Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Have gone with

Day
    Phil
    Reed
    Snedeker
    Dufner
    Na
    Bowditch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Bets finally done !

My biggest ever golf bet on Dustin Johnson! @16s

Decent bet on Rose @20s

A nice bet on Harrington @470.0

A few small bets on the following
    Simpson @270.0
    Mahan @420.0
    Watney @420.0
    English @540.0

Also Dustin @25s and Rose @30s for FRL

Fair play. You are very loyal indeed.

I have backed DJ several times,early season, for this competition but I would swap all those stakes for Bubba now.

DJ has not had the season I thought he would have and I think he has been regressing. He must be at last chance saloon for you ?

Bubba, on the other hand, has had a good season - is in great form currently - has proven he can win - has course form - the fact the course is soft is another thing in his favour.

I don't think I've ever been this confident going into a tournament. I would genuinely make Bubba favourite or at least joint favourite with Speith.

I think Bubba should be backed as a stakes saver for people that haven't backed him and if he does win I'll have a brand new van sitting on my driveway by next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

tomaussie wrote: »
    Fair play. You are very loyal indeed.

I have backed DJ several times,early season, for this competition but I would swap all those stakes for Bubba now.

DJ has not had the season I thought he would have and I think he has been regressing. He must be at last chance saloon for you ?

Bubba, on the other hand, has had a good season - is in great form currently - has proven he can win - has course form - the fact the course is soft is another thing in his favour.

I don't think I've ever been this confident going into a tournament. I would genuinely make Bubba favourite or at least joint favourite with Speith.

I think Bubba should be backed as a stakes saver for people that haven't backed him and if he does win I'll have a brand new van sitting on my driveway by next weekend.

Loyal or stupid I am still unsure which!

What I do know is that both Dustin and Rose owe me nothing, having had some very decent wins on both in the past.

My feelings at the start of this year was that both were nailed on to win a major at some stage over the next few years and if I was still getting 16s+ and it is a course that should suit their game then its a bet. However Dustin is coming close to last chance saloon when it comes to majors for me.

I am sure a lot of people are in a similar situation when it comes to Jason Day aswell and I think a lot of us in general stay loyal as such to golfers we back to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

DJ is my main bet, also have him FRL.

Bubba win
    Danny Lee e/w
    Bowditch e/w

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Dj for me doesn't have the course management of the other players at his price range, he hits lovely irons and driver but I am not sure he is quiet as good as Bubba, Rose etc when it comes down to it.

One thing he is though is a winner, at his peak he won quiet bit he goes for it so you have that on your side.

Grace for me is very overpriced he should enjoy this sort of course. Kuchar also is a little forgotten he showed glimpses last week and he has won this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So here's my foolproof plan:

I'm on Stenson as top European @ 8/1 and if he flops, Kjeldsen as top Scandinavian @ 10/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

So here's my foolproof plan:

I'm on Stenson as top European @ 8/1 and if he flops, Kjeldsen as top Scandinavian @ 10/1.

What you don't want there is Rory to win and Stenson to finish 2nd overall! ;)

Of the "other" markets I've taken Casey as top Englishman and a double of Grillo top Argentinian and Kaymar top German at 6/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Went with stenson, lingmerth and harrington 6 places. Also casey frl ew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

bubba,ousthazen and harrington e/w ,i must open a betfair account,paddy power had harrington 175 out to 200 and back to 175 yesterday,big difference to 470

skippymac6 wrote: »
    What you don't want there is Rory to win and Stenson to finish 2nd overall! ;)

Or Lingmerth to win.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Boom!

Dustin makes it an already very profitable weekend!!!

We'll done lads on DJ for FRL.

Great pick. Fantastic price.

Waiting to see if I can get at least 40's on Bubba outright before I back him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

YayaBanana wrote: »
    DJ is my main bet, also have him FRL.

Bubba win
    Danny Lee e/w
    Bowditch e/w

Good luck everyone.

Cheers Redzer, only added the FRL when you tipped it, I owe you a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,316 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Right done (I think). Will do bit of write up later.

Day 18\1, Bubba 20/1 and Reed 65\1 ew already mentioned.

Added
    Koepka 45\1
    Thomas 90\1
    Henley 200\1.

