Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brook Bridge, North Beach, Rush

Options
  • 06-03-2013 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭

Do we really need one? For generations sturdy Rush Residents have walked the North Beach and managed to cross the mouth of the Brook were it spills out onto the North Beach without drowning. In the last few years a campaign seems to have started to get a bridge built on the beach to cross this mighty River. First a practical person asked for a railway sleeper across the gap but with H&S that wouldn't be feasible but now this has escalated into a call for a foot bridge with concrete foundations:eek:. Thankfully the Council has no money to build at present but this seems a total waste of council time and resources IMHO because of lack of knowledge about local high tide times.

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

Cllr O'Connor seems to think that there is a demand for it because people "can't go to the top of the beach when the water and tides are in a particular way." So we build a bridge that is only needed realistic for part of the day. Surely a sign to inform walkers of the high tide times would be more sensible option rather than continually lobbying for a major construction project that would devalue from the beaches natural beauty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

+1

A small wooden bridge might not look too out of place, but a concrete and steel one would be a right eyesore IMHO.

The railway sleeper would just be nicked, but maybe 3 or 4 solid, heavy, flat topped stepping stones would be more appropriate?

Oh and a sign saying "Do not cross here if you have a serious aversion to possibly/maybe getting your shoes/socks/feet wet"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

+1

A small wooden bridge might not look too out of place, but a concrete and steel one would be a right eyesore IMHO.

The railway sleeper would just be nicked, but maybe 3 or 4 solid, heavy, flat topped stepping stones would be more appropriate?

Oh and a sign saying "Do not cross here if you have a serious aversion to possibly/maybe getting your shoes/socks/feet wet"

Same problem on the south beach too for walkers who run the risk of getting wet feet were the outlet pipe flows onto the beach. So will that be another bridge? Or is this North versus South?:D

If Cllrs are genuinely interested in improving access for walkers on the North Beach perhaps they should focus on the need for steps/stairs from the beach up onto the cliffs rather than the present near vertical muddy climb that walkers face. But that is something for when times are good again and the council can go ahead with the cliff walk plans and not a pre-election year headline grabber like the bridge appears to be turning into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

What has been suggested by 1 local I know is a small wooden footbridge to go accross about an 8 to 10ft span. Simple structure which would not cost much. Some days I believe its awkward to cross especially after rain and at high tide. It can be tricky to get across if you have small ones with you or for elderly people.

But hey we got 100mtr of new footpath out at cricket club so most likely nothing done in these parts for a while now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.........escalated into a call for a foot bridge with concrete foundations:eek:.
    ............Cllr O'Connor seems to think that there is a demand for it because people "can't go to the top of the beach when the water and tides are in a particular way."
    "sighs"

This sort of crap makes me want to crawl into my wheelie bin and die! In these times, has David O'Connor nothing more important to concern him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

"sighs"

This sort of crap makes me want to crawl into my wheelie bin and die! In these times, has David O'Connor nothing more important to concern him?

Footpaths, street lighting and verge trimming make pretty boring headlines so I guess the Foot Bridge is a good local paper headline.

It's almost comical if you watch the Balbriggan Area Meetings at times. They all seem to have divided up the various areas of the Ward between them and when someone oversteps into the others patch it gets pretty heated and childish. Rush because it has no Councilllor that is a resident seems to be shared between Ken Farrell and David O'Connor with Ciaran Byrne sticking his head in the odd time only to be snapped at by his party colleague Farrell:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement