker and weaker the more you charge it.

Oh and not to mention that you cant even drive from Dublin to Galway without needing to recharge it.

Goverment will be taxing them very soon too.

Pointless waste of money.
    Absolute nonsense.

10 years ago, batteries in RAV4s were lasting 100,000 miles with little degradation.
    http://www.evchargernews.com/miscfiles/sce-rav4ev-100k.pdf

As said above, it can be 80% full in 30 mins and have a range up to 120 miles. (Nissan leaf).

Of course, this won't suit everyone. But that doesn't mean they won't be viable for alot of people who don't do huge mileage.

Battery technology is continually improving, and the cost of power electronic devices is also reducing all the time.

To dismiss it as not having a future is foolish and short sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks Folks, will get electrician on site to run cable

I am not electrician, so pardon my ignorance ;

What type (rating) of cable should be run

• Advertisement

Thanks Folks, will get electrician on site to run cable

I am not electrician, so pardon my ignorance ;

What type (rating) of cable should be run
    I don't know to be honest.
    If it was me I would be confident that a 3 x 4sq. mm cable would be sufficient assuming that the cable run is not very long.

It would be a good idea to have an isolation switch indoors. You don't want to pay for someone else's car being charged while you are on holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

cast_iron wrote: »
    As said above, it can be 80% full in 30 mins and have a range up to 120 miles. (Nissan leaf).

This is nonsense. Nissan quote 109 miles and that's probably best case scenario - flat road, no aircon or heating, 100% charge, new battery and the wind at your back.

Realistically, you'll see ~75 miles on a 100% charge:

http://www.casteyanqui.com/ev/capacity_scenarios/leaftool.pdf

The OP's question has been answered.

For those interested in debating the pros and cons of EV's feel free to start another thread. This is a very important issue regardless of your point of view.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement