Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

skippymac6 wrote: »
    In 2010, Bubba, DJ, Day and Rory all finished inside the top 10. Bubba, DJ and Day are the top three in driving distance this year on the PGA tour. I have backed DJ from awhile back and Bubba more recently but think Day must have a great chance too.

I am also finding it very tough not to back Rory. He is 12/1 in some places and you won't see that price again for a major until he's well into his late 30s. He's a class act and if he is ready to go, he has to have a chance.

My last three picks are Koepka, Matsuyama and Russel Henly. All have been going well this year and hit it long. Henly actually has a couple of top 20 major finishes this year too and played nicely last week.

I've also gone Bubba and Day top 10 and the last three lads top 20 too. Best of luck lads.

Day top 10, Henley & Koepka top 20 and Koepka ew all land but how I didn't pull the trigger on Day I'll never know. Been on all his narrow losses but just fancied Bubba and DJ more this week. Great shout all that got on him

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Can someone help me work out my (meagre) winnings please?

I had Koepka to place with Boylesports. 40/1. €5 each way. 5 to place.

He came tied 5th, so a dead heat scenario kicks in. 2 players tied 5th.

I received €8.75 in winnings. Can't figure out how this amount was calculated.

Their customer service was unable to provide transparent calculations - just an assurance that their trading department verified this return was correct. Unsatisfactory to say the least.

Would appreciate if anyone could shed light on this. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

D Hayes wrote: »

Their customer service was unable to provide transparent calculations - just an assurance that their trading department verified this return was correct. Unsatisfactory to say the least.

They're not called SpoilSports for nothing!

Ok the way I see it, you have 5e.w at 40/1, presuming you got 1/4 odds then you have a 1/4 of 40 which is 10euro so 5 on that should be 50 euro, with the fact it was a tie the dead heat rules the way I understand them means you should have got half of the 50, so 25quid with your fiver back should be your winnings, dunno how they arrived at 8.75.

Edit : If that's not clear, in a nutshell you look to be shafted by them, 30 euro I make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

D Hayes wrote: »

looks like you were robbed, get onto their twitter page if livehelp doesnt work or just keep ringing them until they admit their mistake

you should have half your place stake at full place odds
    2.50x10 plus your stake so 27.50 is what you should have got

could be a case of here's what you could have won :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLRnOlY1ldY

I sent them a DM on Twitter - they responded with this gem:

"it would be 1.25 by 1/5 of the odds as he was placed so 1/5 of 40/1 is 8 - plus your 3/4 of your stake back due to the dead heat"

I'm more confused now...I didn't think that's how dead heats were handled in golf :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Must have had €2.50 e/w which is a fiver bet

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Must have had €2.50 e/w which is a fiver bet

Thanks - that was it

Sorry fellas - my bad - it was indeed 2.50 each way :o

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Congrats to all who backed Day last week. I had to stop backing him recently because of injury and health problems and I will not back him again until he is many months free of any concerns. It really hurts when somebody you've marked as a Major winner does the business when you are not on. I think the US Open was the last time I backed him.

In hindsight I think DJ for FRL was a good bet and pity I didn't realise it at the time. I was thinking of nothing but Bubba winning and that didn't go too well at all.

This week I like the look of SNEDEKER and HAAS but I'll side with SNEDEKER at 18/1. He's not been himself this year but has played well and managed a victory. He has good course form and, more importantly, has the ability to win when in contention.

It looks a bit open, to say the least, in Europe and I'm struggling to find an angle. WARREN is a worthy favourite but I'm going to go with MATTHEW FITZPATRICK at 20/1. A cracking looking player, with a good pedigree, and I think he will be a multiple winner in time. I was really taken with his latest performance and he did very well going head to head with DANNY WILLET in his latest start. I was really impressed with how WILLET held himself together to win but I was equally impressed with how hard FITZPATRICK pushed him. He has been impressive when I've watched him and any wind won't be a problem. 20/1 isn't a great price but he offers more than most and there isn't any depth to this field.

I could do with an nice double about now.

