Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Looking like Rory might play:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/rory-mcilroy-to-play-practice-round-at-pga-host-whistling-straits-232035624-golf.html

If he was an actual footballer I doubt he'd be trying to come back that quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

WGC
    Rose
    Oostuizen
    Matsuyama

Barracuda
    Wilcox

Northern Ireland
    Hoey

Singles, Doubles and E/W Trebles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Had a look at Matsuyama but I really don't want to back multiple players again as I've fallen back into that habit recently. It's an expensive habit.

I think limiting myself to one selection has helped me get my few winners and close calls. It fine tunes the brain when you pick one player only.

I've even gone win only with a lot of bets too. All that said I'll probably have a saver on Matsuyama now that somebody else likes him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

redzerdrog wrote: »
    WGC
    Rose
    Oostuizen
    Matsuyama

Barracuda
    Wilcox

Northern Ireland
    Hoey

Singles, Doubles and E/W Trebles

Similar week for me,

WGC
    Oosthuizen
    Danny Lee

Barracuda
    Schniederjans
    Rodgers

Northern Ireland
    Hoey

Mix of singles, doubles and trebles e/w. All pretty small stakes.

my shortlist for the wgc was Rose, Oosthuizen, Matsuyama and Bradley

I was just gona go big on Rose but couldnt get away from Oosthuizen and Matsuyama the more I looked into it.

Given the quality of the field id be very surprised if someone over 33/1 wins it

Rodgers was also on the shortlist for Barracuda but as was said trying to cut down on selections and it can get costly if adding doubles and trebles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trouble in P

Ryo Isikwawa for the Barracuda, played well last week, he will win tour events in the future, hopefully at 66/1 he can give a sweat this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I think I'll take Louis to finish in the top 10 @5/2 - nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

On the same wavelength as a lot on here. We can't all be wrong eh? Ha!

Louis Casey and matsuyama all win only.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,316 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yep Louise at 25\1
    Stenson 25\1 both win only
    Kevin Na ew 150\1 with boyles

FRL Keegan Bradley 33\1ew

Rodgers 45\1 and Ortiz 80\1 in the other event both ew

Gl all this week

Ryo Isikwawa for the Barracuda, played well last week, he will win tour events in the future, hopefully at 66/1 he can give a sweat this week

Thanks for posting.

I was going to look at Ishikawa for the Bridgestone but as he wasn't listed I ruled him out.

Didn't realise he was playing elsewhere. I think he could be about to hit form.

Looks like I'll have my EW double this week after all !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Going with Louis for a Top 10 & Harrington a Top 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Haven't been able to put up much reasoning the last few weeks but have a bit of time now! Even though this is the longest par 70 on the PGA tour, I think it suits the door longer/straighter hitter than just an outright bomber. Bubba and DJ have struggled in the past here so I think (hopefully) you can overlook them.

Rose -- Hasn't won this year but a 2nd in the masters, T6 in the Open and T4 last week has him in very good nick. Has a couple of nice finishes here in the past and I think he'll be very motivated to register his first win.

Matsuyama -- I knew he was playing well this year but I didn't realise how well until you delve into his stats. In his last 11 events he hasn't finished outside of the top 23 and even more impressively, he has a 33% top 5 finish rate this year in total events.

Stenson -- I know he can be flakey at the best of times but he's 1st in Total Driving and 1st in ball striking on the PGA tour this year and if he can get that putter working I think he'll be a big danger this week and next week at the final major of the year.

In the Barracuda I'm going for Jonas Blixt at 50/1. He's a former top 5 player in previous majors and on his day (esp if the putter lights up) he must have a chance in this field. Him and an old favourite of mine, I'm hoping that David Toms can rediscover a bit of form and go close. He has a few top 20s this year and this is just a speculative shout on him at a decent 60/1.

On the three guys for the WGC, going to take them all top 10 as well. Best of luck folks.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Haven't been able to put up much reasoning the last few weeks but have a bit of time now! Even though this is the longest par 70 on the PGA tour, I think it suits the door longer/straighter hitter than just an outright bomber. Bubba and DJ have struggled in the past here so I think (hopefully) you can overlook them.

Rose -- Hasn't won this year but a 2nd in the masters, T6 in the Open and T4 last week has him in very good nick. Has a couple of nice finishes here in the past and I think he'll be very motivated to register his first win.

Matsuyama -- I knew he was playing well this year but I didn't realise how well until you delve into his stats. In his last 11 events he hasn't finished outside of the top 23 and even more impressively, he has a 33% top 5 finish rate this year in total events.

