Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,316 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yep Louise at 25\1
    Stenson 25\1 both win only
    Kevin Na ew 150\1 with boyles

FRL Keegan Bradley 33\1ew

Rodgers 45\1 and Ortiz 80\1 in the other event both ew

Gl all this week

Another place. Can't complain I guess, roll on USPGA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Happy to put Bubba up for the final major. 20/1 available with Ladbrokes and I'm shocked they are going that price. I didn't think I'd be able to get 16's.

He is in great form - 2nd in last two comps. Has good course form - beaten in a play off last time. Likes to win and embraces the opportunity rather than shítting himself. I think he'll win by 3 or more shots. A stroll. Speith is the only player I really fear.

I have DJ backed, a few times, from months ago but Bubba will be carrying my current money.

Ya got in Watson at 20s win only. Him and Day will be main bets.

Will do few more ew ones by Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Haven't been able to put up much reasoning the last few weeks but have a bit of time now! Even though this is the longest par 70 on the PGA tour, I think it suits the door longer/straighter hitter than just an outright bomber. Bubba and DJ have struggled in the past here so I think (hopefully) you can overlook them.

Rose -- Hasn't won this year but a 2nd in the masters, T6 in the Open and T4 last week has him in very good nick. Has a couple of nice finishes here in the past and I think he'll be very motivated to register his first win.

Matsuyama -- I knew he was playing well this year but I didn't realise how well until you delve into his stats. In his last 11 events he hasn't finished outside of the top 23 and even more impressively, he has a 33% top 5 finish rate this year in total events.

Stenson -- I know he can be flakey at the best of times but he's 1st in Total Driving and 1st in ball striking on the PGA tour this year and if he can get that putter working I think he'll be a big danger this week and next week at the final major of the year.

In the Barracuda I'm going for Jonas Blixt at 50/1. He's a former top 5 player in previous majors and on his day (esp if the putter lights up) he must have a chance in this field. Him and an old favourite of mine, I'm hoping that David Toms can rediscover a bit of form and go close. He has a few top 20s this year and this is just a speculative shout on him at a decent 60/1.

On the three guys for the WGC, going to take them all top 10 as well. Best of luck folks.

One of the more frustrating weekends on the golf betting front. Matsuyama faded after a decent start but Rose was joint first going into Sunday and never got going. Stenson had 11 consecutive pars followed by a bogey on 18th to drop him out of a place.

However much worse was in the Barracuda where Toms and Blixt where 1st and 2nd going into the final day only to implode, Toms barely hanging on for a place and Blixt pretty much having the worst round of anyone in the top 25 to finish a mile back.

I have to agree with pretty much most on here that Bubba and DJ seem to be very strong for this week. Speith too obviously but I'll let him win at his current price and not lose too much sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Evocative

Furyk and Dubuisson E/W @50's and 200's respectively

• Advertisement

Added Reed 65/1 ew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Read earlier a punter took Boyle Sports for nearly 24K. He had €150 e/w on Lowry at 125/1 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

Mickelson, Bubba, Day, Fowler and DJ. all e/w

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Stenson @ 28/1.
    The course is made for him.

A small one on Harris English @ 250/1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Bubba @ 25/1 now only 16's
    Day @ 20/1 now only 14's
    D.J @ 14/1 now gone to 16's
    Rickie @ 25/1 just backed him earlier.

4 big name picks, win only on them all

Small E.W's on Lingmerth, Lee, Streb & Thomas.

• Advertisement

Bubba @ 25/1 now only 16's
    Day @ 20/1 now only 14's
    D.J @ 14/1 now gone to 16's
    Rickie @ 25/1 just backed him earlier.

4 big name picks, win only on them all

Small E.W's on Lingmerth, Lee, Streb & Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Stenson @28's, Bubba @22's, Oost @33's win only.

Casey ew at 80's a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trouble in P

On Louis Oosthizen at 35/1 e/w and Troy Merritt e/w at 250/1. Will wait to see how Spieth is doing after round 1 before I back him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Similar week for me,

WGC
    Oosthuizen
    Danny Lee

Barracuda
    Schniederjans
    Rodgers

Northern Ireland
    Hoey

Mix of singles, doubles and trebles e/w. All pretty small stakes.

Lee and Rodgers leading after round one got me excited, small return in the end with Lee placing.

tomaussie wrote: »
    Happy to put Bubba up for the final major. 20/1 available with Ladbrokes and I'm shocked they are going that price. I didn't think I'd be able to get 16's.

He is in great form - 2nd in last two comps. Has good course form - beaten in a play off last time. Likes to win and embraces the opportunity rather than shítting himself. I think he'll win by 3 or more shots. A stroll. Speith is the only player I really fear.

I have DJ backed, a few times, from months ago but Bubba will be carrying my current money.

Even though I really can't see past Bubba (and i have backed him again and will probably back him again before kick off) I will pick two outsiders to add interest for viewing purposes.

Danny Lee had really impressed me recently and I think 100/1 is a good price for him so I'll have a dabble.

Stephen Bowditch is another I've followed once or twice this year and 175/1 doesn't truly reflect his chances in my opinion.

Really looking forward to this now and Bubba is my most confident selection so far this year and i should stop backing him now but as long as I'm getting 20/1 I'm finding it hard to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Even though I really can't see past Bubba (and i have backed him again and will probably back him again before kick off) I will pick two outsiders to add interest for viewing purposes.

Danny Lee had really impressed me recently and I think 100/1 is a good price for him so I'll have a dabble.

Stephen Bowditch is another I've followed once or twice this year and 175/1 doesn't truly reflect his chances in my opinion.

