Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Q bar closed down ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Some jobs????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Its back open now as "River Bar". They had a bouncer on the door today at 4pm I found that a bit unusual, do they really need bouncers in the middle of the day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Has anyone been?

I assume its more of a gig venue now than a DJ place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I was in there this evening - Messers was full and we'd noticed free tables in the window as we passed, so we decided to give it a go. It's not a metal bar, folks :P They were playing chart music while we were there (some of the same songs on repeat after a while =/) but there was a guy with a couple of acoustic guitars setting up in the corner as we left. It's a standard bar, nicely decorated, loads of space between the tables and music not too loud. There's a looong drinks menu (incl loads of beers and a couple pages of cocktails). Very few people in there tonight (mixed age groups), but I'd say people don't know it's open.

One of the bar staff told me it only opened yesterday and the club downstairs will be opening next week. The club looks really small (you have to pass through it to get to the toilets) but has been redecorated.

Glad to see it open again anyway, anything that creates jobs is a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Caonima wrote: »
    Yeah, I get a bit maudlin thinking about it, too. And Fibbers used to have that gorgeous Eastern European girl working there... forget her name, slim blonde one.

She's still there! Used to have great times in Fibbers but it's lost it's charm (and clientelle apparently) since they done it up. Granted, it's cleaner then it used to be but completely different atmosphere nowadays. Used to have our go-to spot in the downstairs section, completely changed now though, very dark and very loud, hard to have a chat anymore, the place is usually completely dead the odd time I go in there (but that's rare enough these days).

As for Q Bar, never did go in there, it always looked a bit too, well... blue for my liking. Was in the Carlisle once for a pint and to catch the end of a match, seemed like a nice enough spot but didn't last very long, think they kept the coffee dock bit open for a while after though.

Will have to have a look at it now it's open again, hopefully it'll fare better this time around. It's a very good location so you'd think it wouldn't be that hard to make it a success.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

grimm2005 wrote: »
    As for Q Bar, never did go in there, it always looked a bit too, well... blue for my liking. .

There always seemed to be gangs of early 20's lads in shirts fighting or staggering outside the place.

I was actually inside onec and there was a band playing...around a corner so that from most parts of the bar they werent visible.

It is a great location but it needs to make up its mind what it wants to be...it can be hard to nail a particular clientele or theme these days(rock bars excepted).

chopper6 wrote: »
    There always seemed to be gangs of early 20's lads in shirts fighting or staggering outside the place.

lol whenever prime time did a show on alcohol abuse in Dublin city centre they would always show people fighting outside q bar.

liffeylite wrote: »
    Has anyone been?

I assume its more of a gig venue now than a DJ place.

Was in there yesterday apart from new furniture it hasnt changed much from when it was last open . Also the downstairs part is still under construction.

The bar is now only on one level 2 years ago it had 3 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 neary2011

Its called river bar. Its nice still. Dey r doing up d niteclub downstairs. Hopefully its gonna be good

neary2011 wrote: »
    Its called river bar. Its nice still. Dey r doing up d niteclub downstairs. Hopefully its gonna be good

There is still no sign of the downstairs nightclub opening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

I think it's a horrible place, just really dark and sterile looking. Used to be the go to place when I was in my early 20s though, always packed.

Boldberry wrote: »
    I think it's a horrible place, just really dark and sterile looking. Used to be the go to place when I was in my early 20s though, always packed.

I liked it a lot better when it had 3 floors now its just has one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

That spot, from the river down Dolier St, just doesn't seem to work for any pub long-term. I remember it was a rough place going right back to when it was The Harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

sabat wrote: »
    That spot, from the river down Dolier St, just doesn't seem to work for any pub long-term. I remember it was a rough place going right back to when it was The Harp.

Q Bar hasn't been rough since Harp closed (about fifteen years ago) and Q opened and it was always busy whenever I was there. AFAIK the only reason it and Messers changed names was because they were both owned by Sean Quinn and were sold off when Anglo took over the Quinn Group.

sabat wrote: »

The Harp was rough alright. Me friend lost his virginity there in the toilets when he was 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

the skanger fights outside were grand entertainment when waiting for the Nitelink

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

On the top topic of the actual bar, had food in it a coupleof sSaturdays ago and it was delicious, just Bar food obviously, but very very nice. But even better than the food were the waitresses. Very friendly and very attentive and quick as well. Definitely some of the best customer service I've experienced in a bar for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Uriel. wrote: »
    On the top topic of the actual bar, had food in it a coupleof sSaturdays ago and it was delicious, just Bar food obviously, but very very nice. But even better than the food were the waitresses. Very friendly and very attentive and quick as well. Definitely some of the best customer service I've experienced in a bar for a good while

Yeah had food in it before Christmas and was pleasantly surprised, pretty good as far as bar food goes

Advertisement