Also, can anybody tell me why there are no prices available for FED EX cup outright winner ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Made in Denmark
    Karlberg @40/1
    Madsen @100/1

Wyndham
    Simpson @28/1

All E/W singles and doubles outright and frl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Fitzpatrick ew in Denmark
    Casey sneds and boo weekly ew in Wyndham. Ew double with sneds and fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,316 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Slightly Smaller stakes this week then usual

Simpson 30\1
    Schwartzel 40/1
    Rodgers 80/1
    Blixt 100\1

FRL Casey 40/1, Barnes 100\1. All ew

Gl everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭frat

Colsaerts, Paisley and Karlsson In Europe
    Snedeker and Simpson in US

6 doubles between these lot

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Added Thomas and Wilcox in Wyndem. Ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Denmark
    Olesen 33 and Riu 250

Wyndham
    Rodgers 55
    Els 150
    Cortiz 150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

This week gone for:

Made in Denmark 2015

S.S.P Chawrasia 80/1 & Bradley Dredge 40/1

Wyndham Championship 2015

Webb Simpson 25/1 & Bill Haas 28/1

Good luck all

Made in Denmark: Peter Hanson 25/1

Wyndham Champ: Adam Scott 22/1 (can't have him go off at 22/1 in a field like this even though he's playing so badly), Justin Thomas 25/1 & Carl Pettersson 50/1

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Forgot to post, nothing on in the PGA this week for me.

Marc Warren 10/1 - European Tour
    Alison Lee 70-1 - LPGA
    Both EW

GL All.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Took Branden Grace win only @25/1 a while back as my only bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

anyone for tiger at 7/2? :D

surely a bit of value out there now
    took simpson ew at 11/1 and a win bet on blixt 10/1

• Advertisement

Slightly Smaller stakes this week then usual

Simpson 30\1
    Schwartzel 40/1
    Rodgers 80/1
    Blixt 100\1

FRL Casey 40/1, Barnes 100\1. All ew

Gl everyone.

A place and 1\4, literally.

If Blixt had got a place I would have been delighted but poor last round.

Cause I got 6 places Simpson gave me a return, all be it small.

I backed Zach Johnson before The Open and he came 6th by himself and I also had 6 places back then. Basically, what I'm try to say, is always try get best prices and places you can. It can be the difference between good and bad weeks, and even can determine the profit and loss over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

A place and 1\4, literally.

If Blixt had got a place I would have been delighted but poor last round.

Cause I got 6 places Simpson gave me a return, all be it small.

I backed Zach Johnson before The Open and he came 6th by himself and I also had 6 places back then. Basically, what I'm try to say, is always try get best prices and places you can. It can be the difference between good and bad weeks, and even can determine the profit and loss over the year.

I followed you on Rodgers, I've backed him a couple times this year, I started to get excited when he got within one of the lead, then he dropped 5 shots in 4 holes. Maybe next week.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    I followed you on Rodgers, I've backed him a couple times this year, I started to get excited when he got within one of the lead, then he dropped 5 shots in 4 holes. Maybe next week.

Ya, he is a guy to look out for that's for sure. I get feeling he win though when out of blue.

Betting wise its been strange year. Lot of strange winners. Like Love and happy for him, but in no way would I have even considered backing him.

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Made in Denmark: Peter Hanson 25/1

Wyndham Champ: Adam Scott 22/1 (can't have him go off at 22/1 in a field like this even though he's playing so badly), Justin Thomas 25/1 & Carl Pettersson 50/1

Pettersson in the logerjam for T6 which takes home a small bit, everything else can be ignored. God Adam Scott is playing poorly at the minute.

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Casey giving me something but he could and probably should have won this week. Ultimately frustrating but can't complain really

Forcing a bet this week. No strong fancies.

Going for Bubba in America at 25/1 and Eddie Pepperell at 18/1 in Europe.

My main bet will be DJ for FRL. I'll also have a bet on Bubba for FRL.

The only bet I want is for Fed Ex Cup, outright winner, but can't find a market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Richard Fowler & James Furyk both E.W.

Rezer - thanks for that link to the Stephen Rawlings previews. Very interesting reading. His research and reasoning seems to be head and shoulders above anything I've found on the web. Is he any good at getting returns ?

I usually have my picks made by Monday evening so it's nice to read what the experts have to say in the following days.

I have recently found - golfstrat, down the 18th and golf aficionado. I've only ever read Rob Bolton up until recently.

Finally, has anybody a link to prices for the outright winner of the Fed Ex Cup ?

I can't find anything.

Casey and Snedeker and Jonas Blixt in the Barclays ew
    Kakko in Czech ew
    Kakko and Blixt ew double.
    GL all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Czech Masters
    Olesen 66/1

The Barclays

Streb 50/1
    Lee 66/1
    Furyk 33/1

and Donald 80/1 Palmers pick in the racing post.

Advertisement