Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Q bar closed down ?

Options
  • 06-03-2013 6:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if Q bar has closed down or if its just temporally closed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

As far as I know it still open but under a new name and its a cafe/bar type place. No nightclub downstairs anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my father in law and his friend used to meet there for coffee every saturday, however they couldnt last saturday as it was closed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Just passed it, it's now the "Carlisle Cafe Bar"

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

The Master wrote: »
    Just passed it, it's now the "Carlisle Cafe Bar"

its been called that for a while now, at least a year.

was it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 masheener

I believe Q Bar and Messers are gone. Banks Yoink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

masheener wrote: »
    I believe Q Bar and Messers are gone. Banks Yoink.
    Messrs as well?jeez, I liked their own ale

no, messers is still open.I think it has maybe had to change its name but it is still open.

don't know about Carlisle/Q bar though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Messrs was taken by the banks a few weeks ago, didnt close, just name remove.

Don't know about qbar, but can we keep speculation to a minimum please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

MarkMc wrote: »
    Messrs was taken by the banks a few weeks ago, didnt close, just name remove.

Don't know about qbar, but can we keep speculation to a minimum please.

Isn't Messrs and Qbar owned by the same people ?

Jumboman wrote: »

Isn't Messrs and Qbar owned by the same people ?

They were, ownership gets very hazy when receivership comes about

Also, afaik they were rented to different people, so different lease agreements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

It closed Monday week ago,the lease was up and the andlord didn't keep it on. It hasn't been called q bar for the last year,it was carlise bar...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Messrs is now called Sweetman and Wolfe

flas wrote: »
    It closed Monday week ago,the lease was up and the andlord didn't keep it on. It hasn't been called q bar for the last year,it was carlise bar...

Passed it today they still have a big Q on the front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

John Mason wrote: »

Yeah repainting the entire front as well at the moment. I wonder will they keep their in house brewery going too?

liffeylite wrote: »
    no, messers is still open.I think it has maybe had to change its name but it is still open.

don't know about Carlisle/Q bar though.

Not surprised they closed Q but kept messers open, I've often being in Q bar and it was half empty then walked across into messers to find it packed out.

John Mason wrote: »

I like the name messers better I hate when they change the name of a pub for no reason. Like when they changed the name of Panama to some generic Irish name which I cant remember.

I like the name messers better I hate when they change the name of a pub for no reason. Like when they changed the name of Panama to some generic Irish name which I cant remember.

It wasn't for no reason, the previous owner owned the name and wouldn't let them use it afaik. Fyi theres a seperate thread for Messr's

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tommea

q bar re opening 4 sept will be called river bar new owners

tommea wrote: »
    q bar re opening 4 sept will be called river bar new owners

Do you have a link for this story?

I passed qbar today it looks like they are doing up the place.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

I passed qbar today it looks like they are doing up the place.

Used to like going in there for a late, late pint during weekdays. Haven't been there in a few years now, living abroad now. What other bars in the city centre have closed or been changed?

Caonima wrote: »
    Used to like going in there for a late, late pint during weekdays. Haven't been there in a few years now, living abroad now. What other bars in the city centre have closed or been changed?

Surprisingly few. Considering the recession etc, when you actually look at the bars that were in the city centre in the boom times, say from 2002- 2007. There are actually hardly any that aren't open anymore.

The only ones I can think of are Sin e, kobra, Zanzibar, the vaults and radio city. The temple theatre too but I think that was for structural reasons.

When I say still open, obviously some of them have changed hands but there is still a bar there.

however, despite these closing, there have been plenty of new bars opened since 2007. Bigs bar, Koh, workmans club, everleigh gardens, club underneath samsara, sahara, the Avenue on parnell square, Lafayette, café bar H, not to mention the new hotel bars that have opened etc.

I would say there are actually more places to go out in the city centre than there were during the boom times. And there are without doubt more restaurants. Who would have thought that in the midst of a recession.

Interesting, isn't it.

liffeylite wrote: »
    Surprisingly few. Considering the recession etc, when you actually look at the bars that were in the city centre in the boom times, say from 2002- 2007. There are actually hardly any that aren't open anymore.

The only ones I can think of are Sin e, kobra, Zanzibar, the vaults and radio city. The temple theatre too but I think that was for structural reasons.

When I say still open, obviously some of them have changed hands but there is still a bar there.

however, despite these closing, there have been plenty of new bars opened since 2007. Bigs bar, Koh, workmans club, everleigh gardens, club underneath samsara, sahara, the Avenue on parnell square, Lafayette, café bar H, not to mention the new hotel bars that have opened etc.

I would say there are actually more places to go out in the city centre than there were during the boom times. And there are without doubt more restaurants. Who would have thought that in the midst of a recession.

Interesting, isn't it.

Jaysus, you're a wealth of information :)

Of the ones that've changed, I'd only miss Sin e, used to like that place, too. Nice vibe, although maybe a few too many hipsters.

What about Fibbers? Still there?

Not surprised that there's less restaurants there... price of going out for dinner in the boom times was mad. How much for a pint of Guinness now?

Fibbers on the quays is gone now. Parnell Street is still open

Mr Simpson wrote: »

Fibbers on the QUAYS????? What's that? I've been gone from Ireland since around 2009, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Mr Simpson wrote: »

Aaaa the memories or lack of.used to hit there regularly in the mid/late 90s.excellent music.not for the faint hearted

mick121 wrote: »
    Aaaa the memories or lack of.used to hit there regularly in the mid/late 90s.excellent music.not for the faint hearted

Ahhhhhh, Fibbers. Used to love that place. No matter how bollixed drunk I was, or in what state I rolled up to the door in, they always let me in. Decent doormen, which is surprising when you consider the area it's in...

Ahhhhhh, Fibbers. Used to love that place. No matter how bollixed drunk I was, or in what state I rolled up to the door in, they always let me in. Decent doormen, which is surprising when you consider the area it's in...

It was surprisingly safe considering the look of the people.I remember getting a taxi home once and the driver said he always picked up there.never any problems with payment etc compared to some of the so called up market classey places

mick121 wrote: »
    It was surprisingly safe considering the look of the people.I remember getting a taxi home once and the driver said he always picked up there.never any problems with payment etc compared to some of the so called up market classey places

I just lived around the corner from there, in Mountjoy Square, so it was a hop, skip and tumble up Hill Street to get me home. And yeah, you're right, outside Fibbers was quite safe... I only ever saw one big row outside it, and it didn't even involve people from the bar, just some city centre teens running up and down the street throwing bottles and stuff at each other.

• Advertisement

I just lived around the corner from there, in Mountjoy Square, so it was a hop, skip and tumble up Hill Street to get me home. And yeah, you're right, outside Fibbers was quite safe... I only ever saw one big row outside it, and it didn't even involve people from the bar, just some city centre teens running up and down the street throwing bottles and stuff at each other.
    I'm feeling a bit sad now.they were good times.not many places with a dj in a cage.I really need a few beers and a good mosh ;)

Advertisement