Really looking forward to this now and Bubba is my most confident selection so far this year and i should stop backing him now but as long as I'm getting 20/1 I'm finding it hard to stop.

Am totally with you on Stephen Bowditch. 175/1 seems like a huge price for him. In good form this season, hits the ball long and his sand saves/scrambling/putting stats are decent enough.

Also think Jimmy Walker could be overpriced at 80/1 if the wind gets up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

What do people think of Rory e/w? He has gone into 12's now. Despite just being back from injury, I think that might be pretty big for a man who won it twice in the past 3 years? Or maybe I'm being delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

FatRat wrote: »
    What do people think of Rory e/w? He has gone into 12's now. Despite just being back from injury, I think that might be pretty big for a man who won it twice in the past 3 years? Or maybe I'm being delusional.

Well it all depends on the state of his adductor muscle, only he know how likely his tournament will be over Thursday.

Speaking of which, anyone like the look of Lowry 10/1 for top GB&1? If Rory doesn't finish isn't he as likely as anyone else. Or will the weekend's exertions have taken their toll...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

+2 on Bowditch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I am glutten for punishment but I just can't get away from Dustin Johnson again this week

• Advertisement

Lads, just about Bowditch, I had him backed last week, but decided not to keep him this week even though he had a decent finish. Reason being I saw his interview after his 63 on the Saturday and he said that he was swinging it awful before that round and he was low in confidence in general, something clicked in the round that gave him confidence but in my mind as an amateur psychologist I just felt he didn't inspire confidence at all.

What I'm trying to say in a long winded post is that, although his results have been good lately I don't think he's as confident as he should be and I doubt his swing will hold up in a major at the business end to even hold onto a place.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I am glutten for punishment but I just can't get away from Dustin Johnson again this week

I'm glutten free these days myself!

Quick question.

Almost every week I have my research done and bets placedon Tuesday (which is monday night your time).

I hate losing out on odds because some internet or paper guy might choose players I like. I know this is relevant to the racing post tipster. I never get to read his reviews as I don't have access to the racing post.

I like to read what others have written after I've made my selections but besides Boards I don't have anywhere else to go so I usually only read what Rob Bolton writes in his power rankings.

I've found "down the 18th" but can't really find anything else. Any suggestions of where to go online to read about selections that have reasoning ?

Did I really say quick question ?

Quick question.

Almost every week I have my research done and bets placedon Tuesday (which is monday night your time).

I hate losing out on odds because some internet or paper guy might choose players I like. I know this is relevant to the racing post tipster. I never get to read his reviews as I don't have access to the racing post.

I like to read what others have written after I've made my selections but besides Boards I don't have anywhere else to go so I usually only read what Rob Bolton writes in his power rankings.

I've found "down the 18th" but can't really find anything else. Any suggestions of where to go online to read about selections that have reasoning ?

Did I really say quick question ?

Steve Rawlings writes good previews, I don't always agree with his selections but offers good insight and reasoning

https://betting.betfair.com/golf/us-pga-championship/the-uspga-championship-2015-betting-preview-070815-167.html

Is the link to his latest but can also be found on Twitter @stevethepunter I think is his username

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

ive thrown my few bobs on kaymer @50/1 with boyles ...win only....special offer is a refunded stake 2nd or 3rd including ties which is nice.......

a small outside bet on soren klejsen@250/1.......i like his putting style and a small bit of form....and if the wind blows it could suit him..

ive done john daly 1st rd leader 300/1 e/w harrington 110e/w and monty 200/1 e/w all for 1rst rd leaders......

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Nothing to out there this week.

DJ win
    Bubba win
    Louis O ew

Will probably put on a couple of first round leader bets later as well

Right done (I think). Will do bit of write up later.

Day 18\1, Bubba 20/1 and Reed 65\1 ew already mentioned.

Added
    Koepka 45\1
    Thomas 90\1
    Henley 200\1.

FRL
    D Johnson 22\1 win only
    Steele 150\1 ew

Top Englishman
    Willett 10\1 ew

Is Harringtons injury worse than first thaught?

470.0 on betfair is massive, had to have a play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Right I think people are pretty much in agreement for this week. The course should favour the longer hitters. Even though in 2010 when it hosted that years PGA, the likes of Zach Johnson and Camillo Villegas who wouldn't be long off the tee finished top 10, the course played very dry that week and the ball would skip down the fairway and allow the shorter hitters to hit higher clubs into the massive greeens.

This week it appears it will play a lot softer and that has to play into the bomber's hands. Also, whenever a course is used multiple times in a major, it would be foolish to ignore that. In 2010, Bubba, DJ, Day and Rory all finished inside the top 10. Bubba, DJ and Day are the top three in driving distance this year on the PGA tour. I have backed DJ from awhile back and Bubba more recently but think Day must have a great chance too.

I am also finding it very tough not to back Rory. He is 12/1 in some places and you won't see that price again for a major until he's well into his late 30s. He's a class act and if he is ready to go, he has to have a chance.

My last three picks are Koepka, Matsuyama and Russel Henly. All have been going well this year and hit it long. Henly actually has a couple of top 20 major finishes this year too and played nicely last week.

I've also gone Bubba and Day top 10 and the last three lads top 20 too. Best of luck lads.

• Advertisement

Bets finally done !

My biggest ever golf bet on Dustin Johnson! @16s

Decent bet on Rose @20s

A nice bet on Harrington @470.0

A few small bets on the following
    Simpson @270.0
    Mahan @420.0
    Watney @420.0
    English @540.0

Also Dustin @25s and Rose @30s for FRL