FRL
    D Johnson 22\1 win only
    Steele 150\1 ew

Top Englishman
    Willett 10\1 ew

Happy with that. I reckon I have nowhere near as much as Lads have on but its enough to pay my gym membership for 2 months ;). I only had 4 euro on it, but nice start to week and can relax bit now.

tomaussie wrote: »
    We'll done lads on DJ for FRL.

Great pick. Fantastic price.

Waiting to see if I can get at least 40's on Bubba outright before I back him again.

Didn't see any of Bubba's round, how did he play?
    I see he is still only best price 35s but if never seen someone so confident in a pick I might follow you you with a saver if the price drifts

Speaking of which, anyone like the look of Lowry 10/1 for top GB&1? If Rory doesn't finish isn't he as likely as anyone else. Or will the weekend's exertions have taken their toll...

Well thankfully I didn't get any encouragement on this...

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Didn't see any of Bubba's round, how did he play?
    I see he is still only best price 35s but if never seen someone so confident in a pick I might follow you you with a saver if the price drifts

Short story.

If you fancy somebody to win they don't need to lead from the start.

It's hard to lead on day one and win. Many winners this year have come from off the pace even on the final day so I'm not discouraged.

I have a habit of following my pick irrespect of day 1-2 performance and a few months back when I backed JB Holmes to win (from the outset) he was 100/1 going into the final day and I had a few small bets at that price. He won in a play off.

I suppose I just follow to the death. I was lucky on that occasion but I believe you have to support your initial research.

Dustin Johnson would break your heart. The only player in the top 40 to be over par at the suspension of play....

Backed Finau at 30/1 few hours back.

I have backed this guy quite a lot this year so be disappointed not to be on if the unlikely happened. Win only though.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Dustin Johnson would break your heart. The only player in the top 40 to be over par at the suspension of play....

Phone was dead all evening so just in the door to see that, he is an enigma alright!!!

Long way to go but was genuinely thinking I'd be coming in to him at least -10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

100/1 snedecker .....took a go at that each way ..... post a good round tomorrow and who knows what could happen coming down the stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

if dj can win a major he will surely win many more. he just hasnt got it mentally at the moment. the last major he missed a lot of birdie putts early in round 3 and he looked like he didnt care when he started to make a few bogeys. he must be even more frustrated than his backers. seems like a nice guy in his interviews and he says his time will come. but its got to hurt when he keeps bringing his D game to major weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Small bet on Kaymer @ 16-1 anything can happen on the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

DJ's place chance gone with an 8 on the 1st!!

DJ's place chance gone with an 8 on the 1st!!

And he's played fantastic since and could have even challenged without that quad, would certainly have placed. Might yet still but he's just an enigma unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mailburner wrote: »
    day being clipped from 20s for the uspga by most

took the 20s with 365 whilst still there

probably wouldn't have backed him at 14s or so and surprised how easy
    he did it in the end after so many near misses

great to see him finally win a major regardless of betting

cannot wait for next years majors, pray to god dj finally wins one

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

get in day!! delighted for him and happy to make a few quid too:)

Right done (I think). Will do bit of write up later.

Day 18\1, Bubba 20/1 and Reed 65\1 ew already mentioned.

Added
    Koepka 45\1
    Thomas 90\1
    Henley 200\1.

FRL
    D Johnson 22\1 win only
    Steele 150\1 ew

Top Englishman
    Willett 10\1 ew

Oh yes!

FRL winner!
    Outright winner!
    And a place, to help the bank.

It's been a bloody good 4 weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

mailburner wrote: »
    probably wouldn't have backed him at 14s or so and surprised how easy
    he did it in the end after so many near misses

great to see him finally win a major regardless of betting

cannot wait for next years majors, pray to god dj finally wins one
    ianburke wrote: »
    get in day!! delighted for him and happy to make a few quid too:)

I echo all these sentiments!! :)

Thoroughly deserved Major for Day, he was long overdue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Oh yes!

FRL winner!
    Outright winner!
    And a place, to help the bank.

It's been a bloody good 4 weeks!!!

Well played, I had Koepka E.W too, didn't quite pull of the FRL too, but I won't complain.

Advertisement