Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Wagner about 50ft away, Holmes no more than 10ft, looking good....

It's all over! Holmes wins after a 3 putt by Wagner, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,321 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Holmes wins!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Thank you very much for the updates POTENTIAL and KEW.

Mad to think he won from 6 behind the leader with a bogey on his card.

My biggest win this season and I was so confident when I put him up but that was hard work.

Goodnight !!!

tomaussie wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the updates POTENTIAL and KEW.

Mad to think he won from 6 behind the leader with a bogey on his card.

My biggest win this season and I was so confident when I put him up but that was hard work.

Goodnight !!!

A win is a win. Well done.

• Advertisement

Hadley 100/1 E.W Top 5
    Piercy 125/1 E.W Top 6
    Stallings 275/1 E.W Top 5
    Hoffman 66/1 E.W Top 6
    Steele @75 Win Only

Piercy gave away a nice place finish for me, pretty disappointed.

Piercy gave away a nice place finish for me, pretty disappointed.

I feel yer pain a little. Had a few too many doing well into last round and just drift away.

Next week hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Must thank tomaussie. His confidence in Holmes made me stick a fiver on. Happy days. Gives me a few quid for the masters!

tomaussie wrote: »
    Eager to get a price on my 2 selections this week.

Had a winner and hit the bar a few times recently so excited about feeling very confident that I have this weeks winner.

I posted this last Monday when Holmes was 35's or 33's but I didn't get a chance to back him before the withdrawals so I only got 25's. Delighted with the win though.

Early thoughts for the Masters are that Jimmy Walker represents the best value at 25/1.

I've already backed Snedeker and Schwartzel a few months ago so Jimmy might be my only extra bet this week. Or at least until I do a bit more homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Lads anyone here use PayPal to deposit/withdraw? Can you tell me are withdrawals instant or is there a couple of days wait?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Lads anyone here use PayPal to deposit/withdraw? Can you tell me are withdrawals instant or is there a couple of days wait?

It's instant between Paypal and the site but can take 2-3 days to hit your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

Hey guys, I remember last year someone had a link to a site which detailed players course, and current form in a big spreadsheet. Any chance someone could forward it on again please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Hey guys, I remember last year someone had a link to a site which detailed players course, and current form in a big spreadsheet. Any chance someone could forward it on again please?
    That site is smartgolfbets.com but the us tour part of it has been moved over to a pay site,go to the blog and it explains more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

qwabercd wrote: »
    Tied 8th on his first start at Augusta last year was impressive- I actually really fancy him. I took him at 37/1 on betfair on Saturday and 33/1 on skybet early on Sunday (he had been cut by all the other firms).

Reed, Oosthuizen, Westwood and Casey the ones I'm considering this week. Will likely go with a single on Reed and 2 of the other 3 ew.

Nothing this week, Casey just missed out on ew place. Threw a bit on Wagner during the playoff too (drunkenly) when it was down to him and Holmes so a bit more down the drain.

First pick for Masters in Speith at 10\1.

Can't leave him out with form he is in and last years display plus he has come on few gears since then.

I have 20 names which need to be narrowed least 66% too.

Hope to have most my picks done by tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Augusta, a place where magic happens. Went with woods as my first pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

m1ck007 wrote: »
    Augusta, a place where magic happens. Went with woods as my first pick

it's a magic chiropractor he will need

First things first - Bubba Watson should be favourite.

I said I would try and pick winners this year (two so far and a few crossbars) and not worry about the odds but I'm moving away from that this week.

Jimmy Walker is my first bet at 25/1. I think there is very little to separate the top ten in the betting so Jimmy represents the best value.

I have backed Snedeker at various prices over the last few months and have another bet at 45/1 this week. I've felt for a while that Snedeker has the ability to win a major and I think the Masters and the US Open represent his best chances of doing so. I actually think the US Open is his best chance. I also think he is one of the golfers who is now fully focused on winning a Major as that is the next objective in his career.

I also sneaked in a bet on Schwartzel a few months ago when he was leading on a Saturday in South Africa. He finished that day 6 ahead but blew it on the Sunday and finished 2nd. I backed Charl the last time he won at Augusta and I had my eye on him for another so when he looked to hit form early season I pounced. He hasn't been great since but I think he can compete and 100/1 this week is decent value for a green jacket winner so I've had another bet.

This time last year I was sitting on my biggest ever stake for a golf tournament. The man that convinced me to part with my money was Jason Day. He is 16/1 this week and I'll be backing him again but not as aggressively. In hindsight I was stupid for backing him last year as he was coming back from injury and that tournament came too soon for him. He has finished 2nd and 3rd here in previous years and posted a top 20 last year even though his game wasn't perfect. Well he is in form now and I think the 16/1 is just about right.

My selections in order - Day, Walker, Snedeker and Schwartzel.

Best of luck to all with their picks !

Bubba is the obvious choice, I can't justify backing him he's just too short, same goes for Rory and Spieth I will just have to suck it up if any of those guys win.

I started doing bets for this a couple of weeks ago, utilising some new account free bets that I received. I managed to avail of some nice prices albeit some of my E.W bets are just top 5 because no offers we're in place at that time, thems the breaks.

Stenson 25/1 E.W Top 5
    Walker @ 65 win only on BF
    D.J 18/1 Win only
    Reed 50/1 E.W Top 5
    JB Holmes @85 Win only (his price drifted to 130 after I backed him, then back down to 55 after his win so I got it somewhere in the middle)
    Furyk 80/1 E.W Top 6

Mainly gone for big hitters with only Furyk a short hitter albeit he's extremely solid. They're my decent sized bets, I've had a few 2quid bets on the likes of Bradley, Haas, Mahan, Koepka all in the 100's except Koepka @95. Would really love a sweat so just threw these guys in just in case!

