Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

As I stated a few weeks back I'll only be picking 1 player in Europe and America each week.

Win or EW singles but always a fairly decent EW double.

Had Europe narrowed down to Jaidee and Meesawat this week and although any sensible head would be happy with the place double (had I picked Jaidee) I actually would have been devastated as I had Snedeker in America.

Think quite a few people collected this week. And a few people hit the bar. Good picking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Great shout on Perez, 100/1 wasn't he?

Yep Snedeker win @25/1 and Perez place @100/1 :)

Already looking forward to next week :)

I'm also noticing a few guys with good Augusta form have started this season well.

Schwartzel, Kaymer, Speith, Snedeker, Day, Rory and Bubba are only a few off the top of my head that have won or been placed already this season and guys I've backed for the Masters over the last few years.

I'll look into it more tomorrow (past masters performances and recent tour form) but already looking like the Masters could be epic this year.

Gona speculate some of this weeks winning in the ante post market for the masters gonna have a few quid on both Snedeker and Dustin Johnson.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Gona speculate some of this weeks winning in the ante post market for the masters gonna have a few quid on both Snedeker and Dustin Johnson.

I'd say these two are the players I've backed most over the last 2-3 years.

I don't see Dustin winning the Masters ever, whereas I think Snedeker has a chance of winning there.

I think Dustin is more liky to win the PGA if he is going to win a major.

• Advertisement

I'd say they are two of my most backed aswell and Dustin in particular has been kind to me and I have been on for all his wins in recent years iirc

I am eyeing up both for next week already, I don,t usually back guys to follow up but Snedekers game just looks so good this week

Yeah. Snedeker could be about to hit the kind of form that seen him win the fedEx and he was arguably best in the world around that time.

Had his injuries and looked a bit lost but that win will be a huge confidence boost.

I really think this season is shaping up to be very good. There are quite a few players who will see themselves as potential major winners and I haven't seen that over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Small e/w bets on Perez 100/1, baddeley 100/1 and garrigus 150/1.
    Win bet on furyk 40/1

Nice profit on Perez , furyk blew up big time Sunday

Going fur Shiv Kapur and Charl Schwartzel this week at 22's and 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

tomaussie wrote: »
    I'd say these two are the players I've backed most over the last 2-3 years.

I don't see Dustin winning the Masters ever, whereas I think Snedeker has a chance of winning there.

I think Dustin is more liky to win the PGA if he is going to win a major.

Completly agree dustin wont win masters but sneds could

• Advertisement

My two main picks for this week are both too short Johnson and chawrasia. Doubt I will back them singularly but might have to have a small double just in case.

To make matters worse one of the outsiders I like is 300s with firms I can't get on and 150s with ones I can gona wait and hope for a drift on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Initial thoughts for this week are:

Shiv Kapur and S.S.P. Chowrasia - Hero Indian Open

Aaron Baddeley, JB Holmes, Charles Schwarzel and Bill Haas

Need to reduce for my bet

redzerdrog wrote: »
    My two main picks for this week are both too short Johnson and chawrasia. Doubt I will back them singularly but might have to have a small double just in case.

To make matters worse one of the outsiders I like is 300s with firms I can't get on and 150s with ones I can gona wait and hope for a drift on him

So the price for the 2 players you fancy is too short to back singularly but ok to stick in a double , crazy logic IMO ,how many points difference are we talking about here?

So the price for the 2 players you fancy is too short to back singularly but ok to stick in a double , crazy logic IMO ,how many points difference are we talking about here?

only backing to relatively small stakes so backing Dustin to win @12/1 is a bit short for my liking was hoping for 20/1 but because he was my selection before prices came out I will still stick him in a €5 e/w double with SSP for interest as I most likely would have doubled them anyway if I had them in singles.

