Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golf Tips Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Right so what are peoples thoughts on the Byron Nelson this week??

At the moment Im leaning towards Leishman, Crane, Overton and Points in that order but still not fully decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

At the moment Im leaning towards Leishman, Crane, Overton and Points in that order but still not fully decided.

Wide open event I am just having a small bet on jason day but it wouldnt surprise me the see a big priced winner. Someone like Patrick Reed that is a local texan could go well at a big price.

I do think Leishman is very short though but i thought that about Horschell a few weeks ago and he went out and won

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

HP Byron Nelson:

1) Ben Crane @ 45/1
    2) Boo Weekley @ 55/1
    3) Henrik Norlander @ 200/1[ - Made the cut 5 times in a row recently after a poor start to the season, and in those cuts made he finished T15 in New Orleans and a T16 at the Wells Fargo in his last 2 tourneys.

Volvo Matchplay:

1) Nicolas Colsaerts @ 10/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

HP Byron Nelson

Marc Leishman @ 20/1 Was hoping for a better price but he has had a good year so I'm hoping for another good showing this weekend.

Also going with small bets on a couple outsiders, Have already backed Norlander so good to see I'm not the only one who fancies him, and I might actually add Ben Crane too, has been playing pretty well recently.

Henrik Norlander @ 150/1
    Anders Romero @ 150/1

Volvo World Match Play Championship

Henrik Stenson @ 15/2

Also for tomorrows matches I'm going with treble of

Stenson, Colsaerts and McDowell at a bit more than 4/1

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ianburke

had a look at recent byron nelsons.jason day and da points stood out to me as doing very well here in recent years. will back them both each way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Scott Piercy @100/1 e/w and e/w first rd leader @80/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Byron Nelson

Jordan Spieth - 35/1
    Keegan Bradley - 20/1
    Jimmy Walker - 30/1

Volvo Matchplay

Graham McDowell - 8/1 To win outright.

Two doubles:

McDowell - 8/11
    Colsaerts - 4/5
    &
    McDowell - 8/11
    Poulter - 4/6

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

Did a patent this week on g - mac Louis ousthausin and Peter uilhen in the tournaments this week and a small re treble to

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Byron Nelson:
    Harrington
    Karlsson

Volvo
    Brandan Grace
    Bo Van Pelt

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭frat

jokser250 wrote: »
    Did a patent this week on g - mac Louis ousthausin and Peter uilhen in the tournaments this week and a small re treble to

A patent includes a treble!

Day and Colsaerts for me, nice double!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sb78

Byron Nelson final picks:
    Day 12
    Kuchar 16
    Palmer 25
    Spieth 33

not a lot of value out there, and with most of the big players missing, not many stand out selections. I narrowed it down to the above 4 selections plus Bradley, Dufner and Walker. But I can't have Dufner at the moment, and Walker seems to save his best rounds for Sunday, so might have a look at him then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Went with these 4 and added Norlander who I had on my original shortlist and when I seen a few mention him here I had to include him or I would be kicking myself.

Good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Harris English stands out for me (50/1 at PP and available elsewhere at 66/1)

He's in his second full season on the PGA Tour & was a major talent on the second tour & on the college circuit.

Most important, he plays well in the wind & very windy conditions are predicted.

My second choice is Matt Every who is available at 100/1 & better.

Had a total mind blank it seems and forgot to put money on Bradley pre-tourney >_<

It's not often you'd see a course record being broken with two bogeys on the card, hopefully he keeps it up now for the last 3 days! 2/1 is very skimpy for those looking to get on him now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

Hoki wrote: »
    It's not often you'd see a course record being broken with two bogeys on the card, hopefully he keeps it up now for the last 3 days! 2/1 is very skimpy for those looking to get on him now.

Should win comfortably from here. If he doesn't ........ Waste of space.

fangee wrote: »
    Should win comfortably from here. If he doesn't ........ Waste of space.

Hardly,he's only 3 clear of Charl with 3 rounds to go.....hardly a shoe in at this stage especially as the weather could get a bit nasty

Hardly,he's only 3 clear of Charl with 3 rounds to go.....hardly a shoe in at this stage especially as the weather could get a bit nasty

Psychologically he should be competent enough to realise that 3 more rounds averaging -3 or -4 under will see him win. Just depends on his mindset. If he can't manage his head / game then I think that makes him average.

fangee wrote: »
    Psychologically he should be competent enough to realise that 3 more rounds averaging -3 or -4 under will see him win. Just depends on his mindset. If he can't manage his head / game then I think that makes him average.

I think you are over simplifying it tbh. There are more than just mental factors in play here.

I think you are over simplifying it tbh. There are more than just mental factors in play here.

Correct,for example if the wind picks up imo it won't suit him.
    Also,saying a couple under will do each round will do doesn't work,u have to stay in the moment,don't look ahead.
    Bradly is great battler,no doubt but going pillar to post is tough and I think at 2/1 I would not be getting involved.

• Advertisement

So who's happier today - people who backed Bradley or Leishman ?

Are we now saying that having a player -10 after one round and 3 clear of his nearest opponent and at least 5 clear of all but 4 players should not be able to win from there ?

We are not talking about Castro from last week who predictably fell apart in round two. Bradley is a recent Major winner.

I'm not saying he will win or I'd back him at 2/1.

I'm saying he should have the ability to see it out from here. If he doesn't then I think that is pretty weak mentally.

I haven't backed him so I'd love to see a meltdown but I just don't think it will happen.

On a non-betting note, is there a more spectacular course in Europe than the one at Thracian Cliffs resort?

Couple of bets in play just there since my pre-tourney bets in the US are pretty much dead.

Marc Leishmann @ 33/1 (Ladbrokes)
    Camillo Villegas @ 50/1 (General)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Couple of bets in play just there since my pre-tourney bets in the US are pretty much dead.

Marc Leishmann @ 33/1 (Ladbrokes)
    Camillo Villegas @ 50/1 (General)

Leishman was 33-1 at -4? WTF.

Scott Piercy @100/1 e/w and e/w first rd leader @80/1

the windy conditions will help Piercy and imo will not help Bradley.
    Also have John Hue backed e/w as advised earlier on in the week

the windy conditions will help Piercy and imo will not help Bradley.
    Also have John Hue backed e/w as advised earlier on in the week

Don't think Bradley will have too much of a problem in the wind. Won his first tournament in fairly high winds and even though he usually flies the ball pretty high he seems to have developed a much better control over it.

Don't think Bradley will have too much of a problem in the wind. Won his first tournament in fairly high winds and even though he usually flies the ball pretty high he seems to have developed a much better control over it.
    i agree he has improved but he still has that big high fade that appears at times when the pressure's on.

I just don't see the players closest to him having the bottle to put him under pressure. There are a couple of players on -8 who would be dangerous but they just might be too far back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Has to be squeaky bum time for everyone who did bradley

• Advertisement

Byron Nelson

Jordan Spieth - 35/1
    Keegan Bradley - 20/1
    Jimmy Walker - 30/1

Volvo Matchplay

Graham McDowell - 8/1 To win outright.

Two doubles:

McDowell - 8/11
    Colsaerts - 4/5
    &
    McDowell - 8/11
    Poulter - 4/6

McDowell clinches the Volvo matchplay :D He is without doubt one of the best Matchplay golfers in the world. Now hopefully Keegan Bradley will do the business this evening for a nice profitable weekend!

Advertisement