Good Luck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

So hard to narrow it down, especially when I don't think there is any real value in the favourites - even if they are more likely to win.

The only thing is, for Speith - in a match bet vs Rory I'd pick him virtually every time for this right now. So 10/1,11/1 vs 6/1 is pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Back________________Odds____Stake_____Profit
    James Hahn__________925____76.45___70,639.65
    Brooks Koepka_______88.42___70.84____6,193.06
    Morgan Hoffmann____378.6___44.18____16,684.12
    Stephen Gallacher____471.4___43.49____20,459.51
    Kevin Stadler________800.1___25.97____20,751.53
    Robert Streb_________826.9___25.18____20,796.92
    Brendon Todd________432.2___23.50____10,132.20
    Shane Lowry_________202.8___17.51_____3,534.29
    Louis Oosthuizen______76.09___17.15_____1,287.85
    Danny Willett________453.5____17.00_____7,693.20
    Ryan Palmer_________287.5____9.90______2,836.00

€371.17 invested, trying to get another €50 on Koepka at 110.
    Reasons are big odds, PGA winners, big drivers.
    Not much interested in US Masters experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

diomed wrote: »

Fairly bizarre them bets, gl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

diomed wrote: »

Only ones i can see there with any chance are Koepka and maybe Oosthuzen at a push. Hope i'm eating my words for your sake but alot of them name will be luck to even make the cut!! (Theres a reason they are big odds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

My Masters bets (very small amounts)

Par 3 contest: Padraig Harrington €1 @ 20/1 = 21

Outright all e/w
    Name_____Odds______Stake_____Return
    J. Speith________12.00______10_______78.75
    H. Stenson______19.00______10_______122.50
    R. Fowler_______23.00______6________88.50
    C. Schwartzel____81.00______2_______204.81

Would be lovely if they all finished top 6. Would even settle for 3 top 6 finishes :)

Outright
    Dustin Johnson win only
    Snedeaker e/w 6places
    Mahan win and place on exchanges
    Brendan Grace e/w 7 places
    Simpson small win only on exchanges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Hitting the post a lot in recent weeks - Stenson a few weeks ago when he seemed nailed on but 3 putted on 15 and 16, Kevin Na falling away when he was in contention and looking good for a place at least - and Phil last weekend when he was looking the most likely winner for 2 and a half days.

I was high enough on Stenson for this before he got sick, and I was high on Speith too, but he is too short for me now.

This week I'm liking the sounds coming out of Adam Scott - seems to be happy back with the old putter again, happy he is able to go somewhat under the radar with the switch and himself in general being ignored with the chatter centering around Speith and Mcilroy. Loves the course, former winner - had only been using the smaller putter for a month so the switch back won't bother him, he said it only took him 2 days and he felt right back in the swing of things.

Getting 20/1 on him with money back for 2nd or 3rd including ties, when his formline here reads T8-T2-1-T14 is pretty unbelievable. Even with the short putter he had a T4 at Doral this year which is a nice indicator of ones suitability for Augusta, even if we were never in doubt. Simply put, he is the best value option out of the favourites - all of whom have a legitimate claim.

My second bet is Sergio Garcia at 45/1. I don't like the prices of most at the top of the market and I think Sergio has the ability to contend with the best on his day. He has been quietly tipping along this year - nothing spectacular. He has a T-4 in February, and a couple of T30s or so since then, but I was impressed by him last week. He was going well until the putter went cold on the back nine on the final day, and even then it was probably the shot into the water that made him lose interest. He was T14 for driving accuracy and T15 for driving distance last week and those stats are very encouraging.

He is a player who has become a lot better with the putter in recent years and he ticks a lot of boxes for me here. With the exception of the back nine on Sunday, he was having a great week - even counting the 2 double bogies. He wasn't far off contending and it was a similar story a few weeks ago, where he would have won had he not gone bogey-bogey on his last 2 holes on Sunday, going from sole leader to missing out on the play-off by one. At Doral he was bang in contention at the half way point on Saturday - only to fall off, going 2 over for his last 10 holes. He was still in with a solid chance of a top 5, only for the final day 6 over round - which was among the worst in the entire field. His finishes this year are deceptive in that they don't tell the entire story.

I've been seeing encouraging signs all year, only he hasn't been able to put it all together. Yet. Since Sergio started improved his putting around 2010, his formline here is progressive (with the exception of last years missed cut) T45-T35-T12-T8. He also has finishes of 8 and T4 here, and I will excuse the in between years with the putting weaknesses he no longer has, for the most part. He seems in great spirits and I believe will draw inspiration from the fact that his deceased mentors birthday falls on the first day. He also is in the group with Fowler, who he always seems to play well with.

I may add on a small each way on Rickie - but it's likely I watch the first day before adding another pick, if I indeed add anyone. It's probably the most difficult to predict Masters in years - but I hope I've stumbled on two who'll at least keep me on the edge of my seat come Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I agree that my bets are a bit weird.
    I always back about ten and then watch them crash and burn.
    In my defence I backed Jonas Blixt at 420 in 2014, and Jason Day at 85 in 2013.
    I made money on Jason Day, but not on Blixt as the lowest he hit was 27s.
    Throw enough darts and one might hit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Any Irish bookies paying 7 places, in their stores? (not online)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 seanog_athlone

Anyone see the post this morning? Steve Palmer usually is spot on with his tips

• Advertisement

Anyone see the post this morning? Steve Palmer usually is spot on with his tips

Is he? I haven't paid much attention to him in a long long time but I never found him much use myself.

Advertisement