Have decided that I will back Chowrasia in a single after all as after having another look I think he is worth a bet at 33s. A couple of things happened to change my mind firstly when I looked first he was 25s and secondly after looking a bit more into it I actually liked his chances even more than first time round so instead on considering him for €5 e/w bet @25/1 I now fancy him as a €10 e/w @33/1

You will most likely find there will be little 'Logic' in some of my selections but that is what I like about golf betting everyone uses there own little criteria for making their bets and I do it for the fun of having 4 days of sport to follow, I just happen to make a few quid out of it aswell.

Fair enough I just couldn't avoid putting a few quid on the single bets to avoid the frustration of one possibly winning and the other nowhere to be seen.
    With no Rory involved the prices in the states in particular have been poor to say the least lately.
    This course suits bombers , job Holmes is an obvious choice but I don't like him myself, some fairly short hitters have done well here also, bit o value in Kk choi e/w maybe.

Fair enough I just couldn't avoid putting a few quid on the single bets to avoid the frustration of one possibly winning and the other nowhere to be seen.
    With no Rory involved the prices in the states in particular have been poor to say the least lately.
    This course suits bombers , job Holmes is an obvious choice but I don't like him myself, some fairly short hitters have done well here also, bit o value in Kk choi e/w maybe.

I try not get hung up on 'value' as I used to, but if he is a bet decent bet at 20s id still have a decent bet 16s but where do you draw the line? 14s maybe but prob just a win bet rather than e/w. So then what about 12s or 10's or 8s.

Also have very limited accounts I can use so mostly doing bets in shop these days so have to be more flexible than I was before as i could plan a bet on someone at 33's and by the time i get in he could be 28's so will just have to grin and bare it now whereas before if I felt the value was gone then I wouldn't back it.

I am fighting with myself and my own strategies at the minute but there is always gona be judgement calls either way. Abarkie above needs to make that judgement does he increase his usual output to back more than he usually does or does he leave one pick out and risk him winning. Unfortunately if we backed every selection we picked we would all be broke, whereas it wouldnt bother me (too much) to see Dustin win but id crack if double came in and hadnt a small bet on.

I try to make my selection before I know the prices.

I have missed out on winners over the years because my selection was 12/1 when I was expecting 20/1 and it's just not worth the pain.

Couple of weeks ago I liked Willet and McDowell and I plumped for Willet. I thought he would be a bigger price. When I pulled up the betting I seen they were both 16/1. I should maybe have backed McDowell but I made my decision before I seen the prices so I stuck to it.

It's very difficult trying to pick a potential winner AND factoring in value so I try and pick the winner now and accept whatever price I get.

I've added two players for the first time this season.

Very hard not to have a small bet on English and Holmes at 33's and 40's.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Gone DJ win and JB Holmes ew in the states

Rahman Siddikur and S Chikkarangappa (no idea who is he but a tipster suggested him of Twittier) ew in India

And a Holmes + Siddikur ew double

GL all

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Gone DJ win and JB Holmes ew in the states

Rahman Siddikur and S Chikkarangappa (no idea who is he but a tipster suggested him of Twittier) ew in India

And a Holmes + Siddikur ew double

GL all

Chikkarangappa is the outsider I was referring to above what price did you get?

He is 300/1 with some firms but only 150's with ones I can get on with, I am hoping for a drift to 200's. I will most likely go with him for FRL @150s anyway.

He won 5 times on the lesser tours last year and his recent form is impressive with a string on top 5/6 finishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Chikkarangappa is 200's at the moment with pp.

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Chikkarangappa is 200's at the moment with pp.

Good stuff! At least I know where the first port of call is after work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Yeah I got him at 200/1 on pp last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

gone wade ormsby 25s in india

Bets done

Chawrasia
    Marksaeng
    Chikkarranggpa (spelling)

Snedeker
    English
    Moore

Chawrasia/marksaeng doubled into the other plus Dustin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Have Dustin Johnson and JB Holmes backed ew. Think I'm going to back DJ for the next few tournaments, he looks to have come back in good form

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

Went Ormsby and leishman this week

No euro bets,
    Kk choi and matt jones e/w bets

Snedeker withdraws with the flu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Small punts on Garcia at 25's and Wiesberger at 45's.

Advertisement