Stenson -- I know he can be flakey at the best of times but he's 1st in Total Driving and 1st in ball striking on the PGA tour this year and if he can get that putter working I think he'll be a big danger this week and next week at the final major of the year.

In the Barracuda I'm going for Jonas Blixt at 50/1. He's a former top 5 player in previous majors and on his day (esp if the putter lights up) he must have a chance in this field. Him and an old favourite of mine, I'm hoping that David Toms can rediscover a bit of form and go close. He has a few top 20s this year and this is just a speculative shout on him at a decent 60/1.

On the three guys for the WGC, going to take them all top 10 as well. Best of luck folks.

Went down at lunch to get the racing post and I see my three picks for the WGC are the exact same as them! I can confirm that I was not plagiarising even though it may look like it!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Stenson
    Bradley
    Holmes

Holmes FRL

All ew

Will probably add a couple in the Barracuda late

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Stenson
    Bradley
    Holmes

Holmes FRL

All ew

Will probably add a couple in the Barracuda late

Rodgers and Pampling both ew

skippymac6 wrote: »

Fair play for putting in the effort to write your reasoning. Wrecken this could be a great thread if a few more of us did the same every so often.

Rose won the Zurich this year aswell by the way but hopefully he picks up another win here

Fair play for putting in the effort to write your reasoning. Wrecken this could be a great thread if a few more of us did the same every so often.

Rose won the Zurich this year aswell by the way but hopefully he picks up another win here

I did it last season and brought me more luck. Think I will do give my reasons for selections from now on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

iIve added Matsuyama to my selections this week, reason is that everyone else is on him.

He certainly did! My mistake, hopefully he registers his second win this weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

This week, gone for:

WGC Bridgestone Invitational - Sergio Garcia & Henrik Stenson

Barracuda Championship - Jonathan Byrd & John Huh

Good luck all

• Advertisement

Have added Ishikawa in an e/w double with Rose only.

Also added the following frl
    Ryan Moore
    Jb Holmes

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trouble in P

Added Jordan Spieth at 12/1 yesterday. Hoping he comes out and blitzes the field today. Only 5 shots back

Had a big 2 ball acca scuppered by Zach Johnson equalling Speith's round yesterday -- That Zach fella is the bane of me lately!

Yep Louise at 25\1
    Stenson 25\1 both win only
    Kevin Na ew 150\1 with boyles

FRL Keegan Bradley 33\1ew

Rodgers 45\1 and Ortiz 80\1 in the other event both ew

Gl all this week

I remembered you had Danny backed for FRL but having found your post it was for last week. Can be hard to take when that happens.

tomaussie wrote: »
    I remembered you had Danny backed for FRL but having found your post it was for last week. Can be hard to take when that happens.

Ya its bit annoying. It's part of the game. Gotta just take it when it does. The only consolation is my FRL bets are usually small bets 3ew be kinda my Max and usually 2ew with 1ew for a outsider.

Stenson has given me outside chance, but I reckon winner comes from Top 2 now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 24 Hours From Tulsa

USPGA tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

what a shot lowry. huge win if he can close it out

huge win for shane. no reason why he cant win a major now. that was a quality field on a tough course.

Gambling aside some win for Lowry. Delighted for him

Ya its bit annoying. It's part of the game. Gotta just take it when it does. The only consolation is my FRL bets are usually small bets 3ew be kinda my Max and usually 2ew with 1ew for a outsider.

Stenson has given me outside chance, but I reckon winner comes from Top 2 now.

You would think.

The only players in the top 10 to shoot worse than even par on the final day were the final pairing.

Golf seems rife with this now.

It's all about picking a player 3,4 or 5 shots off the lead on the final day now if you're looking for a winner.

This is why Speith will win all in front of him over the next few years. He relishes the top of the leaderboard rather than fearing it.

• Advertisement

tomaussie wrote: »
    You would think.

The only players in the top 10 to shoot worse than even par on the final day were the final pairing.

Golf seems rife with this now.

It's all about picking a player 3,4 or 5 shots off the lead on the final day now if you're looking for a winner.

This is why Speith will win all in front of him over the next few years. He relishes the top of the leaderboard rather than fearing it.

Agree 100%.

I mentioned this at start of year that I usually lay any player who is odds on now going into the final round of a tournament. It's brought me few quid in for sure.

I would start posting it here but its really none runner and be too much aftertiming.

But if anybody wants make few quid in gambling backing odds on or even risking laying the leader on the Exchanges will give you nice reward.

This year alone has been unreal alone. If I was a heavy gambler I have enough to quit my job ;). I'm not that lucky (or brave)

Advertisement